U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 03:59 PM

15,467 posts, read 17,793,087 times

Advertisements

Yup- It's time to map out 2021. We're getting ahead of the curve and ordering any needed seeds now. The way this year has gone- sheesh we still can't find canning lids so better order stuff ahead of time.

Wife has mapped out last years planting spreads and we're checking our seed stocks. We won't need much in the way of new seeds this year.

Yeah my wife is a garden nerd, lol. She said the Master Gardener class did it to her.

For Christmas this year I'm going to make her a sign/arch for the garden that says 'Crooked Gardens', seeing as the plots are off alignment with the house. That'll be fun.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 05:24 PM

41,531 posts, read 51,394,380 times
Try to get some Delicata squash. It’s awesome.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:38 AM

75,616 posts, read 59,272,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yup- It's time to map out 2021. We're getting ahead of the curve and ordering any needed seeds now. The way this year has gone- sheesh we still can't find canning lids so better order stuff ahead of time.

Wife has mapped out last years planting spreads and we're checking our seed stocks. We won't need much in the way of new seeds this year.

Yeah my wife is a garden nerd, lol. She said the Master Gardener class did it to her.

For Christmas this year I'm going to make her a sign/arch for the garden that says 'Crooked Gardens', seeing as the plots are off alignment with the house. That'll be fun.
Looking forward to your 2021 season! I enjoyed 2020, especially with the weather updates.

Is that your order list? WOW.
Did you save any seeds from this past season?
Any plans for Artichokes or Cabbage?
You should add Fava Beans to your plot.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:00 AM

That's our planting list from last year- we mark off what we won't grow again, what we will grow for 2021 then re-print a new chart.

We have saved some seeds, have quite a bit purchased but leftover seeds and will buy the rest. And we will be growing some new bean varieties for drying, just not sure which kind yet. We're definitely growing more cabbage and bok choy.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:10 AM

17,194 posts, read 2,460,789 times
I like the arch idea A good place to add some flowers to the gardens.
Armenian cucumbers are on our list again.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:39 PM

Don't know if veggie gardeners and canners have been looking around, but around here the Mason jar lid shortage is still going on. We bit the bullet and bought some Tattler reusable lids (and Great Harvest lids- same basic idea).

I can't believe there is a shortage of lids for canning. Not something I've seen before. We're putting up some smoked pork udon soup right now (garden bok choy, carrots, onions and some other things we've had in storage). I figure if these lids seal with smoked pork shoulder soup- it should seal anything! We'll see tomorrow morning.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:58 AM

10,774 posts, read 8,938,174 times
Quote:
Don't know if veggie gardeners and canners have been looking around, but around here the Mason jar lid shortage is still going on. We bit the bullet and bought some Tattler reusable lids (and Great Harvest lids- same basic idea).

I can't believe there is a shortage of lids for canning. Not something I've seen before. We're putting up some smoked pork udon soup right now (garden bok choy, carrots, onions and some other things we've had in storage). I figure if these lids seal with smoked pork shoulder soup- it should seal anything! We'll see tomorrow morning.
I really like your nice big butcher block counter top.

I'm not surprised about there being a shortage of canning lids. I'm not seeing any here either. I think it's because of the pandemic. It's kind of like the aftermath of WW2 when I was a kid and there was still a shortage of canning supplies in most places because materials were rationed and had been used for the war effort instead.

I suspect that this time due to the uncertainties that accompanied a global pandemic and people not knowing what to expect there was likely a huge run of home preppers and really serious gardeners stocking up on all kinds of supplies like extra canning lids as well as additional supplies of mason jars. Wanting to be prepared because of fears about store bought foods and other supplies possibly not being available in the future. You never know what might happen, so better to be prepared than to be sorry.

If you run short of lids it wouldn't hurt to have a good supply of blocks of kitchen grade pure paraffin wax on hand too for putting up certain types of preserves. Melted, it can be used as a substitute in place of lids as sealer when putting up mason jars of fruits, jams, jellies, syrups, pickled foods and other acidic foods with high citric acid, pectin, sugar or vinegar content. The used wax is washable and reusable again and again for future preserves and wax can also be used to coat and preserve fresh eggs and cheeses to be kept in a cold place for many, many months. It's what my homesteading parents used when I was a kid on the farm. Waterglass works for preserving fresh eggs too.

Okay, I know I digress. Heh.

I look forward to hearing how the reusable lids you got work out for you. I've never used them before.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:58 PM

Well we pressure canned 7 quarts of pork udon noodle soup. It's a brothy soup and with the pork- it has some grease. All 7 quarts sealed just fine We'll be making the full switch to reusables now (while you can get them). I figured if these jars seal with that soup, under pressure- it'll seal anything, lol.

We followed their instructions to the letter. You don't crank the rings down. Put the gasket down on a clean jar rim, then the plastic lid, then screw on the rings while using a finger to gently hold the lid on. Turn the ring only to the point it moves the jar. Leave 1.5" of headspace. So you can see some of the broth did escape into the pressure canner because there is bout 2.5" headspace but the lids are on super tight. Turned them upside down and the are sealed tight.

Thanks on the butcher block. We've had it over 20 years. That was the only 'fixture' that has followed us our moves. Man if that counter could talk- all the stuff we've made over the years....

Last edited by Threerun; 02-16-2021 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 08:17 PM

1,757 posts, read 1,424,517 times
Quote:
Last fall, I could not find any canning lids so I had to buy jars with lids/rings. I have been looking off/on for canning lids since then but could not find any.

After reading your post, I decided to search for canning lids again and was very happy to find that they are available at very reasonable prices.

I bought 24 wide-mouth canning lids for $7.99 (after $2 off coupon)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and 2 sets of 24 regular mouth canning lids and rings for $5.99/set

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been buying Classico pasta sauce in 24 oz jar with regular mouth lids. I find Classico 24 oz jar size just perfect for canning.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:04 PM

Be careful. Amazon is allowing Chinese knock off counterfeit lids to be sold. These crooks copy the Mason logo and everything. We bought a box late in the season- total fake. We threw them out.

I looked at your first link and yup same place But looks like they changed marketing logo

Business Name:Xu Zhou Ao Zi Da Shang Mao You Xian Gong Si
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden