Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 02:07 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

We just got back from a rain barrel making workshop. It was a class explaining how the pieces parts go together, and where to drill the holes, etc. It was surprising to hear how much yard runoff pollutes the rivers and lakes. Also surprising is that some states ban rain barrels.

The kit included a large plastic drum, donated by a soda processor, and a kit including drill bits, a hose, screen, spigot, rubber phalanges, etc. We can make either an open rain barrel, or a closed one which connects to the downspout.

It was a fun day, and it will take a few days to get them painted and set up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 04:02 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We just got back from a rain barrel making workshop. It was a class explaining how the pieces parts go together, and where to drill the holes, etc. It was surprising to hear how much yard runoff pollutes the rivers and lakes. Also surprising is that some states ban rain barrels.

The kit included a large plastic drum, donated by a soda processor, and a kit including drill bits, a hose, screen, spigot, rubber phalanges, etc. We can make either an open rain barrel, or a closed one which connects to the downspout.

It was a fun day, and it will take a few days to get them painted and set up.
Very cool! We need pics!

I was collected rain into a 55 gallon can and a 32 gallon and attached a hose to a pump inside them. Only to realize it was enough to water my garden just once or twice. So I stopped. I was hoping I would be able to use it because rain water is magical.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Very cool! We need pics!

I was collected rain into a 55 gallon can and a 32 gallon and attached a hose to a pump inside them. Only to realize it was enough to water my garden just once or twice. So I stopped. I was hoping I would be able to use it because rain water is magical.
We have two @35 gallons, but two is better than nothing. I will post pictures after they are set up. These kits were about $35. each, including the barrel, which I think is good. They will be located where a soaker hose or watering can can just disperse the water when it’s available. In future, we can just buy parts if we want others.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:15 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Great idea, and even besides the runoff problems, many places out West are starting to face acute water 'issues' anyway, where 'conserving' is no longer optional. Like here in fast-growing AZ, fed mainly by the Colorado River and a 'yuge' underground aquifer.... with both already dwindling at an alarming rate!
The West is trading water for cash. The water is running out
When it comes to global warming's one-two punch of inundation and drought, the presence of too much water has had the most impact on U.S. agriculture this year, with farmers across the Midwest swamped by flooding throughout the Mississippi Basin.
But in the Southwest, it's the increasing lack of water that's threatening the agricultural economy, as well as the welfare of 40 million Americans and part of the food supply for the entire nation.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Rain water is still contaminated by the air pollution and the roof/gutters, so it's no longer much better than a good municipal system.

With a typical water rate of $5.50/CCF (748 gallons) it's .007/gallon, so with a 55 gallon rain barrel you only saved about 38 cents from your water bill. The problem is that when it rains you don't need the water, and for the whole summer you would need a whole yard full of rain barrels to maintain a lawn and garden. It will be more effective if you are on a well, because you ware saving the electricity to pump it out, and reducing the demand on the water table. Even in areas like the high hills in the East Bay (California) where the Water District has elevation charges, and water can cost as much as $9.51/CCF, your 55 gallon barrel would only save 69 cents. Keep in mind that watering a lawn takes .62 gallons per square foot, so a small lawn 10'x20' takes 124 gallons, and in many climates that would be twice a week.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:07 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I hope that kit didn't have rubber phalanges (finger bones) but rubber flanges.

The small amount of water in a typical rain barrel is insufficient for more than a few potted plants. As pointed out, the first flush of rainwater has to be diverted, due to pollution, the stuff on roofs that keeps mold from growing, pollen and leaves, etc.

Left in a barrel, the water can go green or leach plastic from the container. I've got a couple, but am not thrilled with them.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:40 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
We have one, to water our few potted plants. Every bit helps, I figure.

Our mistake was filling it from a certain downspout, which during an average summer rainfall here means we have too much water and lots of it spills out. And the space it's in is too small to add another barrel. We get most of our rain in the form of huge thunderstorm dumps, not drizzle.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:51 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Here is my setup and it was simple after buying just one kit from Fiskars snd now I can get my own barrels and connect a bunch of them in tandem.

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I hope that kit didn't have rubber phalanges (finger bones) but rubber flanges.

The small amount of water in a typical rain barrel is insufficient for more than a few potted plants. As pointed out, the first flush of rainwater has to be diverted, due to pollution, the stuff on roofs that keeps mold from growing, pollen and leaves, etc.

Left in a barrel, the water can go green or leach plastic from the container. I've got a couple, but am not thrilled with them.
Good catch, Harry. LOL

We do not treat our roof with any chemicals so I’m not concerned about any pollutants.

We were told that the lawn chemicals that travel in the runoff from typical suburban yards is responsible for a huge percentage of pollution in our water supply.

My water bill is no big deal, and we have abundant water here, but “waste not, want not” is a tried and true philosophy. My trash magically disappears once a week, whether I recycle or not, but I think it would be wrong not to.

If everyone does a little, it makes a difference.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:52 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
15 or so years ago I made 2 out of whiskey barrels. Rain barrels weren't much of thing yet, so whiskey/wine barrels weren't expensive. I ordered two from a place in Kentucky (or Tennessee- can't remember), bought some old style brass spigots, some threaded pipe, and a gutter diverter.

They worked pretty slick. The wooden barrels, when filled, expand to seal the gaps around the spigot pipe (as long as your hole is pretty tight). No sealants needed.

The best thing? There was about a half gallon of whiskey 'scrum' leftover in the barrels. It was GOOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden