U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 09:23 AM

5,164 posts, read 6,445,576 times

Advertisements

I did buy this groundskeeper rake. I thought it worked well. I just hate raking, always get blisters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVHWlJLo5x0
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 02:17 PM

11,249 posts, read 7,313,687 times
I've messed with the different weed tools, but I keep coming back to a well sharpened hoe.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:32 AM

4,287 posts, read 3,101,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Any more reports on Grandpa weeder? It looks awesome. I might get one.
It works well for a weed that sticks out by itself. If you watch the Grandpa weeder video, it’s one weed in a sea of lawn they are using it on, that the tip off. I have too many weeds growing close together and it’s hard to find the center of an individual weed for the Grandpa Weeder to work easily. For now it’s more efficient and less work to bend down and pull multiple weeds by hand.

I agree a sharp hoe is more useful than a narrowly focused specialty tool like the Grandpa tool. I fell for the dream of easy weeding during our wet season of exploding weeds.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-15-2021 at 05:55 AM..

Old 08-15-2021, 12:49 PM

17,932 posts, read 22,325,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
It works well for a weed that sticks out by itself. If you watch the Grandpa weeder video, it’s one weed in a sea of lawn they are using it on, that the tip off. I have too many weeds growing close together and it’s hard to find the center of an individual weed for the Grandpa Weeder to work easily. For now it’s more efficient and less work to bend down and pull multiple weeds by hand.

I agree a sharp hoe is more useful than a narrowly focused specialty tool like the Grandpa tool. I fell for the dream of easy weeding during our wet season of exploding weeds.
Horses for courses.

Weeding tools like Grandpa's weeder is ideal for larger speciments like dandelions, plantains, and thistles, especially when growing in a lawn or mulch where you don't want to disturb the area surrounding the weed. It pulls them out with minimal disturbance to surrounding grass or mulch and with less physical effort, important if you have a quarter acre of turf infested with dandelions. A hoe will just just result in dozens of divots in grass, and essentially sow ungerminated weed seeds in mulch. In thise situations, before aquiring a Grandpa's weeder, I used to use a hori hori knife to get deep enough to remove as much tap root as pissible on such weeds, another shortcoming of the typical hoe which simply slices off the root right below the surface.

Hoes are best for clearing widespread shallow-rooted weeds, especially carpets of young weeds growing out of dirt where you don't have to worry about cutting up turf or disturbing mulch such as in unmulched beds, between planting rows, under shrubs/trees, dirt driveways, and the like. They can handle individual large specimens as well, but with effort, not to mention kicking dirt and dust up, often requiring some raking to smooth the area, and often leave significan tap root, enough for the plant to regenerate..

If you have clusters of small weeds such as clover, creeping charlie, vilolets, etc. growing out of a lawn or in mulch, herbicide remedies work best, as they leave soil structure intact so that the surrounding turf grass can quickly recolonize the weeds' former space.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet for weed control. Personally as a professional gardener and landscape maintainer as well as an avid home gardener, I like having a quiver of tools so I can make things look fantastic with the least effort. I hate to make work for myself.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:48 PM

6,944 posts, read 5,480,516 times
Agree, like the idea of the weeder if you have an occasional large weed, but if you have an area with a lot of weeds varying in size, personally, I would break out the Ortho WeedClear Lawn Weed Killer Ready to Spray.

Quote:

Old 08-23-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Agree, like the idea of the weeder if you have an occasional large weed, but if you have an area with a lot of weeds varying in size, personally, I would break out the Ortho WeedClear Lawn Weed Killer Ready to Spray.
That’s not even a consideration for me, I rarely use any commercial chemicals on our yard/garden areas. I have a yard filled with butterflies, bees and other pollinators because of that practice.

We had invasive Brazilian pepper trees mechanically cleared on 1/4 acre three years ago, which was great. What wasn’t so great were all the invasive grasses and weeds that found the disturbed soil. If I had sprayed weed killer I would have killed many native plants along with the weeds. I’ll keep weeding by hand and with tools that don’t make it more.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-23-2021 at 11:12 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 10:51 AM

I use the combination of organic and chemicals depending on how the situation arises and what the need pertains to.

Right now my entire garden is swarming with colorful butterflies and buzzing bees.

Quote:
That’s not even a consideration for me, I rarely use any chemicals on our yard/garden areas. I have a yard filled with butterflies, bees and other pollinators because of that practice.

We had invasive Brazilian pepper trees mechanically cleared on 1/4 acre three years ago, which was great. What wasn’t so great were all the invasive grasses and weeds that found the disturbed soil. If I had sprayed weed killer I would have killed many native plants along with the weeds. I’ll keep weeding by hand and with tools that don’t make it more.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Horses for courses.

Weeding tools like Grandpa's weeder is ideal for larger speciments like dandelions, plantains, and thistles, especially when growing in a lawn or mulch where you don't want to disturb the area surrounding the weed. It pulls them out with minimal disturbance to surrounding grass or mulch and with less physical effort, important if you have a quarter acre of turf infested with dandelions. A hoe will just just result in dozens of divots in grass, and essentially sow ungerminated weed seeds in mulch. In thise situations, before aquiring a Grandpa's weeder, I used to use a hori hori knife to get deep enough to remove as much tap root as pissible on such weeds, another shortcoming of the typical hoe which simply slices off the root right below the surface.

Hoes are best for clearing widespread shallow-rooted weeds, especially carpets of young weeds growing out of dirt where you don't have to worry about cutting up turf or disturbing mulch such as in unmulched beds, between planting rows, under shrubs/trees, dirt driveways, and the like. They can handle individual large specimens as well, but with effort, not to mention kicking dirt and dust up, often requiring some raking to smooth the area, and often leave significan tap root, enough for the plant to regenerate..

If you have clusters of small weeds such as clover, creeping charlie, vilolets, etc. growing out of a lawn or in mulch, herbicide remedies work best, as they leave soil structure intact so that the surrounding turf grass can quickly recolonize the weeds' former space.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet for weed control. Personally as a professional gardener and landscape maintainer as well as an avid home gardener, I like having a quiver of tools so I can make things look fantastic with the least effort. I hate to make work for myself.
I felt like the Grandpa Weeder was more work than hand weeding. If the weed dropped off, I had to bend and pick it up anyway, so there wasn’t a whole lot of time and effort saved for me, I have no interest in maintaining a perfect grass lawn, so disturbing turf isn’t a problem for me. Pulling a weed out of a mulch bed usually doesn’t disturb anything since they pull out so easily.

I’m restoring areas of the yard with many natives plants, which aren’t as well known and may look more like weeds to some. I can visually pick and choose the weeds I want to remove, unlike a herbicide.

I was looking for an easy way out for weeding. The only thing easy was parting with the money for a mew tool to buy a dream.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-23-2021 at 11:17 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
I use the combination of organic and chemicals depending on how the situation arises and what the need pertains to.

Right now my entire garden is swarming with colorful butterflies and buzzing bees.
I’m glad, you obviously know how and when to use chemicals. They are the very last line of defense for me, but I will use them only after all other methods have failed. I’m not a purist and will use what works.

I find with insects and weeds, continually removing them by hand will decimate them eventually. It’s all a matter of who gives up first… them or me.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:56 AM

Gotta love my EGO.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden