Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 08:30 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,177 times

Advertisements

Looks like the daffodils we just spotted yesterday in our yard. Ours are about 3".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 03:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post
I live in NC and its been really cold. We even got some snow last week. I am wondering what these buds are and why they appearing now? New home owner zone 7b.

Daffodils?

Thank you.

With those plump, rounded tips on them those are either daffodil shoots or hyacinth shoots. I think they are likely daffodil shoots because daffs are hardier and usually come up earlier that hyacinths.

As to why they were coming up at the time you took those pictures it's because ALL of North America is (was) under the influence of a Pacific Ocean La Nina fall and winter this year and La Ninas always tend to confuse bulbous plants into thinking spring has arrived 2 or 3 months earlier than usual. Where I live on the west coast (PNW area) the bulbous plants in the garden all started sending up shoots around the beginning of January this year because of La Nina here being very warm. Garlic, lilies, irises, tulips, crocuses, daffodils, hyacinths, snow drops, lily of the valley, narcissus, blue bells, etc.

Now this month when all the bulbous and rhizomatous shoots are already 6 inches tall or more the changeable La Nina weather has gone and tricked them again. Now we are having a full blown Arctic Blast from the Arctic Ocean sweeping over us with below freezing temperatures, bitterly harsh drying winds and a blizzard of dry blowing particles of ice-snow going sideways like a sand blaster. When the freeze started I had to go out and saturate all the bulbous and rhizomatous plants with loads of water so the water in the soil would insulate the bulbs and roots and prevent them from freeze drying and getting killed. The water did the trick, they have stopped getting any taller and the plump bulbs leaf shoots as well as the roses and snapdragons are bearing up and holding their own - but unfortunately all the primulas and the end tips of the rosemary and the heather bushes that were already fully blooming have all freeze dried anyway and I think the ends of the branches are dead.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-14-2021 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 05:14 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,506,426 times
Alliums leaves are already 5". Sedum is breaking ground. The bitter cold did not dent the Cardoon leaves. Ajuga is a nice red carpet. Mahonia is blooming.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:19 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Here in zone 8b-9, daffodils and allium don’t grow, because the winters aren’t cold enough. Things are sprouting though. Buds are swelling on the azaleas. It’s time to cut back the roses and the dead wood from last year. Hubby put pre emergent on the lawn today.

The commercial flower beds are planted with violets and pansies. The fun begins.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:03 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
My daffodil shoots are a few inches tall now, and my hellebores are fully in bloom. I made the mistake of having two varieties nearby (one a soft yellow/cream color, the other pink) and now they're all a muddy pinkish cream color. I still enjoy them.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:12 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here in zone 8b-9, daffodils and allium don’t grow, because the winters aren’t cold enough. Things are sprouting though. Buds are swelling on the azaleas. It’s time to cut back the roses and the dead wood from last year. Hubby put pre emergent on the lawn today.

The commercial flower beds are planted with violets and pansies. The fun begins.
When I see this thread come up I know Spring is around the corner. Cant believe you guys have things sprouting but you should feel lucky that the Southeast didn't get in on the Arctic Outbreak. It was more focused on Southern U.S. instead.

Nothing blooming here. Still 2 months away. Got 4" of snow on ground down from 12" last week. Another 6" coming tomorrow. Temps not passing 30s here. Everything still dormant.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:52 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Ice flowers on the windows
Daffodils with nice fat buds are buried under snow.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:31 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Ice flowers on the windows
Daffodils with nice fat buds are buried under snow.
It's a winter wonderland here. Nothing is going to start sprouting for at least 6 weeks.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:17 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I just ventured to the garden centers yesterday. There arent a ton of plants yet, but I bought some cheerful red English Daisies and some pansies. It’s about to warm up here for spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden