U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:21 PM

3,339 posts, read 4,622,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Just weeded (overrun with tall grass) my 10 by 20 foot garden plot at the local community center...wow am I going to be sore!

Starting a bunch of tomatoes up from seed now (sprouting well) and will probably just plant those soon...unfortunately, the soil is dry, hard, sandy, and looks poor...needs some type of amendments.

What is a good cost effective way to improve the soil to get a better crop? I'm thinking, I'll just go to Home Depot and get some bags of something to mix in the rows where I plant the plants? Your input is much appreciated!

Those weeds would have been a good start. Just bury them near the surface. Eggshells, coffee grounds, banana peels... all sorts of things can be buried in your soil. They'll decompose pretty fast. If you know somebody with a lawn, then grass clippings and shredded leaves are great. Just running over the leaves with a mower, will shred them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 05:18 AM

41,487 posts, read 51,356,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
coffee grounds , banana peels , egg shells , epsom salts . all of these can improve your soil .
They might, but these things take a long time to break down, so unless they were added last fall, they probably won’t help much now.

A soil test here costs $8. from the extension service. For that, OP would get a report telling him exactly what to add to the soil for vegetables.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:49 AM

3,339 posts, read 4,622,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alena75 View Post
да..... а если еще это сложить в кучу и накрыть черной пленкой, то через год как раз и будет отличный компост.....

Your method is even better. However, the Original Poster is working within a TINY, shared, intensively-cultivated area - too tiny, probably, for a compost corner. I like the idea, though, of using a black covering for the materials to be composted. That should speed decomposition quite a lot, even in cold weather. We may try that in Wyoming.

Tvet is such a beautiful place! Gardening there, must be a great pleasure.

Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

957 posts, read 205,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Just weeded (overrun with tall grass) my 10 by 20 foot garden plot at the local community center...wow am I going to be sore!

Starting a bunch of tomatoes up from seed now (sprouting well) and will probably just plant those soon...unfortunately, the soil is dry, hard, sandy, and looks poor...needs some type of amendments.

What is a good cost effective way to improve the soil to get a better crop? I'm thinking, I'll just go to Home Depot and get some bags of something to mix in the rows where I plant the plants? Your input is much appreciated!
The best fertilizer is cow manure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden