Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2021, 10:07 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,747 times

Advertisements

I want to grow some blueberries and serviceberries (and possibly others in this area), but alas, my native soil is slightly alkaline. Anyone have experience with this? Feasible? I'm considering replacing a large chunk with some acid soil, mulching liberally with green pine needles, and spraying with acidic fertilizer as needed. Is any combination of these enough, or am I just fighting too much of an uphill battle? Are there any magical companion plants that can help maintain acidity? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just had another idea. Keeping massive amounts of pine needles with water in a barrel, hmmm...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 10,139 times
I grow azaleas, camellias and hydrangeas in my alkaline soil (soil pH 7.6) by amending the soil in spring (I use garden sulfur with all or aluminum sulfate for hydrangeas only) and optionally one more time in late summer or early fall. The soil pH is reduced somewhat but, if you want to grow blueberries, you really need soil that has a naturally favorable pH of around 4.5 to 5.0. Perhaps it may be easier to grow them in pots with acidic potting soil.

Pine needles only acidify a tiny layer of top soil so they will not help acidify the soil deep where the blueberry roots are.

Mature blueberries need a pot at least 24 inches deep and about 24-30 inches wide. When planting smaller blueberry shrubs, start with a smaller pot and re-pot as it grows. Re-pot in late summer to early fall so the roots have enough time to grow before winter sets in where you live in Ohio.

Old 10-08-2021, 04:45 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Planting BLUEBERRY Bushes | How To Lower Soil pH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDieChbjlaU

Old 10-08-2021, 04:49 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
You could get a soil analysis from your county extension service. It will tell you how to make corrections in your soil to achieve the results you want.

Really, I’d just plant what you want and fertilize regularly with something like Root-tone for acid loving plants.

Also, choose plants for your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden