Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 04:17 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Pyro!
Actually, pretty typical for a rural neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 04:39 PM

4,172 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Leaves are actually chock full of minerals, and good for the soil. Aside from composting which is excellent, it was suggested in one gardening article to leave the leaves where they are, and run the lawn mower over them to chop them into little bits. That way they can enrich the soil. Free fertilizer. They also make great mulch around your plants.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:06 PM

640 posts, read 449,230 times
Depends on the leaves. Where we are the oak treas are abundant, and they make for a lousy compost. Left to decay, they increase acidity of the soil, so now we need lots of lime to have anything grow.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:59 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Depends on the leaves. Where we are the oak treas are abundant, and they make for a lousy compost. Left to decay, they increase acidity of the soil, so now we need lots of lime to have anything grow.
Oak leaves aren't too acid once they fall, but they should be shredded, per the Laid-back Gardener:

"That’s why it’s always best to shred oak leaves before using them. Run them under the lawn mower, vacuum them up with a leaf blower (it will chop up the leaves as it picks them up), pour them into a garbage can and shred them with a string trimmer, or whatever. The method is up to you, but when you do break oak leaves into small fragments, tannins will be largely rinsed out the first time it rains, reducing the so-called toxicity to almost nothing, and bacteria will start to decompose the leaves in earnest."

https://laidbackgardener.blog/2017/0...leaf-toxicity/

Old 11-16-2021, 03:41 AM

12 posts, read 6,623 times
While you certainly can burn leaves safely, it's important to understand what's okay to burn and what's not.

Old 11-16-2021, 05:40 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I used to compost a large amount of my leaves, but I also burned a bunch from the trees nearer my house in the ditch. It was a great way to clean out the weeds in the ditch, plus it made a lovely, 50 ft. long line of fire. If they hadn't been so close to my garage I would also have burned off my row of zebra plants every fall instead of having my garden helpers chainsaw them to a manageable level - that would have been a TRULY impressive wall of flames!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Pyro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Actually, pretty typical for a rural neighborhood.
Uhm no...I'm not referring to the FACT of burning stuff, but the JOY of it. Or perhaps all rural people lllluuuuuvvv burning.

It's true as a kid I did enjoy having the big responsibility for setting the "burning barrel" on fire every week - ya know, getting out that box of big wooden matches. Yeh, a real fetish thing.

Old 11-16-2021, 06:38 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,206,964 times
we lived in a home for a while that had 72 tall trees on a small-ish property. They all shed leaves. There was no burning. The city or county or whatever during leaf season had regular leaf pickup just like it had regular garbage pickup. We'd rake the leaves (or use a leaf blower) into piles on the edge of the street and the truck would pick them up.

Old 11-16-2021, 06:48 AM

942 posts, read 390,983 times
I used to burn debris, mostly brush and tree limbs in my backyard in an open fire pit. Had a neighbor across the street that would call the fire dept on me. SO...... as they were walking around the corner to inspect the fire, I'd be walking out my back door with a package of hotdogs. They just laughed and said " OH, well your just cooking and to keep an eye on the flames.

The police and the fire dept were well aware of this neighbor as he was a chronic complainer and time waster to them. They knew him by name.

OH.......Yes, it was illegal to burn leaves and debris.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:33 AM

20,100 posts, read 9,006,146 times
call your local government to find out.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:42 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Burning may require a permit from the state forestry department for each occasion. Check that out probably on your county website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden