Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 03:21 PM

5,838 posts, read 5,239,497 times

Advertisements

We have been trying to create a no mow lawn in back-and a patch in front. Last year we planted a bunch of wildflowers but we believe the birds ate the seeds so instead of wildflowers, we ended up with a bunch of weeds. We also places a bunch of slate blocks around to use as stepping stones so it makes it hard to get at the weeds with the lawn mower-gotta use the weed whacker.

Next year, we are hoping to find a landscaper that will basically dig up the yard and plant phlox, white clover, or other low growing native flowers for the pollinators. The problem with that idea is finding someone to do it. We have had a lot of trouble finding help-not just landscapers but we have been looking for a mason and have called several people but they never return calls. I'm afraid that we are going to have the same problem with this project.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 07:47 PM

11,375 posts, read 24,361,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We have been trying to create a no mow lawn in back-and a patch in front. Last year we planted a bunch of wildflowers but we believe the birds ate the seeds so instead of wildflowers, we ended up with a bunch of weeds. We also places a bunch of slate blocks around to use as stepping stones so it makes it hard to get at the weeds with the lawn mower-gotta use the weed whacker.

Next year, we are hoping to find a landscaper that will basically dig up the yard and plant phlox, white clover, or other low growing native flowers for the pollinators. The problem with that idea is finding someone to do it. We have had a lot of trouble finding help-not just landscapers but we have been looking for a mason and have called several people but they never return calls. I'm afraid that we are going to have the same problem with this project.

Cat
You need to hire a good garden designer or landscape architect who has experience with this kind of landscape. You could probably do most of the work yourself with the right guidance. It’s trickier than you think.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,833,909 times
We have a pretty unique garden, heart of the city adjacent downtown yet also terraced on a downslope to a semi-wild canyon and an enormous urban park. The lot is a compact 5500sf with equally urban lots on all sides but we are in the middle of the block where the finger canyon from the park edges right up to our lot so we have a remarkable feeling of being in the edge of the woods with barely a slice of any building visible.

So we’ve designed our garden that way, more deliberate and planned up front -at the city- and increasingly natural and wild as you move through the paths and stairs to the bottom. The lower terrace, a mere few feet from the upper terrace, feels as a different world - totally wild, encompassed in tall dense trees and always a little messy in need of sweeping and hard-core trimming while up a few steps there are garden sculptures, water features and outdoor rooms for sitting and eating.

Neighboring properties literally have a quarter million dollar canyon swimming pool/music studio going in - the entire lot has been sterilized of any living thing set for the implementation of “The Plan” and 1000s cubic yards of concrete - bocce ball courts, outdoor kitchens, extensive terraces bordering artificial grass play courts. You would never guess a few feet away is our completely wild feeling delightfully messy and magical space.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by T. Damon; 10-20-2021 at 10:34 PM..

Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 PM

37,074 posts, read 42,043,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
We have a pretty unique garden, heart of the city adjacent downtown yet also terraced on a downslope to a semi-wild canyon and an enormous urban park. The lot is a compact 5500sf with equally urban lots on all sides but we are in the middle of the block where the finger canyon from the park edges right up to our lot so we have a remarkable feeling of being in the edge of the woods with barely a slice of any building visible.

So we’ve designed our garden that way, more deliberate and planned up front -at the city- and increasingly natural and wild as you move through the paths and stairs to the bottom. The lower terrace, a mere few feet from the upper terrace, feels as a different world - totally wild, encompassed in tall dense trees and always a little messy in need of sweeping and hard-core trimming while up a few steps there are garden sculptures, water features and outdoor rooms for sitting and eating.

Neighboring properties literally have a quarter million dollar canyon swimming pool/music studio going in - the entire lot has been sterilized of any living thing set for the implementation of “The Plan” and 1000s cubic yards of concrete - bocce ball courts, outdoor kitchens, extensive terraces bordering artificial grass play courts. You would never guess a few feet away is our completely wild feeling delightfully messy and magical space.
That sounds beautiful! And what a great asset to have in your own backyard!

Old 10-21-2021, 06:47 PM

24,120 posts, read 10,449,310 times
We downsized to a towel sized back yard in a neighborhood and watched Mallards hatch, btw these rascals come back and back and back, box turtles go by Mr B, toads are all named Rebecca, feathered friends go through 30 pounds/week.
Yes we let seed whatever we can but we have to supplement considerably.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:19 PM

19,577 posts, read 9,117,631 times
One of the reasons we moved where we did was to escape the tyranny of conducting our lives and planning our homes to please others. On our rural road with fifteen homes on 1+ acre lots in a heavily forested area, only one out of six of the year-round residences have lawns, while four out of the nine summer residences/rentals have lawns. (So ten "natural" lots vs. five lawn lots.)

Our home was completed last summer, and we left as many of the trees standing as possible and did almost no landscaping then. However, we just had a concrete patio and driveway installed, with some grading done after that was finished and our neighbors were actually expressed relief when we said we were going to just plant wildflowers and NOT put in any kind of lawn.

I am a firm believer in trying to have one's yard blend in with the existing environment, and here that means natural environment.

P.S. And it is such a treat to see deer come within ten feet of our windows!

Old 10-22-2021, 03:53 PM

37,477 posts, read 45,733,123 times
Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]
That's nice, and to be sure, it is far from "natural" LOL.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:59 AM

3,042 posts, read 2,347,672 times
I have a native garden in part of my yard--it's a small strip along the street. I would not do my entire yard that way because 1) it would be a lot of work and 2) it wouldn't fit in with the rest of my neighborhood. Yes--a native landscape suitable for a city or suburb can be quite a bit of work to get established.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:29 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,833,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That's nice, and to be sure, it is far from "natural" LOL.
Well, yeah, technically the “natural” landscape here would be coastal sage scrub- dry, low lying clusters of plants trying to survive in the rocky clay soil and chaparral-like conditions near the coast and in the natural arroyos that exist here. That being said the 125+ years of horticulture in the park that has transformed the native flora by way of plantings and irrigation has settled into its own “natural” state and it is to this that I take advantage of my garden’s proximity to allow it to mesh with it both visually and with my own planting choices.

Which could describe most formerly native landscape that humans have put their mark on over the centuries.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:41 PM

37,477 posts, read 45,733,123 times
Quote:
Well, yeah, technically the “natural” landscape here would be coastal sage scrub- dry, low lying clusters of plants trying to survive in the rocky clay soil and chaparral-like conditions near the coast and in the natural arroyos that exist here. That being said the 125+ years of horticulture in the park that has transformed the native flora by way of plantings and irrigation has settled into its own “natural” state and it is to this that I take advantage of my garden’s proximity to allow it to mesh with it both visually and with my own planting choices.

Which could describe most formerly native landscape that humans have put their mark on over the centuries.
My comment was simply in reference to the thread topic. I think your yard looks lovely.
My 20+ years of work in my own yard has certainly evolved into a somewhat natural-looking state as well. Much of the landscaping I have in my yard requires little or no maintenance. It works as is, as well as looking attractive. And that is the best type of yard, for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden