U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2021, 09:30 AM

3,548 posts, read 2,997,524 times

Advertisements

I've tried searching this forum but that's been pretty unsuccessful with the multitude of returns.
Does anyone know of an app or website where I can input my criteria for a plant/tree and it will return appropriate results? For instance, I need something for an area that is about 5.5' wide, light shade, zone 7b, I have deer, maybe drought resistant, columnar, etc.... where I could input those specifics and it would return the possibilities to me? Sort of how you can input ingredients that you have on hand at allrecipes and they'll return recipes you can make with what you have.

I've been doing some reading on Planta (because I do have a lot of houseplants also) but not sure if it can do that or if it even covers outdoor plants.

I did see a website someone mentioned on a thread a while back that was pretty close but no cigar but I can't even locate that right now.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 09:46 AM

10,245 posts, read 12,950,170 times
This is one that I have used.

https://www.gardenia.net/plant-finder

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 02-01-2021 at 10:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2021, 08:01 AM

Thank you! That is the link that I believe you posted once and I could not find again. It is basically what I am looking for. It would be great if I could get returns for "deer resistant" also but that's probably asking too much. And it is a great site! Thanks!

I have a ? that maybe you can answer... it does not let me choose 7 'b' in my zones selection. Just 7 (and I'm just about at the cusp of 7b+ 8a). So, it is returning some trees to me that I know it's a bit too hot here to grow well (many have tried)... is there a way to correct that or something I'm missing? Thanks!

Last edited by writerwife; 02-02-2021 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-02-2021, 09:25 AM

22,313 posts, read 10,403,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Thank you! That is the link that I believe you posted once and I could not find again. It is basically what I am looking for. It would be great if I could get returns for "deer resistant" also but that's probably asking too much. And it is a great site! Thanks!

I have a ? that maybe you can answer... it does not let me choose 7 'b' in my zones selection. Just 7 (and I'm just about at the cusp of 7b+ 8a). So, it is returning some trees to me that I know it's a bit too hot here to grow well (many have tried)... is there a way to correct that or something I'm missing? Thanks!
Sunset Garden Book has its own scheme for designating zones.

the USDA zones were originally targeted toward farmers growing annual crops, and are based solely on winter temps.

As you are saying, for gardeners, it's a lot more complicated than that. Besides how much cold a plant can take, we also want to know how hot it gets and for how long, we want to know about wind, we want to know about south-facing vs north-facing, we want to know about rain and snow. the Sunset scheme takes those factors into account.

https://www.sunset.com/garden/climat...s-intro-us-map
https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/44/

the Sunset Garden Book is a compendium of just about all the plants grown in the US, including native plants. It contains quite a few charts and lists of what grows well where, and which plants are useful for what purposes.

I once lived in a place where I was having a hard time deciding which zone I was in. I reverse engineered - I identified the most common wild trees and shrubs on the five acres I was living on, looked them up in the Sunset Garden Book, and determined which Sunset zone they all had in common. Because 3 miles up the road, and three miles down, the trees and shrubs were different.

the Sunset Garden Book is updated every five years or so. Costs around $30. If you garden anywhere in the US, don't be without it. It's not the only reference you need - but you do need it.

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-02-2021 at 09:37 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Sunset Garden Book has its own scheme for designating zones.

the USDA zones were originally targeted toward farmers growing annual crops, and are based solely on winter temps.

As you are saying, for gardeners, it's a lot more complicated than that. Besides how much cold a plant can take, we also want to know how hot it gets and for how long, we want to know about wind, we want to know about south-facing vs north-facing, we want to know about rain and snow. the Sunset scheme takes those factors into account.

https://www.sunset.com/garden/climat...s-intro-us-map
https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/44/

the Sunset Garden Book is a compendium of just about all the plants grown in the US, including native plants. It contains quite a few charts and lists of what grows well where, and which plants are useful for what purposes.

I once lived in a place where I was having a hard time deciding which zone I was in. I reverse engineered - I identified the most common wild trees and shrubs on the five acres I was living on, looked them up in the Sunset Garden Book, and determined which Sunset zone they all had in common. Because 3 miles up the road, and three miles down, the trees and shrubs were different.

the Sunset Garden Book is updated every five years or so. Costs around $30. If you garden anywhere in the US, don't be without it. It's not the only reference you need - but you do need it.

Thank you for the information. I do know what zone I'm in tho.. But the website I was on wasn't allowing me to be more selective in entering my zone so it was returning results that didn't really fit.

I do have a lot of books (not that one tho) but was looking for an interactive thing where I could punch in my criteria and get the appropriate results rather than scanning hundreds or more of the books and websites searching for the trees that will work in the spot I'm trying to fill. But thank you, it does sound like a good reference.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

41,199 posts, read 50,991,030 times
I believe my favorite online nursery has a good filter that will let you screen for the features you are looking for, like size and deer resistance, etc. I have gotten many plants from them, and they’re super healthy.

https://www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/trees.html

Old Today, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I believe my favorite online nursery has a good filter that will let you screen for the features you are looking for, like size and deer resistance, etc. I have gotten many plants from them, and they’re super healthy.

https://www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/trees.html

Thank you.. that is a nice program. I just briefly checked it out thus far but I didn't see where I could choose deer resistant...but it does have a lot of other nice filters... thanks!

Old Today, 09:08 AM

41,199 posts, read 50,991,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Thank you.. that is a nice program. I just briefly checked it out thus far but I didn't see where I could choose deer resistant...but it does have a lot of other nice filters... thanks!
They this....
https://www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/de...and-trees.html

Old Today, 07:24 PM

8,759 posts, read 14,181,192 times
Have you checked with your local county extension agent? They should have plenty of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden