Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 01:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

I have a very large white pine tree near my house that is 40-45 years old, and for some reason it keeps dropping needles during late May- early July time period as well a October (when it should typically occur). What could be causing this to occur? It is a well drained area that is fairly level and landscaped. The top 1/2 of the tree seems to still be fine, and all the needles at the ends of the tree are still green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 01:30 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Are they getting enough water at that time? Sometimes my WP drops at odd times but it is generally due to lack water at that time of year.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Are they getting enough water at that time? Sometimes my WP drops at odd times but it is generally due to lack water at that time of year.
It gets plenty of water most of the year, generally over 50'' of precipitation a year, and irrigation during dry periods.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:20 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Here is a link that states it is a 'natural process' after the White Pines age: https://forestry.usu.edu/trees-citie...losing-needles. As long as you're losing needles from inside the tree and not the new growth towards the end of the branches.

I had a line of large older White Pines close to my house and lining my driveway. The needles became a real problem for cars parked in my driveway as well as clogging my gutters. I removed all nine large pines and my life is so much easier now.

I was also afraid that they could threaten my house as they continued to age. They are beautiful in the forest, but dangerous and dirty when too close to our houses and driveway.

Old 06-19-2021, 04:35 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
I have one by my deck. I chop the top off so it stays under 20 feet. Grateful for the shade it provides so I can enjoy sitting on my deck. Who needs an umbrella? :-) Yes, mine drops needles too this time of year. This year not as much as last year. I think the less water the more needle dropping

Old 06-20-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a link that states it is a 'natural process' after the White Pines age: https://forestry.usu.edu/trees-citie...losing-needles. As long as you're losing needles from inside the tree and not the new growth towards the end of the branches.

I had a line of large older White Pines close to my house and lining my driveway. The needles became a real problem for cars parked in my driveway as well as clogging my gutters. I removed all nine large pines and my life is so much easier now.

I was also afraid that they could threaten my house as they continued to age. They are beautiful in the forest, but dangerous and dirty when too close to our houses and driveway.
The original owner planted them and spent an absolute fortune on landscaping back in the late 1970's. I have one White Pine that is 5 ft from the foundation of the house that is over 90 ft tall. All the yellow needles have dropped for now, but doesn't seem to lose as much in the Fall compared to the other nearby trees.

Old 06-25-2021, 04:46 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The original owner planted them and spent an absolute fortune on landscaping back in the late 1970's. I have one White Pine that is 5 ft from the foundation of the house that is over 90 ft tall. All the yellow needles have dropped for now, but doesn't seem to lose as much in the Fall compared to the other nearby trees.
Sorry, I missed this post.

Having a WP that large and that close to my house would worry me. One bad ice storm or storm with downdrafts could crack off large limbs. They can do a lot of damage to a house, vehicles, or powerlines. Then you have the other problem of the needles in the rain gutter. Even with gutter shields, those needles can still clog the gutter. They also can fall on your vehicles and sometimes leave behind pine sap.

But that size tree is expensive to take down. Large trees are best planted where they have room to grow without presenting problems as they reach full height. Of course, many homeowners and even some landscapers plant the wrong trees in the wrong places. We like to say to ourselves that we will prune them and never let them reach full size, but that never happens.

I presume you have no intention of removing that tree.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Sorry, I missed this post.

Having a WP that large and that close to my house would worry me. One bad ice storm or storm with downdrafts could crack off large limbs. They can do a lot of damage to a house, vehicles, or powerlines. Then you have the other problem of the needles in the rain gutter. Even with gutter shields, those needles can still clog the gutter. They also can fall on your vehicles and sometimes leave behind pine sap.

But that size tree is expensive to take down. Large trees are best planted where they have room to grow without presenting problems as they reach full height. Of course, many homeowners and even some landscapers plant the wrong trees in the wrong places. We like to say to ourselves that we will prune them and never let them reach full size, but that never happens.

I presume you have no intention of removing that tree.
It shades my house and has been trimmed back over time, so there aren't very many larger branches that overhang the roof. I did get an estimate to trim it last year and they wanted $550, so I just did some pruning myself over the past winter and that helped a bit.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:48 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Had a white pine that a cement patio was poured near. Beautiful tree and great shade at a summer place. (Not a house but a park model mobile home). They drop needles all summer, it's just how they are. It had to be removed because the roots were heaving the cement up after 15 years. Nice not to have to clean up the needles all the time but still miss the tree.

I would be concerned about the roots too close to a homes foundation they can be very aggressive. The cement slab was about 5 feet away from the tree. It raised a section about 4" before tree was removed. Now I have to deal with replacing slab or see if it can be lowered somehow.... it's a tripping hazard.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:23 PM

It finished shedding the needles finally, hopefully won't have a massive amount come down in the Fall as I don't really see how that's possible- considering all the other pine trees nearby have lost a small fraction in the same time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden