Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 12:18 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Make sure you consider how large those tree(s) could eventually get and what structures could be affected by their canopy, the branches or roots! See it all too often. People plant a conveniently sized sapling only to end up cursing, butchering, or removing the same tree years down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 03:18 PM

2,708 posts, read 2,208,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Make sure you consider how large those tree(s) could eventually get and what structures could be affected by their canopy, the branches or roots! See it all too often. People plant a conveniently sized sapling only to end up cursing, butchering, or removing the same tree years down the road.
I am doing just that. I want to get away from other big trees. I also have to stay away from any possible power lines unless I want the power company to cut it down. I also have to stay clear of my septic lines.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:24 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Maples are easy to grow. A native tree might be even easier than others. Contrary to common belief, tree roots don’t go down as much as they go out on the surface. You could buy a potted maple and save you4self the trouble of hauling a big root ball.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Maples are easy to grow. A native tree might be even easier than others. Contrary to common belief, tree roots don’t go down as much as they go out on the surface. You could buy a potted maple and save you4self the trouble of hauling a big root ball.
I checked into that and you would not believe the cost they wanted.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:34 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
I witnessed a mature 20 foot Pear tree being transferred from a backyard to a front yard and be successful. It was pretty crazy. One thing that made it successful was a soaker hose and a sprinkler system constantly keeping it from drying out and not cutting main roots

Old 08-09-2022, 06:33 AM

I am back checking into doing this after seeing what my neighbor did with a dogwood tree. He made a comment that he was rescuing it by taking it from an empty lot. The dogwood was about 10' tall.

After looking more I have found three possible choices to transplant this November. The smaller one is about 5' tall (1/2" diameter), the middle one is about 9' tall (3/4" diameter) and the big one is about 15' tall (1" diameter). The two taller ones look better than the smaller one. All of these are being smothered by bigger trees. The tallest one is leaning more trying to get more sun. I am assuming this would straighten up if I transplant it.

Which one would have the best chance of success?

Old 08-09-2022, 10:09 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Sight unseen, I'd probably select the middle one because of it's diameter and potential for manageability, but it would be easier to make suggestions if people could see photographs of all three trees to see what their actual state of health and condition is. Their present size isn't what's most important, it's the current health of each one is what to base a decision on.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:54 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Are you planting it in the same place? If the original tree was a risk to your power lines, why do we think another one be a good idea? It will also grow too big and need to be taken out.

A smaller ornamental tree would perhaps be a better idea? And be a prettier tree, already potted and more likely to survive.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:55 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
No, you would have to correct any lean. I have maples here and the ones near water do fine and the ones that need to be kept watered die. So consider a tree bag to keep it constantly watered until it establishes itself - and even after that, depending on the heat in your area.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Are you planting it in the same place? If the original tree was a risk to your power lines, why do we think another one be a good idea? It will also grow too big and need to be taken out.

A smaller ornamental tree would perhaps be a better idea? And be a prettier tree, already potted and more likely to survive.
The original tree is on a wooded lot across the street from me. Besides not being able to grow there they would be mowed over if someone builds a house there. I want to replace one of the three huge trees that the power company cut down. I would plant it away from the power lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden