Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid we moved into a house with 1/2 acre and about 40 fruit trees. It had been pear orchard before the house was built, so most were pears, but also we had peaches, apples, plums, apricots and walnuts. I had to help by doing much of the pruning and spraying. in age When we moved in the trees varied but most were already 20 years old, and they were still doing fine when I moved out on my own 9 years later, so at least close to 30 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 07:34 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
While we're on the topic of fruit trees;

I hope to put a few in over the next few years. My yard isn't huge, so I'm looking for smaller trees. (Plus, I'm short!). Can I prune, say a tree that grows to 12-14 feet, down to maybe 8-10? Will that hurt the tree?

Old 02-19-2021, 08:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
While we're on the topic of fruit trees;

I hope to put a few in over the next few years. My yard isn't huge, so I'm looking for smaller trees. (Plus, I'm short!). Can I prune, say a tree that grows to 12-14 feet, down to maybe 8-10? Will that hurt the tree?
You can keep the height down with pruning but it requires some skill to maintain the quantity of fruit. Better to just purchase smaller trees.

There are full sized, semi-dwarf, and full dwarf trees available. Most sold at the big box stores are going to be semi-dwarf, but you can get dwarf at a real full-service nursery or online. I have seen true dwarfs in Apple, Peach, Apricot, Cherry, Plum, Fig, almond and nectarine trees, and they stay at about 10'. A good nursery is best, because you can see and select the tree. When you order online it's often going to be a stick with roots, for easier shipping, and it still may be healthy, but take a lot longer to produce fruit.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:51 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
And if you’re really tight on space you can train the trees as espalier. I’m growing a dwarf peach tree and have been training it into a fan shape against a southeast facing wall. Apples and pears take to being trained in a variety of shapes. It looks quite complicated at first but after reading an article and watching a couple of YouTube videos it’s not hard at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden