Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 05:21 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what the purple flowered tree is that is in bloom along the highways now from WV down to SC? The tree is about the size of a dogwood or redbud, and the flowers look a bit like a lilac, but the clusters grow upward and are shaped more like the flowers of a buckeye tree.
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 05:41 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
I'm thinking you might be talking about a Crepe Myrtle. They come in all different colors.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:07 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can someone tell me what the purple flowered tree is that is in bloom along the highways now from WV down to SC? The tree is about the size of a dogwood or redbud, and the flowers look a bit like a lilac, but the clusters grow upward and are shaped more like the flowers of a buckeye tree.
Thanks.
The trees could be Redbuds too, I see them alot here in TN.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I am betting on Crepe Myrtle (pronounced Crap Myrtle) When I was in California they were the closest to lilacs we could get.....and they come in gorgeous colors. But no lilac fragrance.....but then we had jasmine vines growing nearby.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
It's early for Crape Myrtles, they have just started leafing out well. Do they look as if they are just growing there naturally or if they have been planted to improve the look of the highway?

There is a tree, which of course I have forgotten the name, that has escaped and become an invasive species. I think it's blooming now. It has large, heart shaped leaves. Can you describe it better?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:35 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I just remembered....was it this one?

The Paulownia Tree Company - Fast Growing Flowering Shade Dragon Trees

if so, don't think of getting one. They spread like crazy and take over the natural woodlands.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I just remembered....was it this one?

The Paulownia Tree Company - Fast Growing Flowering Shade Dragon Trees

if so, don't think of getting one. They spread like crazy and take over the natural woodlands.
OK, I know the native plant people are going to scream... but I'm not trying to start a fight, honest. I've just always wondered something and would like to hear real answers and explanations (something a little more than just "it's so wrong!")

Here's what I want to know: What's so bad about planting a vigorous non-native plant? Why it would be so bad to have one of these dragon trees take over a natural wooded area? And what does "take over" mean--does that mean nothing else will survive once the dragon tree arrives?

Is it a vine that chokes trees? Does it deplete the soil? Or do they spread disease?

I have a few spots where everything is scraggly and ugly. I've tried planting native plants but they never seem to do well. If a dragon is so vigorous that it takes over this weak and spindly mess, it sounds wonderful to me--like evolution of the stronger species.

So far the only explanation I've heard is that native plants must be protected because they might someday solve cancer--but cancer's not going to be cured from the plants in my yard. What are some other reasons?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:16 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Each and every plant is part of an eco-system. Eco systems are built up of interdependant species of plants and animals. Invasive plants disrupt ecosystems and can have devestating and wide ranging effects. There are even migratory birds and butterflies that are dependant on a specific plant for part of their life cycle....it could be that if the dragon tree or purple loose strife or asian bittersweet crowds out some less vigorous native species, it could throw the whole ecosystem out of wack.

Pampas Grass, altho lovely in a controlled garden is ruining the magnificent scenery of the Coastal Highway in California up near the Big Sur. The plants in your yard don't always stay in your yard, birds carry seeds, seeds float on the wind or get stuck on the fur of passing animal.

Remember the story of Pandora's box......it isnt nice to fool with mother nature. Its not just about us and a cure for cancer....it could be about a red wing blackbird, or a red eyed vireo, or a white tail deer. The natural world isnt all about us.....we should strive to be in harmony with it.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:54 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Each and every plant is part of an eco-system. Eco systems are built up of interdependant species of plants and animals. Invasive plants disrupt ecosystems and can have devestating and wide ranging effects. There are even migratory birds and butterflies that are dependant on a specific plant for part of their life cycle....it could be that if the dragon tree or purple loose strife or asian bittersweet crowds out some less vigorous native species, it could throw the whole ecosystem out of wack.

Pampas Grass, altho lovely in a controlled garden is ruining the magnificent scenery of the Coastal Highway in California up near the Big Sur. The plants in your yard don't always stay in your yard, birds carry seeds, seeds float on the wind or get stuck on the fur of passing animal.

Remember the story of Pandora's box......it isnt nice to fool with mother nature. Its not just about us and a cure for cancer....it could be about a red wing blackbird, or a red eyed vireo, or a white tail deer. The natural world isnt all about us.....we should strive to be in harmony with it.
Nicely written. And, thanks for finally giving me a logical answer. Are there other reasons, as well?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post

So true. Down here on the gulf coast we have problems with the Chinese Tallow tree. I had several acres that was a pure stand of them because nothing else could compete with them. They also wreak havoc on wetland areas. You can drive along I-10 in Louisiana and see natural wetland areas that have been totally choked out by these weed trees.

Back to topic, the OP described the tree as being small, so I'm also thinking crape myrtle, maybe the "Muskogee" or "Catawba" cultivar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden