Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 10:21 AM

7,450 posts, read 7,060,734 times

Advertisements

OMG Cicada Tacos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
I saw yesterday on my phone about a photographer, Ocana Ware, around Arlington, that had photographed the little darlings in human situations. At the beach, on a firetruck. I couldn't see pics too well, having eye problems. You may want to check it out. Looked kinda cute what I could see.
And for Threerun, also saw something about cicada tacos! Lol not sure where those are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 12:11 PM

Happy Sunday Cicadas!

Post your home and neighbor pics of how it looks in your area.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:46 PM

Old 05-23-2021, 11:22 PM

19,551 posts, read 22,434,789 times
Quote:
I saw yesterday on my phone about a photographer, Ocana Ware, around Arlington, that had photographed the little darlings in human situations. At the beach, on a firetruck. I couldn't see pics too well, having eye problems. You may want to check it out. Looked kinda cute what I could see.
And for Threerun, also saw something about cicada tacos! Lol not sure where those are.
You think I'm kidding?

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm..._cook_the.html

Quote:
Crispy wok tossed cicadas

Source: AndrewZimmern.com

Ingredients:

2 cups cicadas
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 hot dried Asian chile
4 tablespoons minced lemongrass
1 cup chopped scallions
1 clove minced garlic
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Toban Djan (fermented bean paste with chiles)
1 cup minced celery
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon corn starch
3 tablespoons rice wine (or sake)

1. Collect roughly 2 cups of cicadas, keep them in a bucket (with a lid) with an inch of water inside. Wet wings means they won't fly off! Dry on a towel, pluck wings and legs, and set aside.

2. Preheat a large wok over high heat. Add the peanut oil, and swirl.

3. Add the minced ginger, hot dried Asian chile (tsin-tsin work great), minced lemongrass, chopped scallions, minced garlic, sugar, Toban Djan (fermented bean paste with chiles, Lee Kum Kee brand is fine) and toss for 15 seconds. Add the cicadas. If you can't find fermented bean paste, use a few tablepoons of Chinese dried salted black beans instead.

4. Toss for one minute to cook. Add the minced celery, toss. Mix the soy sauce, corn starch and rice wine together in a separate bowl, then add the mixture to the wok. Toss, cooking for another minute or so until sauce tightens.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:27 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,989,982 times
Aww shucks guess I'll have to pass. No cicadas around here. Just a couple of crickets to listen to.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:59 PM

Lucky you.

Birds are having a field day with them.

Quote:
Aww shucks guess I'll have to pass. No cicadas around here. Just a couple of crickets to listen to.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:30 AM

Post your cicada pics.

Who has the most in their area?

Old 05-28-2021, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 2,018 times
Default Cicada Status Request for Memorial Day Weekend Trip

Hi all! I'm planning a trip for this weekend to the DC area just to see the cicadas with my aspiring entomologist 13-year old. We know it'll be rainy, and we're fine with that so long as we get to see lots of cicadas. What's the status of the emergence in the area? Past peak? Still good opportunity to see 'em? Thanks!

Old 05-28-2021, 01:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,480,306 times
They are ALL OVER the place here in KY right now!

My trees are covered in their little shells.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:54 PM

You hit the jackpot for having the right weekend they are all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextDiversionPlease View Post
Hi all! I'm planning a trip for this weekend to the DC area just to see the cicadas with my aspiring entomologist 13-year old. We know it'll be rainy, and we're fine with that so long as we get to see lots of cicadas. What's the status of the emergence in the area? Past peak? Still good opportunity to see 'em? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden