U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 06:23 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,115,736 times

Advertisements

Just wanted advice on best placement for concrete lanterns in the garden. I see most pictures have them near water, I'm also seeing they're mostly tucked away as well.

Last edited by Calisonn; 02-12-2021 at 06:48 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 09:20 PM

10,649 posts, read 8,844,887 times
Traditionally you should put it in a south location in your garden in a place that YOU feel most comfortable and harmonious with. It is not essential for it to be tucked away or near water but it is good to have water as a prominent focal point somewhere in the garden. See 2nd website below.

The most important thing you need to do before you place your lantern is study up on the spiritual purpose and meaning of the lantern. It isn't just a piece of decoration, it has a real purpose. Are you trying to create a Zen garden? Are you trying to Feng Shui your garden to create a perfect, inviting garden of good luck, prosperity, peace, harmony, stability, spirituality and oneness with nature and the universe?

Here are a couple of websites for you to read about the Japanese concrete or stone lanterns and how to Feng Shui your garden (it's correctly pronounced Fung Shwayee) - there is a map there on the 2nd website that shows the most efficacious layouts and placements for various objects in the spiritually harmonious garden.

JAPANESE GARDEN LANTERNS - PURPOSE AND SYMBOLISM: https://www.purposeof.com.au/japanes...and-symbolism/

HOW TO FENG SHUI YOUR GARDEN: https://www.countryliving.com/uk/hom...i-your-garden/

Old 02-12-2021, 11:45 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,115,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Traditionally you should put it in a south location in your garden in a place that YOU feel most comfortable and harmonious with. It is not essential for it to be tucked away or near water but it is good to have water as a prominent focal point somewhere in the garden. See 2nd website below.

The most important thing you need to do before you place your lantern is study up on the spiritual purpose and meaning of the lantern. It isn't just a piece of decoration, it has a real purpose. Are you trying to create a Zen garden? Are you trying to Feng Shui your garden to create a perfect, inviting garden of good luck, prosperity, peace, harmony, stability, spirituality and oneness with nature and the universe?

Here are a couple of websites for you to read about the Japanese concrete or stone lanterns and how to Feng Shui your garden (it's correctly pronounced Fung Shwayee) - there is a map there on the 2nd website that shows the most efficacious layouts and placements for various objects in the spiritually harmonious garden.

JAPANESE GARDEN LANTERNS - PURPOSE AND SYMBOLISM: https://www.purposeof.com.au/japanes...and-symbolism/

HOW TO FENG SHUI YOUR GARDEN: https://www.countryliving.com/uk/hom...i-your-garden/

Thank you very much, this is exactly the information I was seeking

Old Today, 12:43 PM

8,315 posts, read 4,757,510 times
Don't know a thing about them but a small one caught my eye maybe twenty years ago and I tucked it in the southwest corner of my pond peeking out from some Asian lilies. Must have been luck or instinct.

I like the way that garden ornaments can encourage lingering viewing and maybe even meditation by partial concealment.

Now I'm going to have to go read up and find out more about my little decoration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden