Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 05:51 PM

215 posts, read 189,912 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Ohio recently from California.

I am trying to line up someone to dethatch and aerate my lawn come spring but I can't find anyone that dethatches. In fact, when I ask about it with some companies, communication stops from them.

Is dethatching not needed/done here?

I do have some thatch and when walking barefoot on the lawn it feels like walking on marbles. I'd like to start fresh on maintaining the lawn.

I don't want to rent a dethatcher as I don't want to rake up and dispose of the debris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 03:39 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Personally I would save both of those for the fall so the lawn can recover as both stress the lawn. You should easily be able to find someone who can rent both machines and do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post

I am trying to line up someone to dethatch and aerate my lawn come spring but I can't find anyone that dethatches. In fact, when I ask about it with some companies, communication stops from them.

I do have some thatch and when walking barefoot on the lawn it feels like walking on marbles. I'd like to start fresh on maintaining the lawn.

I don't want to rent a dethatcher as I don't want to rake up and dispose of the debris.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:03 AM

4,506 posts, read 2,651,635 times
The whole dethatching thing is unnecessary BS. Mulch the clippings back into the yard, stop poisoning your soil, and nature will take care of the rest.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:31 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:

We lived in Ohio for 40 years and never dethatched the lawn. What kind of grass did you have in CA and what kind do you have now?

If you are using a push mower, wear golf spikes.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:35 AM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
A little thatch is good and can be beneficial. However, if too much thatch (an inch or more) has accumulated, it won't allow air, water and nutrients to penetrate to the roots, weakens the grass, and contribute to compacted soil. If the soil is already compacted, it contributes to poor conditions. The lawn should be cut to half its normal height, and the soil moist. A lawn needn't be thatched every year, nor aerated every year.

Aerating should be done during peak growing season when the lawn is strongest to it can recover more easily. It should be done the same time of year as dethatching.

One point a lot of homeowners don't realize is that they over-cut their lawns. During peak growing season (early Spring and early Fall) the lawn can be cut to 2.5 inches. However, during hot Summer weather, it should be kept no shorter than 3 inches. It grows more slowly. Also, most grasses will go dormant in exceedingly hot weather and turn pale or wheat colored. That doesn't mean it's dead.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:35 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The whole dethatching thing is unnecessary BS. Mulch the clippings back into the yard, stop poisoning your soil, and nature will take care of the rest.
Not (necessarily) true. I have always mulched my clippings....yet...I have thatch. My theory is that the soil is so poor in nutrients that it can't break down all that mulch quickly enough so it adds up on the surface.

I do have a fair amount of clay and that doesn't help either. Just last year I've started using a "liquid aerator" monthly and it does seem to be helping rainwater soak in more quickly and I've had less cracking and bare spots in the driest part of the summer. This next year will give me a better idea of how effective the aerator is.

I've usually also done (physical) core aeration - and that is definitely a fall activity. It does make a mess of the lawn and you don't want to spend your usually wet spring with the mud - save that for fall.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:06 AM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Not (necessarily) true. I have always mulched my clippings....yet...I have thatch. My theory is that the soil is so poor in nutrients that it can't break down all that mulch quickly enough so it adds up on the surface.

I do have a fair amount of clay and that doesn't help either. Just last year I've started using a "liquid aerator" monthly and it does seem to be helping rainwater soak in more quickly and I've had less cracking and bare spots in the driest part of the summer. This next year will give me a better idea of how effective the aerator is.

I've usually also done (physical) core aeration - and that is definitely a fall activity. It does make a mess of the lawn and you don't want to spend your usually wet spring with the mud - save that for fall.
We have clay soil as well, and it has been amended. But we had to do the deep core aeration, and it leaves you lawn looking like hell until it recovers - but well worth it in the long-run! The lawn will recover quickly.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:53 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:

Aeration is what you want to ask them for. Ask them to aerate your lawn. The process will accomplish the same thing and do a little dethatching in the process.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:41 AM

215 posts, read 189,912 times
I do have a lot of clay in the soil.
Any ideas on why the soil is so rough? Lawn looks fine but walking on it barefoot feels like walking on marbles.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:08 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We lived in Ohio for 40 years and never dethatched the lawn. What kind of grass did you have in CA and what kind do you have now?

If you are using a push mower, wear golf spikes.
Wearing golf spikes is an attempt to aerate the soil - but only COMPACTS it. You need to do CORE aeration. Seriously, a few 1/2" deep punctures every 3 feet from you wearing while mowing won't do a danged thing - you're lucky because it would only do damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden