U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,941,656 times

Advertisements

I have a huge philodendron, it might be 20-30 years old, in my garden in Florida. About 8ft tall, with a brown trunk of 5ft tall. Basically a tree. It is sticking into the patio over my swimming pool.
What happens if I cut the 5ft tall brown trunk in half? Will any green leaves grow back on it, or will it die?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

13,137 posts, read 6,641,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I have a huge philodendron, it might be 20-30 years old, in my garden in Florida. About 8ft tall, with a brown trunk of 5ft tall. Basically a tree. It is sticking into the patio over my swimming pool.
What happens if I cut the 5ft tall brown trunk in half? Will any green leaves grow back on it, or will it die?
What species of Philodendron? There are many. What do you mean by "cut the 5ft brown trunk in half"?

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What species of Philodendron? There are many. What do you mean by "cut the 5ft brown trunk in half"?
Some kind of split leaf, maybe Monstera Deliciosa.
The plant has a clear brown trunk about 5ft tall, and 6-8ft long leaf stems grow out from teh top of it in all directions. I would cut the brown trunk down to 3ft, to be below the fence line.

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

1,072 posts, read 353,680 times
I'm certainly not an expert in plants but I have had philodendrons for as long as I can remember. They always seemed to be indestructible but cutting the trunk in half seems extreme. How about cutting back the stems a few feet at a time. If all goes well, then cut some of the trunk away (from one side) a little at a time. If the stems grow back from the cut section, you can then trim from the opposite side.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 353,680 times
A picture is worth a thousand words! Disregard my post. Are you sure that's a philodendron?

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

7,746 posts, read 10,082,088 times
I have no practical experience with this but with the development of air roots on the stem already I am thinking it might be difficult to flip the switch to branch production. And even if you are successful in not killing the plant you would get side shoots before leaves.

Now if you remove the green top and lay the remaining stem in tight contact with clean soil you might get those side shoots plus real root and start new plants. But you must be ready to take a risk.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

So the main thing is this trunk is hanging over the fence by 20 inches, and 6ft long leaves stick out if it. That cannot remain.
Other option is to cut it at the ground level and kill it. Or keep pruning it, so when the leaves are half size cut them off.

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

13,137 posts, read 6,641,232 times
IMHO you're going to kill the plant cutting off the main stem like that. Even if it doesn't die completely you'll still need to prune it severely in future. It looks hacked now and always will if not worse. What's the point? Remove it. There's enough other foliage that could fill in.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 05:20 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

5,769 posts, read 2,728,167 times
Sounds like it's healthy and well established. It will probably sprout a new lead stem and leaves, especially if you don't want it to.

Another option might be to pull it back from the fence, maybe using very sturdy stakes to keep it upright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden