U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,093,080 times

Advertisements

I have a long narrow terrace garden 6x50ft. The back of the terrace is a 4ft ht rock wall.

I plan to do a row of mugo pine. I wonder what plants would look good behind the mugo pines against the rock wall.

The terrace faces west and get full harsh sun. Z7 high desert.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

1,807 posts, read 726,549 times
That's an intense micro-climate. Perhaps this link might help:

https://extension.arizona.edu/sites/...ubs/az1606.pdf

Old Today, 06:47 AM

41,189 posts, read 50,979,381 times
It’s hard to make suggestions without a picture, but what about bamboo?

https://www.bambooranch.net/

Old Today, 08:31 AM

12,841 posts, read 16,364,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I have a long narrow terrace garden 6x50ft. The back of the terrace is a 4ft ht rock wall.

I plan to do a row of mugo pine. I wonder what plants would look good behind the mugo pines against the rock wall.

The terrace faces west and get full harsh sun. Z7 high desert.
Are you close enough to visit your arboretum? https://www.washoecounty.us/parks/fi...ure%202018.pdf

I find arboretums and university gardens to be an excellent resource for design ideas, discovering native plants and others that do well in your specific area, and an added bonus in going at this time of year is it can also help you find plants that may have winter interest.

The ones I have been to generally are also a good source of plant sellers for unique or hard to find native plants, and a good way to meet locals whose brains you can pick for information and ideas.

Old Today, 08:50 AM

6,953 posts, read 3,388,883 times
My first thought would be a variety of yucca, although you might have to stagger it with the mugo pine rather than plant directly behind it, depending on the type of pine. You might want to look at the website for High Country Gardens nursery online, as they grow all their plants in New Mexico and Utah and they are pretty much for desert-like, high sun conditions. Also consult your your local county extension agent for more recommendations.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

1,807 posts, read 726,549 times
I have one mungo pine as a specimen. Of course, the southeast zone 7 is very different from the west. It is very slow growing. Perhaps behind them, for verticality, alternating a tall grass such as Karl Foerster Feather Reed Grass. I have found Karl Foerster easy to divide whereas many grasses are difficult to divide.

Russian sage perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden