Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 07:41 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times

Advertisements

I had never heard of a Sensation brand lawn mower. But the early ones were definitely unique with a wood deck.

gif upload

Here is a little later model:

And the underside:

I think these mowers may been from war years or just after when metal more scarce.

But shows how simple a mower can be. Most handyman types could easily build one. Oh that first mower, not original engine. Looks like 1950s era engine. Original engine would looked more like one on second mower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 08:10 AM

Yea its done as one of those dumb redneck repair kind of jokes. But honestly if you were hard up for lawn mower wheels on a budget, you could cut it much more round and even add bearings. No worse that the all plastic crap manufacturers are using anymore.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:46 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So you think I should just buy a new $200 mower every year or maybe one of those $1500 wonders? Wont even mention one of those $10k crazy town zero mowers, maybe worth it if you could legally drive them on hiway, but until then.... Brush hog is might big to mow the lawn.

Its a plastic world anymore. I swear there are line of mowers on Amazon made in China (poor reviews) that look like they have blow mold plastic wheels, no rubber or imitation rubber in sight. ALL PLASTIC like a kids toy.
I think that if you expect that same $200 to buy you what it did in the 70's, you're nuts, and you should expect cheap plastic. My dad saved the receipt for his lawnboy, that lasted many years, from the 1979, and it was $250 roughly.

Why should I expect a similar quality item for $200 today?

Spend $850 and you can get a mower with four wheels with sealed bearings. https://powerequipment.honda.com/law...dels/hrc216pda

Old 05-18-2021, 12:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think that if you expect that same $200 to buy you what it did in the 70's, you're nuts, and you should expect cheap plastic. My dad saved the receipt for his lawnboy, that lasted many years, from the 1979, and it was $250 roughly.

Spend $850 and you can get a mower with four wheels with sealed bearings. https://powerequipment.honda.com/law...dels/hrc216pda
Good point! I thought I was buying Honda's be push mower, but now I realize I bought the best one that my local dealer had in stock.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:15 AM

Quote:

Did you see that other post, the genuine Honda mower with very similar specs but no wheel bearings for $400. Honda must use very expensive wheel bearings????

It takes 2 wheel bearings per wheel so 8 in total. I can TODAY, RIGHT NOW buy a package of ten NEW sealed wheel bearings for $15 on Ebay. I imagine Honda Corp buying in volume could get a better deal?

By way if I remember correctly after all these decades, yea you are right, a higher end AMERICAN MADE push mower be $150 to $200 in early 70s. But you could get the $49.95 blue light special at your local Kmart that was ALL METAL and the wheels had bearings. Amazing huh?

I also remember most mowers didnt start in one pull back then. But wait, Honda must be channeling the 1970s Americana cause there were reviews for that $800 mower complaining it took several pulls to start each and every time. I know personally Honda engine in good tune will start on one pull, so any dealer letting NEW $800 mower out of his shop that wont start in one or two pulls is a fool. CAuse any dealer with any brains wants that customer to come back and buy more expensive stuff.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Did you see that other post, the genuine Honda mower with very similar specs but no wheel bearings for $400. Honda must use very expensive wheel bearings????

It takes 2 wheel bearings per wheel so 8 in total. I can TODAY, RIGHT NOW buy a package of ten NEW sealed wheel bearings for $15 on Ebay. I imagine Honda Corp buying in volume could get a better deal?

By way if I remember correctly after all these decades, yea you are right, a higher end AMERICAN MADE push mower be $150 to $200 in early 70s. But you could get the $49.95 blue light special at your local Kmart that was ALL METAL and the wheels had bearings. Amazing huh?

I also remember most mowers didnt start in one pull back then. But wait, Honda must be channeling the 1970s Americana cause there were reviews for that $800 mower complaining it took several pulls to start each and every time. I know personally Honda engine in good tune will start on one pull, so any dealer letting NEW $800 mower out of his shop that wont start in one or two pulls is a fool. CAuse any dealer with any brains wants that customer to come back and buy more expensive stuff.
I think you underestimate the incompetence of the average American consumer. I've worked with enough of them that no amount of stupidity would surprise me; from flooding the engine and not having the choke right, not turning the fuel on, not holding the clutch/flywheel bar when pulling...Give me a Honda engine and it will start on the first pull. Give it to my wife, and hold my beer while I film.

Anyhow, as you've said, mowers are simple machines. You could probably have a lot of fun making one if you have an engine you like and can fabricate.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I think you underestimate the incompetence of the average American consumer. I've worked with enough of them that no amount of stupidity would surprise me; from flooding the engine and not having the choke right, not turning the fuel on, not holding the clutch/flywheel bar when pulling...Give me a Honda engine and it will start on the first pull. Give it to my wife, and hold my beer while I film.

Anyhow, as you've said, mowers are simple machines. You could probably have a lot of fun making one if you have an engine you like and can fabricate.
Forgetting to turn on fuel especially if you are not used to having a fuel shut off happens. But those same folk that dont turn the fuel, once they do, dont turn it off cause its an inconvenience. And if they dont turn it off, they dont have to turn it on. Too bad, if people used it, lot less problem with gummed up carbs. Course the Briggs 500e (on Murray) doesnt have one and so far I havent been inspired on where to splice into fuel line to put one cause carb and gas tank are close together.

Oh and if you dont push the bar for the flywheel brake, theoretically you shouldnt be able to pull the cord. Or it will be very difficult. Now putting the Honda engine on my ancient Yazoo, I just have brake disabled and ran the kill wire from magneto coil to external switch. I think American public is trained by now to expect flywheel brake (or Honda with clutch), just some of us older folk that remember mowers without such.

Yea even mowers back in dark ages, could start in couple pulls, but it took very firm pull. The Honda and the Briggs 500e both start with one very easy pull. They have to, cause the recoil start components are all plastic (except for actual spring) and not very robust. If you have to jerk the rope or rinse/repeat many times, they will fail.

And yea I posted that pic of the Sensation mower I found. Yea it doesnt get much simpler than that, plus fact mowers are much better balanced with engine between rear wheels and a belt driven spindle in middle of deck. Thats how my Yazoo is designed only it has 20 inch rear wheels. And it is steel with a steel frame, so overly heavy. The best of the best push mower ever was ancient Kee mower with tube frame and cast aluminum deck. Friend had one of those. Unfortunately it was when Kee was independent regional lawn mower company out of Florida so its rarity to see even derelict one in this area. But I have never used a push mower I like better than it. His had the two front wheels but many of these you see had the single swivel front wheel. The youtube below is of Kee some guy put GX160 Honda engine on. Best of both worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnIS3xE61cE

Old 05-19-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Forgetting to turn on fuel especially if you are not used to having a fuel shut off happens. But those same folk that dont turn the fuel, once they do, dont turn it off cause its an inconvenience. And if they dont turn it off, they dont have to turn it on. Too bad, if people used it, lot less problem with gummed up carbs. Course the Briggs 500e (on Murray) doesnt have one and so far I havent been inspired on where to splice into fuel line to put one cause carb and gas tank are close together.

Oh and if you dont push the bar for the flywheel brake, theoretically you shouldnt be able to pull the cord. Or it will be very difficult. Now putting the Honda engine on my ancient Yazoo, I just have brake disabled and ran the kill wire from magneto coil to external switch. I think American public is trained by now to expect flywheel brake (or Honda with clutch), just some of us older folk that remember mowers without such.

Yea even mowers back in dark ages, could start in couple pulls, but it took very firm pull. The Honda and the Briggs 500e both start with one very easy pull. They have to, cause the recoil start components are all plastic (except for actual spring) and not very robust. If you have to jerk the rope or rinse/repeat many times, they will fail.

And yea I posted that pic of the Sensation mower I found. Yea it doesnt get much simpler than that, plus fact mowers are much better balanced with engine between rear wheels and a belt driven spindle in middle of deck. Thats how my Yazoo is designed only it has 20 inch rear wheels. And it is steel with a steel frame, so overly heavy. The best of the best push mower ever was ancient Kee mower with tube frame and cast aluminum deck. Friend had one of those. Unfortunately it was when Kee was independent regional lawn mower company out of Florida so its rarity to see even derelict one in this area. But I have never used a push mower I like better than it. His had the two front wheels but many of these you see had the single swivel front wheel. The youtube below is of Kee some guy put GX160 Honda engine on. Best of both worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnIS3xE61cE
That looks a little like the old Sarlo I grew up mowing with. It still runs at my Dad's cabin.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:11 PM

Ok, may found answer to my original problem. I was digging in my storage area and found some 14" wheels with plastic center but replaceable bearings. I already own them, cant remember what I bought them for, could be I just got them real cheap and figured they would come in handy sometime. Anyway I measured and no the current axles arent long enough, will have to cut them off and weld on some longer half inch diameter bolts to act as axles. But it will give me a chance to see what difference real bearings make on this mower. I wont mess with front wheels right now. Its the rear ones that have got the golly wobbles. I think the bigger diameter wheels put more stress on hub thus more wear with the no-bearing kind wheels. these are the el cheapo unground bearings found in most mower/wheelbarrow wheels with bearings. But they last for years and are loose enough you can easily get some oil in them or drill little hole in seal if you cant otherwise oil them. Can replace them with higher quality ground bearings if necessary sometime. Though guessing that plastic center be aged out by then. Plastic is the ultimate in guaranteeing that best care wont let you pass it down to your grandkids. It self destructs and isnt easily repairable.

Also give me a chance to raise deck height some. It has the modern limit on height cause mower companies are afraid of law suits. But unless you have very smooth lawn, the highest setting can be too low without scalping grass in spots.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:59 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
I gotta get rid of my Sears Craftsman mower. The wheels are "ok" still. I have plastic grass, now.

OP~ Where you located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden