Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 06:45 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,721,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Interesting. I didn’t read a lot of them, but I agree there are myths.

From my Master Gardener course, one of the myths I can think of is that organic compounds are better for your plants than chemicals. For example, plants could not care less if they are getting their nitrogen from grass clippings or fertilizer, or their calcium from egg shells or the bag from the feed store. In general, natural sources break down too slowly to do much good.
That viewpoint is so short-sighted. Plants may not care where their nitrogen comes from, but the local waterways certainly will. Runoff of excess nitrogen from fertilizers is a major problem in SWFL resulting in algae over-growth in our waterways. Our county in SWFL has a ban on fertilizers with nitrogen during our rainy season from June to October. Slower breakdown and release is exactly what is needed here and everywhere else. That doesn’t come from commercial fertilizers but from organic sources. It’s unfortunate that a Master Gardener program is not more aware of the broader environmental implications.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-30-2021 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 11:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,216,001 times
Master Gardener programs are curriculum based and promote a useful, but narrow, set of gardening principles based on selected research dedicated to a certain style of residential gardening.

I don't want to come on here and denigrate the Master Gardener program. One of my mentors was a Master Gardener and I have considered the program useful, and still do in context, but it is not the end-all and be-all of horticulture by a long shot.

If you are interested in organic techniques, regenerative techniques, permaculture, native and beneficial plants, and other gardening/farming philosophies along that vein, the orthodoxy of the Master gardener program is probably not geared towards your aims.

On the other hand, if you are interested in ornamentals, conventional lawncare, hedgecare, conventional (read: synthetic) fertilization and pest control, invasives, and so on, then little in the Master Gardener program will turn you off.

Now I should say that I am interested to some degree in all of the above, (within reason as I believe hobbyists should not be playing around with invasives, for example), but every gardener should be reflective on the techniques and products they use in gardening rather than simply subscribe to the orthodoxy promoted by various programs and gurus, whether that be a proponent of either quick release chemical fertilizers, or of slow release green manure users, as individual circumstances and new data in best practices change and improve season after season.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:53 AM

50,075 posts, read 63,445,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
That viewpoint is so short-sighted. Plants may not care where their nitrogen comes from, but the local waterways certainly will. Runoff of excess nitrogen from fertilizers is a major problem in SWFL resulting in algae over-growth in our waterways. Our county in SWFL has a ban on fertilizers with nitrogen during our rainy season from June to October. Slower breakdown and release is exactly what is needed here and everywhere else. That doesn’t come from commercial fertilizers but from organic sources. It’s unfortunate that a Master Gardener program is not more aware of the broader environmental implications.
I must disagree. Products that are used according to directions, are safe for the environment. A chemical compound is a chemical compound, regardless of its source. Of course, improper use that causes runoff is a bad thing. Ask a person who lives near a pig farm whether the totally natural pig manure in the water supply is bad or not.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:38 PM

50,075 posts, read 63,445,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
...and I should have added that I don’t always agree with the gospel according to the extension service, either. Sometimes they are much too ridged in their ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden