Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 07:28 PM

142 posts, read 200,034 times

Advertisements

Has anybody here got any Vitex trees (Chaste tree) in their yards? I love them and I have 2 nice big ones. This year I made some more with cuttings and also last year's seeds. I am now planning to plant them.

My question is could I plant them now with success or should I wait until cooler weather? It is still in the 90's and humid here in S.C. so I am not sure if they would catch on now or if I should wait. I don't want to wait until the dormant season when the leaves die.

Attached Thumbnails
Vitex tree planting-vitex.jpg   Vitex tree planting-vitex2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 06:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
How big are they now, and where are you keeping them (indoors, greenhouse, or somewhere else?), and at what temperatures have you been keeping them and how many sets of new branches and leaves do they have since you started them? How much exposure to direct sunlight and high humidity have they already been getting?

Instead of posting pictures of the adult trees I think it would be better if you posted pictures of the new plants that you're actually asking about so their present conditions and readiness for planting in the ground outdoors can be evaluated.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:32 PM

You are right about the pictures. Those are their mamas and papas! They are various sizes. They are outside on my screened porch where the temps are low 90's and humidity is about the same. They are set in good and are very healthy and growing like crazy. I will take photos tomorrow and post them. Thanks

Old 08-13-2021, 07:48 PM

Here are the photos I took today. Don't you think they will do better if I wait until it cools off?
Attached Thumbnails
Vitex tree planting-vitex2.jpg   Vitex tree planting-vitex1.jpg  

Old 08-13-2021, 09:43 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslane View Post
Here are the photos I took today. Don't you think they will do better if I wait until it cools off?
Looking good. No, I think it's time to move them now. I think the littlest cutting should be put into a good sized pot of its own to grow a bit bigger and get a better established root system before you put that one in the ground. So maybe another 3 to 4 weeks for that one before it goes directly into the ground. The other 3 plants look like they're ready to transplant to their permanent spots in the ground. Disturb the root balls as little as possible while moving them into their holes and back filling with earth.

If the plants have already been dealing with temperatures in the 90's and they all look as good as they do in those little non-insulating pots they're in now then they're better off going into the ground now. The ground will insulate their roots from ambient heat from direct sunlight far, far better than those little pots can do for them. Potted soil always gets much hotter and drier than ground soil.

Once they're put in the ground be prepared to provide them with a bit of extra water and some temporary shade from direct sun in the afternoons if it looks like they're getting wilty or shocky after transplant.

Can you make up some chicken-wire cages to wrap around each one of them for added protection from curious animals while they are adjusting to being transplanted? If you can, and if they end up needing temporary shade you can drape a shade cloth over part of each cage for protection from extreme direct sunlight.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:39 PM

Thank you. I already have my cages made. Just waiting for a good time to get out and dig.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:58 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
OMG - I call them the Monk Tree. I love it. I have huge one in my backyard. I didn't plant it - was already here. Love the beautiful blooms. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:12 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
How did you do your cuttings? Is it necessary to use a rooting hormone?

I have a small chaste tree growing in a pot on my patio and am not sure how it will do over the winter here in Zone 6. I do plan to put it in a corner with other pots that I want to shelter over the winter.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:23 PM

I used a rooting hormone and used the newest cuttings I could find on the tree. Last year I tried it too late in the season and the cuttings were too old and didn't take root. The newest tenderest ones took root right away.

Then in the fall, I found lots of dry seeds and saved them. In the spring, I put them in a mix of seed starter potting soil and sand and they came up, too. Out of all I have I should get a few to grow big and survive the winter.

Good luck with yours.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:59 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Thanks pslane. Too late to try this year but something to plan for next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden