U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 08:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 590,487 times

Advertisements

Is there something up with the map? All I get is a message about not being able to connect to the server https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov. This happened a few weeks back and then again today. It could be that I just happened to try it the only two times the server was down, or maybe it's been taken down permanently. Does anybody know if it's working or not?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 03:37 AM

94 posts, read 39,844 times
I followed your link using Safari and got a warning to go back, which I did.

Here is a link to Burpeeā€™s interactive map: https://www.burpee.com/findgrowzone

Here is a USDA link that should work: https://plants.usda.gov/hardiness.html

Old 01-30-2021, 11:07 AM

Okay, it's not just happening to me. Thanks for the links. The Burpee's one works but the USDA one did not. I can't find any explanation online for the missing map, but maybe I didn't use the right search terms.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:31 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,043,953 times
Type USDA zone map into your favorite search engine and select Images. There are tons of maps out there.

Any site selling seeds or plants will probably have a place where you can put in your zip code and it will tell you which zone you're in; some sites even detect your approximate location and tell you this automatically.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:57 PM

28,135 posts, read 18,483,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Type USDA zone map into your favorite search engine and select Images. There are tons of maps out there.

Any site selling seeds or plants will probably have a place where you can put in your zip code and it will tell you which zone you're in; some sites even detect your approximate location and tell you this automatically.
This. And if you receive plant catalogs, the correct planting zone will often be on the catalog,

States often have more detailed zone maps as well.

And you can do a google search with your zip code + planting zone

Old 01-31-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Thank you. Yes, I had already done that and figured out the zone for the area that I was interested in.

But my question still is, what happened to the government version? Why did it go away, and will it ever be brought back? I would rather use it because it's larger than the ones that can be found on gardening sites and image searches. If anybody finds an official explanation please share it here. I would hate to see a useful resource like that just up and disappear.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:27 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,043,953 times
The site is there. I got a message that said the site wasn't private, and had to click a few links and put in my computer's password, but got to it.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The site is there. I got a message that said the site wasn't private, and had to click a few links and put in my computer's password, but got to it.
Do you have a link? The one Katyroadpink posted, the only official one as far as I know, still doesn't work for me.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 4,964,890 times
It's a message saying the site's security certificate has expired. The map is still there.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's a message saying the site's security certificate has expired. The map is still there.
Different operating systems, I guess. I just get a message saying "Safari can't open the page" and no options to go further. Do you get the static map or the interactive one?

I mean, browsers. Firefox gives a warning message with the option to continue. It works. Looks like the issue is an expired certificate plus Safari won't allow a person to go further. Mystery solved. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden