Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 06:42 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times

Advertisements

So what are your must have garden tools?

Here is my collection, excluding spreader, gloves, long handled pruners, and long handled tools, but these are the ones I find using the most.

If I had to pick one it would be my pruners or trimmers which I use regularly for dead heading.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 06:22 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
The Root Slayer long handled trowel is my latest favorite tool. It sure saves on some bending and stooping.
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/root-s...s/8597385.html

Also, the usual suspects, like waterproof gloves, pruners, and my new plant markers passion, which are used corks on a skewer. You write on the cork with a sharpie and have a nice recycled marker that blends in with the plants.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,574 posts, read 81,167,557 times
This is what I have found to be the most helpful lately, pruning/trimming is a lot easier even down low, and keeps me off of the ladder most of the time.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:19 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Oh, I almost forgot, I got DH a Fiscars stand up weeder, and it works great.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:29 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
I have a pickaxe that's been with me since 1968 or so. A couple of tiling spades of almost the same age. A rake of about the same age. Hoe ditto (anyone under 50 even know what one of these is?)

My "favorites" tend to be old, manual, well used.

One that simply can't be bought anymore is a trash bag holder - it looks like a light-duty two wheeler, with a frame up top to hold the mouth of the bag open with a bungee cord.

Maybe it's available online, but all the hardware and big box store clerks I've asked about it look at me like I've got two heads.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:47 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Whether in the ground or in containers this gem is so handy I love and have gifted it many times. I can break apart hardened dirt (not all) and sets up for a perfect drop in for annuals. One year, I planted 3 flats of 48 plants of impatients in the front yard. I started by turning the soil over and adding some nutrients. Then I crawled with this baby in hand and simply put it in rocked it back and forth and rinse and repeat. I was done in no time and my neighbor was still digging them in.

https://www.gardenwedgie.com

It is a great gift for anyone with arthritis

Old 07-02-2021, 05:07 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
My fravoite garden tools grew up and have their own gardens now.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:17 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
Have seen that one before, but have not tried it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The Root Slayer long handled trowel is my latest favorite tool. It sure saves on some bending and stooping.
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/root-s...s/8597385.html

Also, the usual suspects, like waterproof gloves, pruners, and my new plant markers passion, which are used corks on a skewer. You write on the cork with a sharpie and have a nice recycled marker that blends in with the plants.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:37 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I have a pickaxe that's been with me since 1968 or so. A couple of tiling spades of almost the same age. A rake of about the same age. Hoe ditto (anyone under 50 even know what one of these is?)

My "favorites" tend to be old, manual, well used.

One that simply can't be bought anymore is a trash bag holder - it looks like a light-duty two wheeler, with a frame up top to hold the mouth of the bag open with a bungee cord.

Maybe it's available online, but all the hardware and big box store clerks I've asked about it look at me like I've got two heads.
Can pretty much guarantee anything a modern hardware/boxstore carries is not something you will own even two or three year later. Definitely not something to pass down to next generation when you are too old to garden.

Best tools (hand tools) are antiques from a time people actually expected them to function well and last a lifetime. Part of problem most people dont know how to properly use hand tools, and they sure dont know how to keep them sharp. HINT: many tools dont come properly sharpened from factory. Box stores are just trying to move product, not sell lifetime tool. They will sell what the customer demands. If customer is clueless and doesnt expect much, then its whatever is most profitable.

I just learned this year the wonders of a sharp hoe. I am sure my parents probably knew as they had big garden, but I just assumed modern hoes are poorly made. Most dont come sharpened or even show evidence of a factory bevel on the blade. If they do, its usually on wrong side of blade. Works best on the outside edge of hoe (side facing away from you) and it helps a lot if you sharpen them on three sides. Apparently nobody does that. Also you only want a hoe 90degree angle to handle if its a heavy digging hoe. A light weight cultivating hoe, you want more like 60-70 degrees though depends on your personal height, but you want a slicing scraping action when you pull it, not a chopping action for best effect with cultivating hoe. This means a narrower angle than the common 90 degree unless you are the jolly green giant. https://www.easydigging.com/garden-h...hoe-angle.html

Old 07-04-2021, 03:41 PM

19,756 posts, read 22,661,296 times
These are my go to tools in the veggie patch.

Far left- the little hoe-dag. A tough carbon steel and pinned little monster. It's for when your on your knees and that sumabeechiscomingouttathere tool.

Middle is a stirrup hoe. Very sharp edges used to weed between rows. I hone the edges every year with a stone.

Far right is a little triangular hoe. I use this between plants. Again the edges are honed sharp.

My wife has her own favs- a set of Snow & Neely hand tools and a custom hori-hori knife are her favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden