Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 11:26 AM

925 posts, read 4,708,426 times

Advertisements

I have a pond in my backyard and recently, I found that the pipe was leaking underground. This is hard to fix so I came up with a solution to buy a water spillway and put in on the top of the waterfall. It does not look good as you can see in the image below. I am looking for ideas to hide the black water spillway box. Is there any less expensive look alike fake rock sold that also acts like a spillway?

Here is my current situation:
https://imgur.com/a/92uP2yJ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 12:09 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
I have a pond in my backyard and recently, I found that the pipe was leaking underground. This is hard to fix so I came up with a solution to buy a water spillway and put in on the top of the waterfall. It does not look good as you can see in the image below. I am looking for ideas to hide the black water spillway box. Is there any less expensive look alike fake rock sold that also acts like a spillway?

Here is my current situation:
https://imgur.com/a/92uP2yJ
I don't quite understand how installing the water spillway at the top of the waterfall fixes the pipe leaking underground. BTW, I have a similar setup for my waterfall and the spillway is almost invisible as the lip is pretty much set at the level of the topmost rocks. The spillway is also the lip of the water basin at the top. What function does the spillway serve in your setup except to increase the flow of water at the top?

Old 09-14-2021, 12:14 PM

So spillway is connected to a different pump with different hose. The hose is lying behind the pond and it is not underground. The underground pipe which I am not connected to is the one leaking so I am not even using that connection. The spillway is used to create a waterfall. Do you think I should remove the spillway and put the 1 inch pipe and let it spill on the rocks to create a waterfall effect.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Yes, you don't need the spillway. Just make sure that you place rocks in positions to hide the hose and that the water is going straight into the waterfall, and not spilling off the side onto the ground. That would have the same effect as a leak.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I just ordered a new pond liner for mine. Several times my game camera has caught a raccoon near the pond, and I have a framed chicken wire barrier to keep him from eating my fish, but apparently the have sharp claws, and he tried reaching in to grab a fish and put holes in the liner. I have to top it up every two days. All 10 fish are still there, though he broke the wood down the center of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on how to cover water spillway on a pond waterfall-pond.jpg  

Old 09-14-2021, 08:04 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, you don't need the spillway. Just make sure that you place rocks in positions to hide the hose and that the water is going straight into the waterfall, and not spilling off the side onto the ground. That would have the same effect as a leak.
Thanks! That is definitely the hard part. I tried today to create that effect but could not accomplish it. I guess I will try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden