Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 12:55 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

I will start with Senna Pendula. I just threw the seeds in soil and they germinated quickly last spring. Now the plant is almost bush-like. I didn't even have to "baby" the seeds. And I'm usually the type who has a hard time growing plants from seed. They nearly always tend to fail on me. Except this Senna plant was very forgiving towards me.

So what plants have a high success rate with seed growing (at least, in your experience)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 02:02 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
basil is always easy for me

Old 01-20-2021, 02:52 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Cosmos, marigold, cardinal flower, nasturtiums, zinnia, nicotiana (ornamental tobacco). Sacred datura grows easily from seed but is invasive. Last year was a bumper crop of the ornamental artichoke Cardoon. I let the flowers dry in the shed and harvested the seeds last week - a bit messy - to get ready to give some away. I tested about 20 of the hundreds of seeds, with a moist paper towel; I got 100% germination. So while they are not common, one local garden center does carry it; it might be worth the try. Despite my best efforts, I get zero success with Cleome and Celosia.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:57 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Maple seeds. I get seedlings every spring. Ridiculous amounts. In the spring, they are everywhere.

Also, my moonflowers are pretty easy to grow. Technically, they're an annual, but the seed pods burst open and seed themselves.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:53 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I have good results with papaya, lemon, orange avocado, watermelon...
Many plants you can propagate from cuttings.
You need to check on your planting zone and type of soil.
https://www.gardenia.net/guide/austr...ardiness-zones

Old 01-21-2021, 08:44 AM

433 posts, read 532,153 times
I guess I don't understand the question. What are you trying to accomplish? Raise attractive flowers (marigolds.) Raise food (radishes, purslane.) or weeds?
It would probably help to know more about your conditions--soil, USDA zone, etc..

Old 01-21-2021, 08:59 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
So what plants have a high success rate with seed growing (at least, in your experience)?
Oak trees. This was a banner year for one of mine. Still picking up acorns.

There are several shrubs, like azaleas and forsythias that are easy propagated from branches vs seeds.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:38 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I will start with Senna Pendula. I just threw the seeds in soil and they germinated quickly last spring. Now the plant is almost bush-like. I didn't even have to "baby" the seeds. And I'm usually the type who has a hard time growing plants from seed. They nearly always tend to fail on me. Except this Senna plant was very forgiving towards me.

Rule of thumb for me - if any plant grows very easily from seed then that means there is always the very high risk of it quickly spreading and becoming an invasive environmental weed.

Just like your Senna Pendula, an invasive which has its origin in South America and since its introduction has now become an invasive environmental weed in Australia where you live. It has invaded watercourses, gardens, farmlands, disturbed sites, wastelands, roadsides, closed forests, forest margins and urban bushland in many parts of Australia. So you will need to stay on your toes now and make sure you keep your Senna Pendula confined and don't let it seed out into other parts of your garden space. Otherwise it can take over and choke out everything else and may become next to impossible to eradicate.

Garden plants that I have found to grow particularly far too easily from seed and with a tendency to invasiveness in my environment/climate are: snapdragons, allysum, lunaria, garlic mustard, blue bells, Chinese lantern, giant shasta daisies, rose campion, and Welsh yellow poppies (Papaver cambricum).

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-21-2021 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: addition to list

Old 01-21-2021, 03:50 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
I guess I don't understand the question. What are you trying to accomplish? Raise attractive flowers (marigolds.) Raise food (radishes, purslane.) or weeds?
It would probably help to know more about your conditions--soil, USDA zone, etc..
I'm not asking for suggestions or what plants to grow in my zone. This just a general, 'fun' question based on your experience when it comes to seeds, not mine.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:06 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
I find myself pulling Black-eyed Susans way too often.

I’m curious what vegetable plant seeds mature easily as I am thinking about starting plants inside for the first time this year. I plan on trying all of the usual suspects: tomatoes, peppers, squash, basil, parsley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden