Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 03:06 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I think you're right. Too bad the OP hasn't come back to show what the fruit look like when ripe. I'll rep him to see if he will come back.
Sorry to keep you interested folks in suspense! During the heat of summer I did not go out to the backyard for a month, and when I got out there to check on the fruits, it has all dropped!!!

I suspect it's an Almond tree from the photo earlier below.

Here's a YouTube video on Almond, notice the similar leaves and fruits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns2KueEW46I

I will be sure the keep an update this summer so it's conclusive once and for all.

Thanks for playing along!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 09:20 AM

UPDATE

It's summer and the mystry tree finally bear fruits! The fruits are big enough now for identification and frankly I STILL don't know what it is!

Maybe you can help to solve this mystery?

A closer up on the mystery fruit

I took a bite out of one of them. It tasted sweet.

So, I don't think it's almond.

Can you identify?

Old 08-23-2022, 10:21 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
UPDATE

It's summer and the mystry tree finally bear fruits! The fruits are big enough now for identification and frankly I STILL don't know what it is!

Maybe you can help to solve this mystery?

A closer up on the mystery fruit

I took a bite out of one of them. It tasted sweet.

So, I don't think it's almond.

Can you identify?
Maybe an Apricot tree?

Old 08-23-2022, 10:44 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Those are peaches.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:25 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
It still looks exactly like apricot but I think with that green sweet flesh it's some kind of hybrid. It looks like it might even be one of the hybrid varieties of Prunus mume also known as Japanese apricot or Japanese plum. Prunus mume looks like apricot in size and shape and has fuzzy skin but it has green or greenish-yellow to pale yellow skin and flesh when it's ripe and the pits are usually shaped more like rounded smooth cherry pits than either rough apricot or plum pits. It is grown in Asia especially for its ornamental flowers but is also used for making fruit relishes or for salting and pickling the fruits or for making very strong, high alcohol content specialty wines, liqueurs and cooking sauces.

After all this time has passed (it's been over 17 months since you first posted about it) I think you should quit wasting time messing around with online photos, guessing games and debates that nobody can agree on. You need to take a sample of it in to be personally, physically examined and identified by an experienced professional who knows exactly what to look for and knows what they're talking about.

Snip off the end of a branch that has several leaves and three or four fruits on it that are not very hard, rather soft-ripened at least enough to have well developed and hardened pits inside them. The branch sample should be a big enough branch to enable the examiner to see what the various shades of colours of the rings of the wood are under the bark. Also show them a photo of the entire tree as it stands from top to bottom and tell them the height of it.

Good luck, I hope you can get it properly identified by hands-on professionals and can let us know what it is.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-23-2022 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-23-2022, 02:00 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
After all this time has passed (it's been over 17 months since you first posted about it) I think you should quit wasting time messing around with online photos, guessing games and debates that nobody can agree on. You need to take a sample of it in to be personally, physically examined and identified by an experienced professional who knows exactly what to look for and knows what they're talking about.
No kidding. Sheesh.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Those are peaches.
You may be right.

I sent the above pictures to a knowledgeable gardening friend, she's suggested this is a variety of peach called "green peach". Generally they're eaten pickled but since they're sweet, I can eat them raw.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:

So, you have no clue. Just throwing out wild a$$ guesses.

Moving on.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:53 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Anyone who has grown peaches, knows this is a peach, it's not even questionable. BTW, peach leaves and apricot leaves look nothing alike.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:39 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
It still looks exactly like apricot but I think with that green sweet flesh it's some kind of hybrid. It looks like it might even be one of the hybrid varieties of Prunus mume also known as Japanese apricot or Japanese plum. Prunus mume looks like apricot in size and shape and has fuzzy skin but it has green or greenish-yellow to pale yellow skin and flesh when it's ripe and the pits are usually shaped more like rounded smooth cherry pits than either rough apricot or plum pits. It is grown in Asia especially for its ornamental flowers but is also used for making fruit relishes or for salting and pickling the fruits or for making very strong, high alcohol content specialty wines, liqueurs and cooking sauces.
Zo for the win! (again)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden