Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 03:43 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times

Advertisements

All the water for our last house--inside and out--was rain collected from the roof in a 10,000 gallon tank. We got about 150" of rain per year, so the tank overflowed all the time.

We added a smaller tank which fed a siphon system for the greenhouse, and had fish to eat mosquito larva (and fertilize the water), and pond plants to feed the fish.

Now we're in the desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 05:28 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
All the water for our last house--inside and out--was rain collected from the roof in a 10,000 gallon tank. We got about 150" of rain per year, so the tank overflowed all the time.

We added a smaller tank which fed a siphon system for the greenhouse, and had fish to eat mosquito larva (and fertilize the water), and pond plants to feed the fish.

Now we're in the desert.
Well, that is super cool. Way beyond my comprehension.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:54 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
https://www.lakesuperiorstreams.org/...inbarrels.html

https://www.epa.gov/soakuptherain/so...n-rain-barrels

https://bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/...ions-answered/

Rain barrels, along with green roofs and landscaping swales/catchments, are one way building owners are meeting the new stormwater management regulations from the EPA.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:27 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
I also think every little bit helps and as the climate changes, the cost for water will only increase. I knew there were third world countries that oulawed rain collection so they could charge outrageous amounts for water, but this is not a political thread.

I got my rain barrel from the local watershed alliance at a presentation in the library. I had just moved here and planned to get a compost bin and rain barrel, so I was delighted - especially after pricing rain barrels. They also gave us a kit to connect a second barrel (which could be anything, even a large plastic trash can). I've been using it ever since I got it and last winter I collected water all the way through until spring by filling every container I emptied in the house and storing them in the shed. So I got more than a barrel's worth, for sure.

Also a story, and an answer to those who feel barrel water is unpure: about 60 years ago, some of my mother's in-laws bought a house in Las Vegas. The cost of water was prohibitive even then and no one had a garden - except her in-laws. What they did was wash dishes in pans in the sink and used both the soaking and rinsing water for the plants. Every night, they would haul the two pans outside and dump them - dish detergent, food bits, grease, you name it - on the garden beds and they were the literal pride of the neighborhood.

Some gray (used) water is usable for some things, and I think often about how to collect some of it here.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:36 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,386 times
I'm in Passaic County and they are selling rain barrels. I reserved two as they are half the price I'm seeing everywhere. It's not going to save much on the water bill, but I hate waste. I am concerned about chemicals and such from the roof, so I may just use it on the flower garden.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:27 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
When you figure the savings from rain barrels, you have to consider more than just the price of water per unit. In municipalities with public sewer systems, water customers not only pay for the water out of the spigots but also for that water to be treated at the local sewer treatment plant, even if it never makes it to the sewer. Sometimes sewer rates are higher than water rates.

This for me^.

I haven't done it yet, but I have a very long 1 level single family home, so quite a bit of roof. Also have a 22' X 34' detached garage, so even more roof.

My sewer bill is extrapolated from my water usage, so I hate the thought of watering my extensive raised gardens (and very tiny lawn) with treated city water, and also pay for that again in sewer fees. I want to install rain barrels!

I have seven downspout drops I want to capture. My wife is pretty adamant I do not do the entire large catchment system tanks (because of curb appeal), so I am limited to 2 barrels per downspout drop. None are close enough to each other to combine, except for the two on the garage perhaps.

I would only be catching water after snowfall melts, and in May-Sep when there is monsoon rains, so my RoI may not be great, but it irks me to pay for treated water and sewer use on gardens.

I was thinking along the lines of a submersible pump I could move to each barrel set. to get my water out of the barrels. Has anybody done that here?

Old 05-15-2021, 05:24 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
All the water for our last house--inside and out--was rain collected from the roof in a 10,000 gallon tank.

Now THATS a tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Standing fresh water is a breeding ground for mosquitos. Why would anybody want to promote those?

Pools should be banned. There's ways to prevent mosquitoes from breeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Rain water is still contaminated by the air pollution and the roof/gutters, so it's no longer much better than a good municipal system..

Ever notice the exploding plants after a rain? They look so healthy. Whatever is in the rain, let it rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I was thinking along the lines of a submersible pump I could move to each barrel set. to get my water out of the barrels. Has anybody done that here?

That's what I was doing. Easy to do and works well. Only issue was I to the plug and unplug the pump. You can always hook up a switch for an outlet or even a Lutron Caseta switch to control the on/off of the pump with a phone App.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We have two @35 gallons, but two is better than nothing. I will post pictures after they are set up. These kits were about $35. each, including the barrel, which I think is good. They will be located where a soaker hose or watering can can just disperse the water when it’s available. In future, we can just buy parts if we want others.

What do you water with those two 35 gallons? The size of my garden beds I went through 87 gallons in 1-2 days depending how hot it was and how deep I had to water. I should consider it again and just use it to water my lawn instead of my veggies.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:20 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
....and they told us at the workshop that 1/4 of one of those mosquito dunks rings will be sufficient for a few months.
They are very effective and lasting!

The benefit of rain water is that it’s natural, nothing added like what you’d get from city or a municipal water source so your plants and shrubs will love it and thrive ❗️

Old 05-15-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I'm in Passaic County and they are selling rain barrels. I reserved two as they are half the price I'm seeing everywhere. It's not going to save much on the water bill, but I hate waste. I am concerned about chemicals and such from the roof, so I may just use it on the flower garden.
Don’t forget that the same water coming off your roof is going on your plants anyway. The rain barrel will just hold some of it to use during a dry spell.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:43 AM

Cambium, we just have small garden patches, and planters with flowers and a few herbs. Our rain barrels will just be a tool in the toolbox. I’m sure we will still need to supplement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden