U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 06:19 PM

7,155 posts, read 5,889,089 times

Advertisements

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 07:32 AM

13,090 posts, read 4,356,227 times
Hi there, I have been enjoying all of these photos, thanks for sharing!

The first 2 are Long Island cactus, 2nd or 3rd year from a small piece my neighbor gave me, & 3rd one is a water lily from this spring.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:13 PM

It has been about a month now since the newest additions to the garden arrived..once the rain stops look for some updated pics coming soon,

Old 10-06-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Those were nice relaxing photos to look at. Thanks, very beautiful.

For me I don't think I planted any new perennials but my Platycodon (balloon flower) that I had planted about five years ago seems to have migrated and reproduced this year underground because now, instead of a small white plant and a small blue plant, I have about four small blue plants and two more huge, tall plants, one white and one blue--about 3' tall. I'm going to have to tie them with twine, they are so tall! It's like having a new plant.

This perennial has been perfect for hot all day sun and even during drought it has thrived. I'm in love with it.
Hey there, thanks for the feedback on your balloon flowers, I planted some this year & am (patiently) waiting to see how they will do (next growing season) where I planted them. I really like them so far I too am glad when they ‘do what they will’ i.e. move to a more conducive place where they can thrive.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Butterfly bushes continue in full bloom. Sure does help to do regular deadheading.
Here too, I love the butterflies of all kinds coming to rest here before moving on. The ‘Montauk daisies’ also seem to be a preferred (or maybe late season?) feeding & resting place for the butterflies in my ‘neck of the woods’; they are just beginning to bloom sortof of keeping to the mums ‘scheduling’.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:25 PM

Holding off on any trimming of the perennials until spring time.

Leaves are starting to fall so perennial care is shifting to leaf removal now.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:12 PM

11/12/2022:Roses continue

Old 11-17-2022, 09:44 AM

606 posts, read 958,183 times
I planted some frostproof gardenias and a limelight hydrangea end of October.

movin2reston: my roses in 7b (Long Island) are still blooming as well. I just pulled some of my annuals this week. I still have dahlias blooming. This is the first week where we have had sustained cold although not freezing. I cannot recall a season where I had growth like this into Thanksgiving.

I had some gorgeous dragon wing begonias that I am bringing indoors and will try to overwinter.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:50 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,226,237 times
I started seeds for foxglove and daisy in early fall and have so many plants that even if half die in winter there will be many for the garden. Foxglove may be biennial, not sure. Had overnight freeze and nothing died...yet.

Have many iris purchased this summer, potted, waiting to get planted but worries about voles/moles made me buy roll of metal fence to put down under iris to prevent loss to hungry critters. NOW would be the perfect time to get them planted but cleaning house and cooking for family coming for Thanksgiving being done so garden must wait. Hope the weather isn't horrible when project gets going.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:47 PM

My roses had one of the longest growing seasons this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I planted some frostproof gardenias and a limelight hydrangea end of October.

movin2reston: my roses in 7b (Long Island) are still blooming as well. I just pulled some of my annuals this week. I still have dahlias blooming. This is the first week where we have had sustained cold although not freezing. I cannot recall a season where I had growth like this into Thanksgiving.

I had some gorgeous dragon wing begonias that I am bringing indoors and will try to overwinter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden