Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 11:48 PM
JRR JRR started this thread

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times

Advertisements

I'm finally getting started on a flowerbed in the back yard. I wanted to put something in that would do well in this heavy clay soil and that would attract butterflies and hummingbirds and per many online sites, daylilies would seem to fill the bill.

I was wondering if anyone here that actually has daylilies planted sees them as being attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 09:13 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
I inherited a clay yard with established Stella D'Oro daylilies and seasonal hummingbirds from previous owner who set feeders out but the hummers/butterflies are not really into the daylilies from my observation. Hummers/butterflies liked zinnias more, this year planting more zinnias (goldfinches love them too) plus adding scarlet runner bean for hummers.

FYI I bought pineapple sage bush because tag said hummers liked it. It took all summer to grow (flowerless) into a huge bush and by the time it flowered in fall the hummers were all gone. Lesson learned, Charlotte NC, moved it to less prominent place.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I have a lot of the orange daylilies and a lot of hummers here (year round for the Anna's hummers that overwinter here) and the hummers don't show any interest at all in the daylilies. Not one single bit. I occasionally see a butterfly land on the daylilies but they don't stay around for long.

But the hummers and butterflies go crazy swarming from sunrise til sunset about the bright scarlet red 'lucifer' crocosmia. The crocosmia flowers are loaded with so much nectar that it sometimes drips out of the flowers when the flower spikes get heavy. 100% guaranteed to attract lots of hummers and butterflies.

Crocosmia are perennials that will grow in your kind of soil and climate but it will usually take 2 years after you first plant the corms before they grow their first flower spikes. After that they produce flower spikes every year and the bloom period lasts a long time, as the older flowers drop off they are replaced on the end tips with new growth and new flowers. If you want instant results this year you will need to purchase and plant already matured plants.

The crocosmia doesn't ever get any insect pests or diseases that I'm aware of and the plants do reproduce themselves in very slowly spreading clumps from both the dividing corms and the seeds - albeit the plants from the seeds take longer to mature than those from larger corms. They are not invasive like the daylilies are and even the expired flower spikes with seeds on them are attractive.

Pictures of crocosmia: https://www.google.ca/search?q=croco...w=1342&bih=658

pictures of the corms: https://www.google.ca/search?q=croco...h=658&biw=1342

Just as a side note, the hummers and butterflies also go nuts over the scarlet runner beans which produce flowers (and beans) for about 4 months during summer and into autumn. I grow them for decorative purposes only and only use the beans that have matured on the vine to supply more seed beans for planting each following year. But the fresh green bean pods are delicious to eat raw or cooked if picked while the bean pods are still small and tender (say under 6 inches in length).

Old 04-28-2021, 02:18 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I inherited a clay yard with established Stella D'Oro daylilies and seasonal hummingbirds from previous owner who set feeders out but the hummers/butterflies are not really into the daylilies from my observation. Hummers/butterflies liked zinnias more, this year planting more zinnias (goldfinches love them too) plus adding scarlet runner bean for hummers.

FYI I bought pineapple sage bush because tag said hummers liked it. It took all summer to grow (flowerless) into a huge bush and by the time it flowered in fall the hummers were all gone. Lesson learned, Charlotte NC, moved it to less prominent place.
A second vote for zinnias. I have many photos of both butterflies and goldfinches loving the zinnias I planted.
Hummers are more difficult to photograph, but they loved them as well.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:53 PM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
A smallish tree/shrub (and it's invasive) that attracts hummingbirds is Rose of Sharon.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...haron-bush.htm

Old 04-28-2021, 04:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post

...... I have found hummers love scarlet bee balm more than just about anything except fuschias in hanging baskets......
Yes! I forgot to mention how much the hummers like the scarlet bee balm, those tubular flowers on each flower head are full of nectar. Another one they go for is nasturtium nectar reservoirs and they'll also suck up aphids that may be on nasturtium plants.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:28 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
I was just watching hummingbirds in the bird bath. There's a feeder about 8 feet away from the bath. (1 stop shopping!)

Anyway, they bypass the feeders and go to the geranium blooms. Kinda makes me upset. I put all that effort into feeding these birds, and they have the audacity to "bigtime" me and go to the natural feeders.

Harrrummpphhh!

Old 04-28-2021, 08:11 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
I've had daylilies for 14 years. I've seen a few butterflies but never saw a hummingbird. I think if you want hummingbirds you need to put up a hummingbird feeder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm finally getting started on a flowerbed in the back yard. I wanted to put something in that would do well in this heavy clay soil and that would attract butterflies and hummingbirds and per many online sites, daylilies would seem to fill the bill.

I was wondering if anyone here that actually has daylilies planted sees them as being attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:06 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
i put a big bulb garden a couple of years ago with a variety of lilies and it attracts more than a few hummingbirds. We're at the top of a hill and the butterflies tend to get blown around by the wind.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I have two hummingbird feeders as they need liquid along with flowers. Suggest hanging fuchsia, Columbine, Hostas, Geraniums.

They also love to dive through sprinklers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden