Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 01:31 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times

Advertisements

We do but have rural acreage set back from the dead end road. Our decision to allow the grass and weeds to do their own thing was made due to the endless chore of mowing the lawn and weed whacking the edging. Our southern, western and eastern boundaries are woods and what grassy areas were mowed at one time have been planted with trees. The northern edge has an ugly fence, courtesy of a former neighbor, so we have trees planted along that edge also except for wooded areas.

Our neighbors, rather than embracing a rural lifestyle, are forever mowing, edge, sawing to beat back the wild. We embrace it. I can be out on our deck looking at the woods, enjoying the quiet and the birds when, suddenly, the annoying sounds of machines fill the air. One has even put lights up and down his driveway, on his mailbox and has highlighted his trees and shrubs. I enjoy the dark at night and the owls’ calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 01:47 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m a master gardener also, and we were taught that a weed is only a plant that is growing where you don’t want it to. One person’s weed is another person’s garden plant.
Another "definition" of weed I read somewhere is "a plant whose usefulness/desirability is still awaiting discovery".

Old 09-19-2021, 01:57 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We do but have rural acreage set back from the dead end road. Our decision to allow the grass and weeds to do their own thing was made due to the endless chore of mowing the lawn and weed whacking the edging. Our southern, western and eastern boundaries are woods and what grassy areas were mowed at one time have been planted with trees. The northern edge has an ugly fence, courtesy of a former neighbor, so we have trees planted along that edge also except for wooded areas.

Our neighbors, rather than embracing a rural lifestyle, are forever mowing, edge, sawing to beat back the wild. We embrace it. I can be out on our deck looking at the woods, enjoying the quiet and the birds when, suddenly, the annoying sounds of machines fill the air. One has even put lights up and down his driveway, on his mailbox and has highlighted his trees and shrubs. I enjoy the dark at night and the owls’ calls.
We get it! They recently replaced the dead bulb in the street lamp across from our home. We hate it. We used to enjoy sitting on the porch looking at the stars at night. Can't anymore, at least not without squinting.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:05 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I lived next door to a neighbor I called the "grass Nazi". Don't get me wrong, he was a polite, pleasant person in himself, but he spent an incredible amount of time and $ micromanaging the green monoculture in front of his house. If he wasn't mowing it he was rolling, feeding, watering, edging, weeding, spraying, aerating, re-seeding, or just standing on the porch gazing at it. Every spring, he was out there bashing up the frozen snow before a single blade even thought of greening up. If they hosted a BBQ he'd spend the following days carefully repairing any damage the guests might have caused to his precious lawn. They had two kids he was always barking at to stay off of it for one reason or other. He owned every motorized garden tool on the market and used most of them every week starting extra early on weekend mornings. Guess it could have been worse. He could have tuned up a family fleet of Harleys in the garage.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-19-2021 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-19-2021, 02:35 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I marvel at the diversity on the house foot print. Clover, weeds, flowers, lichen, grasses, and more. Have bought some buffalo grass seed to put down on the bare spots but not yet. For me, the ranch is a nature preserve and it is do not interfere as much as possible.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:00 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
I minimally touch my yard and use no chemicals not fertilizer.

I pull up plants I do not want, keep it mowed. Most of it is landscaping.

I despite the corporate office park, manicure look.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
What a relief most of these replies are. Thank you all for posting! I love reading the yard stories and getting ideas from those of you more experienced with yard ownership!

Old 09-19-2021, 04:16 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
People in high desert areas have learned not to grow lawns -- or should learn it if they haven't. First it is a waste of water and a waste of time but a grass lawn traps dust and sand and will bury itself over time. A previous owner kept horses and installed an expensive irrigation system to support grass for the horses. Today there is no sign of the grass. The natural elements killed it off -- the sun at 5500 ft. is super intense. Humidity is often single digits. There is a windy season that will add dust and sand and suck out moisture. Desert or native plants and a few groundcovers can survive. Creeping Germander is a flowering groundcover that likes sand and gravel soil and rocks (but not fond of shade). It seems to take desert conditions with just a little watering occasionally.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:19 PM

1,400 posts, read 763,910 times
Dear OP, I do think it's sad beyond words that some people have gotten cancer trying to remove dandelions, which are pretty and make a good salad.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:37 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
Dear OP, I do think it's sad beyond words that some people have gotten cancer trying to remove dandelions, which are pretty and make a good salad.
This is a ridiculous statement. Chemicals are perfectly safe, when used as directed. Are they over used, or used incorrectly? Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden