Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 06:57 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

I believe many old timers burned cactus to get rid of it.

You might read this.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/eradic...tus-97758.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 07:38 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A few years ago a neighbor gave me a 'leaf' from what I'll generically call a prickly pear cactus, it was a little more successful growing with no attention than I'd planned on. I'd like to get rid of it, the spines aren't bad but it has these tiny little 'hairs' that get under your skin are VERY annoying. I've had little success with today's weedkillers, nowhere near as effective as the old school ones were. Is there some chemical(s) I can spray on them that will hopefully make them shrivel up and be easier to handle?
A pitchfork to the base will let you rip it out of the ground.

As for disposal, chop it up with the blade of a shovel and bury the chunks. No need for the soil to lose everything the cactus took out of it.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:34 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Go to the grocery store and get a heavy duty produce carton that they throw away. Cut down the cactus in pieces. Use a b-b-que tong to pick up the pieces and put them in the cardboard box. Seal the box with tape and let the trash people take it away. Once cut down it's easy the dig up the shallow root system.
FYI: Thorns will come through plastic bags and bite you.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:26 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Go to the grocery store and get a heavy duty produce carton that they throw away. Cut down the cactus in pieces. Use a b-b-que tong to pick up the pieces and put them in the cardboard box. Seal the box with tape and let the trash people take it away. Once cut down it's easy the dig up the shallow root system.
FYI: Thorns will come through plastic bags and bite you.

Good idea! Technically, my service says no garden waste but a box noe and then works and it being biodegradable I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 02-13-2022, 12:46 PM

61,686 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
I'm in hurricane country and we do get some substantial rain some years so I don't know if that would be effective?
They can add to the security of your property if planted around the fence
They would give intruders a nasty surprise.
I have some of those on my property:
https://gardenerspath.com/plants/fol...ensive-plants/

Did you try to eat the fruits? Pretty tasty!!
Prickly pear cactus — or also known as nopal, opuntia and other names — is promoted for treating diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity and hangovers. It's also touted for its antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
When ripe, they are syrupy sweet.
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...kly-pears.html

Last edited by elnina; 02-13-2022 at 12:55 PM..

Old 02-13-2022, 02:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They can add to the security of your property if planted around the fence
They would give intruders a nasty surprise.
I have some of those on my property:
https://gardenerspath.com/plants/fol...ensive-plants/

Did you try to eat the fruits? Pretty tasty!!
Prickly pear cactus — or also known as nopal, opuntia and other names — is promoted for treating diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity and hangovers. It's also touted for its antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
When ripe, they are syrupy sweet.
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...kly-pears.html

These "Tiny spines – called glochids – are thinner than a human eyelash and look a little bit like fur. At the slightest touch, they’ll embed themselves into your skin and clothes – and removal is almost impossible." gave me a nasty surprise.

Knowing they're there I've never tried eating any of it. I know both the fruit and the 'leaves' are eaten. Do those nasty little spines go away when cooked? They're bad enough on your hands, I'd hate to have any in my throat.

Old 02-13-2022, 03:16 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
A few years ago a neighbor gave me a 'leaf' from what I'll generically call a prickly pear cactus, it was a little more successful growing with no attention than I'd planned on. I'd like to get rid of it, the spines aren't bad but it has these tiny little 'hairs' that get under your skin are VERY annoying. I've had little success with today's weedkillers, nowhere near as effective as the old school ones were. Is there some chemical(s) I can spray on them that will hopefully make them shrivel up and be easier to handle?
just water it a lot!

Old 02-13-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I see the pads in the vegetable section of the grocery stores. You might try eating one before you do anything. They're said to taste like green beans.
Oh they are delicious.

If you cut off the new tender growth every season - it would not get very big

Old 02-13-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
These "Tiny spines – called glochids – are thinner than a human eyelash and look a little bit like fur. At the slightest touch, they’ll embed themselves into your skin and clothes – and removal is almost impossible." gave me a nasty surprise.

Knowing they're there I've never tried eating any of it. I know both the fruit and the 'leaves' are eaten. Do those nasty little spines go away when cooked? They're bad enough on your hands, I'd hate to have any in my throat.
No - you harvest the new pads. The "spines" are very tender little things and you slice them off. My mom would do it with a razor blade. The baby spines are not sharp at all.

You can eat them and also can them. They sell them in stores in jars or fresh.

Old 02-13-2022, 03:44 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
A few cactus pads concealed by Styrafoam peanuts would make a good gift for porch pirates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden