Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 09:48 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times

Advertisements

It was not doing good last fall. I fertilized it in hopes it would come back. It never showed signs of life, then in February we got hit with a freeze. I live in south Texas. A few weeks back a bunch of stuff oozed out which you can see in the photos.

Should I give it time, maybe a couple of months or is it gone? TIA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 10:04 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Yes, it looks deader than a doornail and that oozing indicates it is rotting from the inside out. It also looks like it's been infested with something nasty like fungal rot and insects that bore into rotting and crumbling vegetation. It looks a horrible eyesore. As it is now it's a serious hazard if it's as tall and as close to the house as it looks like it is. You better get it cut down real quick before it topples over on its own and hits the house and causes expensive damage (or injuries!) and a horrible mess to clean up. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:36 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,304 times
Looks dead to me.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:47 AM

Thanks.

It looks like I need to paint my trim as well. I was already planning on it.

As for cutting it down, I have a chain saw. I can tie a rope around it and pull it away from the house as I am cutting.

I also don't want a stump. I will dig around it and cut it again below ground level.

I wonder how what the root looks like? Anybody?

Old 04-20-2021, 11:10 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Thanks.

As for cutting it down, I have a chain saw. I can tie a rope around it and pull it away from the house as I am cutting.

I also don't want a stump. I will dig around it and cut it again below ground level.

Here's some examples of how your trees root system will look like. It looks to be a queen palm. It's going to be a tough pull the way you plan to do it. I'd suggest getting a chain saw and cutting it down in sections then dig out the root ball. If you try to pull out the root ball then dig down deep around the outer perimeter and use a heavy duty rope or chains and a 4 wheel drive vehicle to pull it out. They are not as easy as you might think. You'll probably end up with approximately a 3 to 5 foot hole.
https://www.google.com/search?q=quee...2KjLuWRQuTfPdM

Last edited by wit-nit; 04-20-2021 at 11:19 PM..

Old 04-21-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Here's some examples of how your trees root system will look like. It looks to be a queen palm. It's going to be a tough pull the way you plan to do it. I'd suggest getting a chain saw and cutting it down in sections then dig out the root ball. If you try to pull out the root ball then dig down deep around the outer perimeter and use a heavy duty rope or chains and a 4 wheel drive vehicle to pull it out. They are not as easy as you might think. You'll probably end up with approximately a 3 to 5 foot hole.
https://www.google.com/search?q=quee...2KjLuWRQuTfPdM
The ball is what I was afraid of and you are right, it does look like a queen palm. I don't think the root structures of all palm trees are the same and the google search you did does show other species. Some have the ball, some do not.

I plan to cut it down and leave a 5 or 6 ft stump. At that point I will dig it around the perimeter and investigate a bit. If I see that it's going to be a major pain, I may look at alternate methods like cutting it down to ground level and using an acid or some kind of solution to break it down. If I do dig it out and pull it down with a truck or something, I will have to find a way to fill out the hole. I don't have that much soil laying around.

I found an article that states:

Quote:
The Queen palm's root base is known as a noninvasive type so the tree is popular to plant around swimming pools and walkways. As the tree grows, the roots spread wider but only usually as wide as the fronds, which can spread 12 feet. The roots are from 1 to 4 feet deep. It is recommended that the tree be watered in a wider area as the tree grows to give the roots the moisture they need.
No way of knowing for sure till I dig.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Thanks.

have you ever done this before? i cant tell exactly how big the tree is but the bigger it is, the more difficult it would be to carry out your plan. its not so simple to make a cut and pull a heavy tree with a rope and direct it. cut too little and you arent moving it one bit. cut too much and it falls without you have an opportunity to pull it.

also, have you ever dug around a tree to cut its roots to pull it out? it isnt easy. i dont really know palm trees so maybe it is easier but ive cut all around the sides and much of the bottom and found lots and lots of roots shooting out that needed to be cut. it was a lot of work and it wasnt even a particularly large tree the last time i did it.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
have you ever done this before? i cant tell exactly how big the tree is but the bigger it is, the more difficult it would be to carry out your plan. its not so simple to make a cut and pull a heavy tree with a rope and direct it. cut too little and you arent moving it one bit. cut too much and it falls without you have an opportunity to pull it.

also, have you ever dug around a tree to cut its roots to pull it out? it isnt easy. i dont really know palm trees so maybe it is easier but ive cut all around the sides and much of the bottom and found lots and lots of roots shooting out that needed to be cut. it was a lot of work and it wasnt even a particularly large tree the last time i did it.
Cutting the thing down should be relatively easy. Tie a rope, secure it and then cut it down while someone else pulls on the rope to make sure it falls the right way. It will be secured so even if someone else cannot exert a lot of force, it should not fall on the house. There is a light pole about 40ft away, I plan on attaching a rope to that. I don't think palm trees are nearly as dense or heavy as regular trees. I could be wrong. I would say it's about 20ft tall.

Removing the stump is another matter. I am really not sure about how deep it goes or what it looks like. I am not afraid of hard work, just not as young or strong as I used to be. That will be a matter of wait and see.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Cutting the thing down should be relatively easy. Tie a rope, secure it and then cut it down while someone else pulls on the rope to make sure it falls the right way. It will be secured so even if someone else cannot exert a lot of force, it should not fall on the house. There is a light pole about 40ft away, I plan on attaching a rope to that. I don't think palm trees are nearly as dense or heavy as regular trees. I could be wrong. I would say it's about 20ft tall.

Removing the stump is another matter. I am really not sure about how deep it goes or what it looks like. I am not afraid of hard work, just not as young or strong as I used to be. That will be a matter of wait and see.
ok, i hope everything goes well. i have cut down many trees on my property and unexpected things sometimes happen especially when you havent done that many. i use something to help me pull the tree towards a strong tree that i attach it to:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maasdam-...A-20/202332195

Old 04-21-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ok, i hope everything goes well. i have cut down many trees on my property and unexpected things sometimes happen especially when you havent done that many. i use something to help me pull the tree towards a strong tree that i attach it to:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maasdam-...A-20/202332195
Instead of paying for equipment, I was thinking of borrowing and using a truck to pull it if I need to, the stump that is, although it's kind of far from the street. It would be a long rope for sure.

So, I've been doing some research on how much it weighs. It turns out it's heavier than I thought. It might be like 80 or 100 pounds per foot of trunk. If that is the case, it will be way too heavy to handle. I may have to break down and pay somebody. Still thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden