U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2021, 08:44 PM

1,053 posts, read 4,182,543 times

Advertisements

So I'm thinking of venturing into potatoes this year....been considering either a chicken wire tower or a trash can. I keep reading that I should not just create my own seed potatoes and that I need to buy some...any reason why if I'm just doing a small amount? The place I wanted to buy from is sold out,, which got me wondering....thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 AM

5,746 posts, read 2,720,417 times
I've heard you shouldn't grow eating potatoes, but I don't remember why.
I know you shouldn't eat seeds processed for planting because they are sometimes treated with fungicides and insecticides--but that wouldn't be an issue in this case.

Maybe it's because they haven't been treated and might grow fungus and you wouldn't notice the big hairy clumps at harvest, and eat them and die.
Maybe eating potatoes are patented varieties, and it's illegal to grow them yourself (that really is a thing with some seeds and plants).
Maybe it's a myth perpetrated by seed potato providers.
Or maybe there's a good reason. I've done it and survived, but that's no guarantee of safety.

There are dozens of sites that tell you how to plant eating potatoes, but a brief review of a few didn't find any warning.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:28 AM

15,411 posts, read 17,726,957 times
You shouldn't use store bought potatoes as seed potatoes- often they are treated to avoid sprouting- long shelf life stuff.

However you can use certain known garden potatoes for seed- that's what we're doing. The smaller yukon golds and I think German butterballs are set aside in cold storage with no light to use as seeds for the upcoming season. However it is best to use starter seeds from potatoes that are suited for your area- your local extension office should have that information.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...%20next%20year.

In fact in Idaho certain varieties and store bought are NOT permitted to be grown due to the potential impact on commercial potato production. https://magicvalley.com/how-to-plant...419a4d36b.html

Montana has a certified potato seed program and all of our potatoes meet that standard.

https://www.holbrookseedpotatoes.com/

Old 02-22-2021, 05:38 AM

75,477 posts, read 59,091,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
So I'm thinking of venturing into potatoes this year....been considering either a chicken wire tower or a trash can. I keep reading that I should not just create my own seed potatoes and that I need to buy some...any reason why if I'm just doing a small amount? The place I wanted to buy from is sold out,, which got me wondering....thanks!
Good question. I did hear that home potatoes don't produce "tubers" and they'll just root but this may be helpful for you...

What I planted
//www.city-data.com/forum/34215949-post13.html

In ground
//www.city-data.com/forum/34276957-post24.html

How they looked 6 weeks later
//www.city-data.com/forum/34896010-post46.html

Harvesting some 3 months later
//www.city-data.com/forum/35628005-post99.html

Harvesting the rest 3.5 mths after planting
//www.city-data.com/forum/35811989-post108.html

In my opinion and advice to you, You'll be fine. Just make sure its not rotted. Make sure they dry. The trick is having enough planted because there always is a chance for some "bad" ones. Maybe get 1 packet of seed potatoes just in case your home ones don't produce.

Lastly... never take advice over the internet (including mine). Experience for yourself!! That's the best way to learn. If it doesn't work out, write it down, remember it, and change for the next garden season.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:41 AM

1,920 posts, read 776,290 times
I tried potatoes last year. I could not find seed potatoes in small amounts, so I used regular store bought potatoes. I waited for them to sprout before cutting them up. The results were good. Organic potatoes are not treated - or so I hear - so I might try them this year. Once I ate fresh potatoes, I never went back to the ones in the store.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:13 PM

1,053 posts, read 4,182,543 times
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I am going to start some store bought potatoes that have eyes that are starting to sprout and if it doesn't work, i can try to source some seed potatoes. Fingers crossed!

Old 02-24-2021, 03:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 174,862 times
we got some seed potatoes locally, just a few - this will be our first time trying to grow some.

Old Today, 12:12 PM

5,802 posts, read 4,554,988 times
I need to find a way to post a picture of my potato box. I am growing white potatoes. Very healthy ones.
November of last year, we got a good crop of sweet potatoes. Very tasty.

SO the debate rages about store vs seed potatoes.

I used store potatoes.

they sprouted eyes which were making the potato unusable anyway.

I but a slit of the potato, with the largest eyes, poked 3 toothpicks into it and filled a jar with water. I placed the toothpicks on the rim of the jar, and had the potato half in and half out of the water. I kept the water level up, kept indoors for about a week until I saw a green bud sprouting from the slip. I then took it outside, threw out the toothpicks into the recycling, and buried the potato here the green was just poking up through the soil. After abut a week, watering gently daily, the potato sprouted. I repeated this with a total of 5 plants.

Sweet potatoes are easier. This year, I will just use one of the smaller roots for slips, but the same process can be done with sweet potatoes, which grow in Vines, whereas White potatoes grow in a bushier plant.

I could not find any seed potatoes here, and being that I only have room for a max of 6 anyway, it was better for me to try to grow my own.

Old Today, 05:54 PM

1,265 posts, read 483,065 times
Last year was my first year growing potatoes.
I bought my seed potatoes online for about $20.
They were called purple majestic.
I dumped some good planting soil placed my seed potatoes on it and covered it with planter mix and mulch.
The crop was awesome.
Had several great meals with them as a side dish.
I even have enough left over to replant a new potato patch this year.
I like growing them.
We are in the PNW and barely had to water them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden