U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 09:31 AM

45,156 posts, read 18,798,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Researching for a reference on another topic, I came across this 45 minute piece on gardening and aging-- tips , adaptations, and such. May be of interest to all you (fellow) old guys out there.
https://pbswisconsin.org/watch/unive...we-age-rgj4oo/
I'm to the part about ergonomic tools. Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Several years ago, I realized that I did not have enough energy for a lawn. Mowing, aerating, dethatching, reseeding, weed & feed, fertilize, fungicide, ... none of it.

So we tore out all the grass and put down paths, stone walls, and garden beds. Although that was a lot of work, loads of leaf mulch, planting trees and shrubs, etc. we hired a a landscape designer and contracted with him for much of that initial work.

Weeding remains a chore, but as the perennials and ground cover plants take over, most of the weeds are along the paths and patio areas and a weed burner after a good rain usually takes care of that.

We grow veggies in grow bags, hidden from the street by a low stone wall. There is some amount of annual effort involved in filling the bags with potting soil and compost, setting up the tomato cages, and the watering system, then in the fall, dismantling it all and using the dirt as mulch around the trees and shrubs. We have it down to a system, so it's not too strenuous. But when that time comes, we will either just leave them in place or hire help.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-22-2021 at 09:57 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 09:55 AM

Watched an episode of Garden Rescue the other day in which they installed a front yard garden for a woman who walked with two forearm crutches. For some odd reason, they used several different materials -- concrete with pebbles pressed into the surface, rectangular stones with gravel along the staggered edges, gravel area in front of bench, ...

None of those seem all that secure for someone on crutches, and it reminded me how grateful I am for smooth, stumble-free paths.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:41 AM

2,138 posts, read 2,664,960 times
I'm 67 and have an energy shortage compared to 50 years ago but I still do the 50-70 foot garden every year. What I've learned is to only work an hour at a time and then take at least a 1 hour break. I can put 3 hours a day into the garden with this method.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:51 AM

4,642 posts, read 3,949,866 times
Ive gardened all my life to some extent, but since retiring, I actually garden more. The difference is I have all day to piddle around doing what I need to do, instead of rushing around the few hours of the day that I had left after working. Its one of the simple joys of my life.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:54 AM

5,803 posts, read 1,935,603 times
We have 2 raised beds and plan on building 1 more. We don't grow that many vegetables so 3 should be plenty. We get a lot of produce from a local provider. The produce is good quality and reasonably priced. I'm also 67 and slowing down a bit, but still walk 5 to 6 miles a day. No more running though.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:26 PM

28,258 posts, read 18,674,990 times
I am considering buying a kneeling bench. I have bought, over time, kneeling pads and individual knee pads. I finally found a good kneeling pad and I use it. But getting down and then up, without pain is becoming an issue.

I also have lost all resistance to cold weather. Even properly dressed, I am miserable outdoors in temps under 50 deg F. If there is a stiff breeze, I might well be miserable at 52 deg. And I have to keep my ears and chest covered.

Once the weather warms, I’ll be able to get out weeding.

As another poster has mentioned, I am good for an hour or so, and then must take a rest.

DH is starting to talk about hiring a lawn care service. He is hating mowing. He does plan to fertilize though.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:42 PM

7,029 posts, read 3,458,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am considering buying a kneeling bench. I have bought, over time, kneeling pads and individual knee pads. I finally found a good kneeling pad and I use it. But getting down and then up, without pain is becoming an issue.

I also have lost all resistance to cold weather. Even properly dressed, I am miserable outdoors in temps under 50 deg F. If there is a stiff breeze, I might well be miserable at 52 deg. And I have to keep my ears and chest covered.

Once the weather warms, I’ll be able to get out weeding.

As another poster has mentioned, I am good for an hour or so, and then must take a rest.

DH is starting to talk about hiring a lawn care service. He is hating mowing. He does plan to fertilize though.
I'm the opposite. I can function in the garden when it's about 55 degrees with a jacket on, but above 80 degrees or so I start to melt even with short sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat. I'll actually have sweat dripping off my eyebrows and down my cheeks which is distracting as well as uncomfortable. I have to do my gardening very early in the morning when it's summertime in VA.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:08 PM

1,861 posts, read 468,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Last year we finally decided that weeding was too much for us. Removed two raised flower beds, about 160 sq ft. total and planted grass. Just wasn't worth it anymore.

My 10 by 20 foot plot at the community center was overrun with grass about a foot tall (along with a lot of choggia (candy cane) beets in there...cooked up a batch tonight...tasted good). Just picked all today and removed the grass only with a hoe, rake, and a shovel in dry rock hard soil. Shouldn't have let it get that out of control...WEEDING IS THE TOUGHEST PART OF GARDENING! Am beat now...going to be sore for a while...forcing myself to get back in shape!

Last edited by Fisherman99; 02-22-2021 at 09:22 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 11:39 PM

921 posts, read 933,167 times
I tried container gardening this year, and it was a miserable failure. The only sunlight I get is on the asphalt driveway. The rest of the garden area is too shady. So, maybe raised beds would be good? The containers I used were deep but I think they got too hot. Maybe a raised bed wouldn't get too hot. I have arthritis that's pretty debilitating and can't really bend my knees too well.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I'm 67 and have an energy shortage compared to 50 years ago but I still do the 50-70 foot garden every year. What I've learned is to only work an hour at a time and then take at least a 1 hour break. I can put 3 hours a day into the garden with this method.
Same here. Work an hour. Rest for a while. Repeat a time or two. Call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden