Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

It's up to us to give them what they need or their numbers will continue to decrease drastically.

Ten ways to save monarch butterflies - Houston Chronicle

FREE SEEDS

https://www.livemonarch.com/free-milkweed-seeds.htm

Their migration pattern

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pol...on/index.shtml

Last edited by no kudzu; 01-17-2016 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 07:01 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Monarchs dancing around my tropical milkweed Asclepias curassavica

Here's a monarch cat munching on the same plant.

Here is another one on my swampweed. Asclepias Incarnata

I also have many regular milkweed. Asclepias Tuberosa I am still on the hunt for Common milkweed plants. (very difficult to find) Seeds I can find anywhere, but I always like to start with at least one real plant.

After a few days of munching on the milkweeds. This is what they turn into.
Monarch Chrysalis:

Which turns into this beautiful creature.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:05 AM

Well---that's it. You have inspired me so much with your photos. I have not been doing as much as I should. I will definitely plant more to attract them. Thanks so much!

Old 01-17-2016, 07:15 AM

This will be my third year doing my part. A word of caution to all beginners! Please make sure any milkweeds you do plant are native to your area, as it can have a very bad effect on the overall health of the monarch.
Also anyone growing tropical milkweed in the southern states should cut the flower heads off your plants early to mid fall. it has been found that it disrupts the transients in their quest to finalize their migration. Let me see if I can find a pic of one actually laying an egg on my incarnata.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:43 AM

And the cycle begins!

A few pics of my butterfly bed.

Swampweed:

Tropical milkweed:

I thought I had pics of the tuberosa too, but cannot locate them right now.

Here is what the butterfly bed looked like in the spring of last year.

And again roughly six weeks later.

Don't forget nectar plants also. I read somewhere a monarch can smell the milkweed they need a good thirty miles away! Maybe it was more, can't remember.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 AM

What a beautiful cottage garden! I could look it up but do you know if deer eat these plants? Most of my backyard is fenced but not sure how much room I have. We'll have to see how harsh this winter is and what I lose if anything.
I do have a 150 sq ft patch in the side garden where I grow deer proof wildflower garden and I'm wondering if I can incorporate these plants in there?

Old 01-17-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
What a beautiful cottage garden! I could look it up but do you know if deer eat these plants? Most of my backyard is fenced but not sure how much room I have. We'll have to see how harsh this winter is and what I lose if anything.
I do have a 150 sq ft patch in the side garden where I grow deer proof wildflower garden and I'm wondering if I can incorporate these plants in there?
The deer do not touch any milkweeds, as the milky sap can be poisonous to all but the monarch cats. Be prepared for aphids tho. They won't do any harm, but some will freak when first seeing them. I glove up and just squish-em.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:48 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
The deer do not touch any milkweeds, as the milky sap can be poisonous to all but the monarch cats. Be prepared for aphids tho. They won't do any harm, but some will freak when first seeing them. I glove up and just squish-em.
I have to disagree about them not doing any harm. My milkweeds get infestations so heavy that the plant turns black and it dies. I wish I had some photos of the damage they do. I go out there with a hose and try to rinse them off.

Here are a couple of interesting posts about the milkweed aphids:

https://bybio.wordpress.com/tag/milkweed-aphid/

Old 01-17-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I have to disagree about them not doing any harm. My milkweeds get infestations so heavy that the plant turns black and it dies. I wish I had some photos of the damage they do. I go out there with a hose and try to rinse them off.

Here are a couple of interesting posts about the milkweed aphids:

https://bybio.wordpress.com/tag/milkweed-aphid/
You could very well be right, but I have not found that to be the case where I live, or for that matter everyone else I talk to here in lower NY.
From being on this planet for more than 60+ years, I do understand nothing is etched in stone, so point well taken, and do appreciate the info you posted.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:17 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
i had a few milkweed plants this past summer and was overwhelmed by the number of monarch cats that I found. I had to move a few to an undiscovered milkweed but I'm not sure if they all made it.

It was a pleasant surprise to see a monarch flying around my garden. it must have just come out of it's chrysallis when I spotted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden