Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 PM

13,003 posts, read 7,382,083 times

Advertisements

You can tell if the tree is more self pollinating by determining if the flower female, stigma (pollen collecter), is lower than the male, anthers (pollen producers). If the stigma is higher, you will need bees or other pollinators. If the stigma is lower than the anthers, you may or may not need bees or a different Apple varieties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 09:54 PM

13,003 posts, read 7,382,083 times
Lucky you, a spur flowering tree off the leaders.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:02 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,858,781 times
So glad to hear and thanks for sharing.

I planted my apple tree from a couple of seeds back in late 2018 and the tree is now over 4 metres tall *knock on wood*. It still hasn't flowered. So if they flower in 5 years, this means that mine would probably flower in 2 more years.

Say, when the flowers finally open up share their pics here.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,346,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I planted some apple seeds back in 2016 and now 5 years later they are young trees that I just noticed today some flower buds appearing. I am so thrilled.

Not sure if they will produce fruit though because I read that you need another variety of apple tree to cross pollinate with. I also do not know what variety they are because apparently apples do not grow true to seed. Hopefully it will be an edible type and not crab apples. I will provide updates.
That’s amazing growth from seed (!) in just 5 years. Who knew? I’ve seen fully laden orange trees grown from seeds a child planted after eating an orange. Sweet, juicy and just delicious (and organic). I’ve always toyed with planting an apple or pear tree but thought it would take too long to bear fruit - and this from your generic garden center sapling.

Let us know if you get fruit this year. In the meantime enjoy the pretty flowers.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:10 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,905,055 times
That is very cool....I always wondered if it would be possible. OP, did you have to start the seed in a pot and then transplant it?

Old 04-16-2021, 07:13 AM

12,191 posts, read 7,150,522 times
Even though I did start the seeds in a pot, you don’t have to. The key is to put vegetative kitchen scraps (banana peels, apple peels and cores, lettuce leaves, celery scraps, etc.) in the hole where you will put in the seed. This seems to give the sprouts and saplings an extra boost of nutrients and they seem to grow bigger and faster than ones without.

Also, I notice that seeds from organic fruits are more likely to grow than seeds from non-organic fruits. Even though non-organic seeds will sprout, they seem to be stunted and never really grow.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,346,468 times
Quote:
Even though I did start the seeds in a pot, you don’t have to. The key is to put vegetative kitchen scraps (banana peels, apple peels and cores, lettuce leaves, celery scraps, etc.) in the hole where you will put in the seed. This seems to give the sprouts and saplings an extra boost of nutrients and they seem to grow bigger and faster than ones without.

Also, I notice that seeds from organic fruits are more likely to grow than seeds from non-organic fruits. Even though non-organic seeds will sprout, they seem to be stunted and never really grow.

Interesting. Where were the seeds from, and what kind of apples?

Old 04-16-2021, 08:26 AM

12,191 posts, read 7,150,522 times
^ It doesn’t matter what type. Just use the seeds from any apple you ate. Just remember to use organic as they seem to grow best.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:07 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,629,435 times
If you dont like whatever apples it produces, you can top graft scions from trees you do like.

Actually many of the antique Russian apples do breed true, not as true as grafting, but mostly true, giving similar apples. I have several ungrafted Antanovka and some I grafted. They sell them as a full size apple root stock, they have very deep root system so work well in far north areas or dry areas. The one that has produced apples, frankly I like them better than grocery store Granny Smith. Similar to Granny Smith, a tree blooms late and fruit matures late. And raccoons dont seem particularly fond of apples on it so I get some. Some variety apples they will strip long before I prefer to pick them. I have another ungrafted Antanovka with lot blooms this spring. It bloomed earlier along with several of the grafted trees. that one that has fruited hasnt bloomed yet. I like it and its fairly productive, thought about grafting from it. Be interesting to see what apples are like on this second ungrafted Antanovka.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:13 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,629,435 times
Quote:
^ It doesn’t matter what type. Just use the seeds from any apple you ate. Just remember to use organic as they seem to grow best.
I suspect it has more to do with the maturity of the apple when picked. Most commercial apples are picked green and ripened artificially. Thats why apples from your own tree will taste far better. They are matured to where you get natural apple flavor, not just "sweet pulp". Even Granny Smith apples left to actually ripen on tree will be slightly sweet and much better flavor.

You also want good rich soil to start the seeds. I have tried and tried to plant commercial pear seed. Nope, nada. They must pick them super green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden