U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2021, 09:38 AM
 
Location: South Louisiana
657 posts, read 537,553 times
Reputation: 1568

Advertisements

What can I use (home made) to keep squirrels & cats from digging in my shrubs ground cover. I am forever pulling out new growth oak trees. Cats scatter my bark chips to no end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2021, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
76,654 posts, read 61,658,031 times
Reputation: 14088
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
What can I use (home made) to keep squirrels & cats from digging in my shrubs ground cover. I am forever pulling out new growth oak trees. Cats scatter my bark chips to no end.
Oh Gees.. I saw this title and had nightmare flashbacks. Nothing will work unless you cage everything you want protected or use "force" on the squirrels.


Squirrels are like weeds, if you aren't pro active about it, they will just become a reoccurring nuisance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2021, 09:57 AM
 
20,653 posts, read 61,806,583 times
Reputation: 39450
Coyote
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2021, 10:56 AM
 
Location: B.C., Canada
11,784 posts, read 9,989,482 times
Reputation: 26270
Two things I found work well and are worth the little bit of extra effort and I get the supplies dirt cheap at the dollar store.

1 - I sprinkle lots of fine ground black pepper powder on the soil all around and in between all the plants in the garden. It doesn't hurt the plants or their roots or the animals either but nothing alive likes getting black pepper powder up the nose, in the eyes, in the mouth or on the feet. Although it always has to be re-applied after rains or heavy watering it's very quick and easy to do and it definitely works as a powerfully convincing deterrent to cats, dogs, squirrels, mice, rabbits, birds, slugs & snails and other small critters (and ants that operate aphid farms on plants too).

2 - The other thing I've found really effective and very quick and easy to do is to use lots of wooden BBQ skewers shoved point down half way down into all the bare spots between plants and around individual plants. It looks a bit like a weird crowded forest of skewers for awhile but they act as a serious obstruction to animals and birds that don't dare to risk poking and hurting themselves on them. Once they see the skewers they won't even approach, and once the plants have gotten bigger and are more spread out taking up empty space then the squirrels and cats will lose interest in digging there anyway and then I can remove the BBQ skewers for the rest of the growing season. I still put pepper down to be on the safe side.

.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2021, 11:04 AM
 
Location: planet earth
8,626 posts, read 4,085,132 times
Reputation: 19434
My neighbor this morning told me that coffee grounds and white pepper is the trick for keeping the critters from digging up plants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2021, 11:21 AM
 
Location: B.C., Canada
11,784 posts, read 9,989,482 times
Reputation: 26270
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
My neighbor this morning told me that coffee grounds and white pepper is the trick for keeping the critters from digging up plants.
I've never tried coffee grounds because I'm concerned about its excess acidity effecting the ph of the soil or the plants but I can 100% guarantee that the pepper is effective and doesn't harm the soil or the plants roots.

.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2021, 11:36 AM
 
1,720 posts, read 991,448 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Two things I found work well and are worth the little bit of extra effort and I get the supplies dirt cheap at the dollar store.

1 - I sprinkle lots of fine ground black pepper powder on the soil all around and in between all the plants in the garden. It doesn't hurt the plants or their roots or the animals either but nothing alive likes getting black pepper powder up the nose, in the eyes, in the mouth or on the feet. Although it always has to be re-applied after rains or heavy watering it's very quick and easy to do and it definitely works as a powerfully convincing deterrent to cats, dogs, squirrels, mice, rabbits, birds, slugs & snails and other small critters (and ants that operate aphid farms on plants too).

2 - The other thing I've found really effective and very quick and easy to do is to use lots of wooden BBQ skewers shoved point down half way down into all the bare spots between plants and around individual plants. It looks a bit like a weird crowded forest of skewers for awhile but they act as a serious obstruction to animals and birds that don't dare to risk poking and hurting themselves on them. Once they see the skewers they won't even approach, and once the plants have gotten bigger and are more spread out taking up empty space then the squirrels and cats will lose interest in digging there anyway and then I can remove the BBQ skewers for the rest of the growing season. I still put pepper down to be on the safe side.

.
Great suggestions. I used dried red chili pepper seeds instead (ya, I’m sadistic) and it worked well, but was too pricey to replenish after our frequent rains.

The bamboo trick sounds both intriguing and economical, and should work well for wet, humid climates.

For potted plants, I’ve also found spreading a layer of pistachio shells to be effective, although it is prone to developing mildew over time, depending on climate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2021, 01:23 PM
 
Location: on the wind
14,900 posts, read 8,523,900 times
Reputation: 48641
Years ago a co-worker at a nature reserve shared suggestions she swore by to keep cats from digging in her flowerbeds. I don't have personal experience with them. I trap chronic cat trespassers (my property is posted as such) and take them to the shelter. Squirrels...that's futile.

Put clear glass jugs of water near shrubs you don't want disturbed. It reflects ambient light quite well. At night when the cats' eyes are dilated the glare would spook them.

Clean out all the family hairbrushes. Scatter the hair around the shrubs. Supposedly cats hate the smell. Squirrels may too.

Go to a zoo and ask for a sack of lion poop. They've got lots. Scatter that around your plants. That's a cat most pint sized diggers won't want to deal with! OK, not exactly a home remedy but the novelty would probably be a good conversation starter!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-23-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2021, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
76,654 posts, read 61,658,031 times
Reputation: 14088
You ever wonder how farms do it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2021, 06:25 PM
 
16,141 posts, read 22,490,616 times
Reputation: 26703
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
What can I use (home made) to keep squirrels & cats from digging in my shrubs ground cover. I am forever pulling out new growth oak trees. Cats scatter my bark chips to no end.
Blame the birds for spreading seeds too. Not much that you can do. Perhaps moth balls...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top