Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,061 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are very new at this. We are landscaping (very simple stuff) our little gravel plot in front of our house. We want to lay cedar mulch (looks pretty) and some low bushes with one big (4-5 feet) type of shrub/plant. My question is: What kinds of plants should we be looking at? Some color would be nice. Maybe something that can be green year-round.

Also, are there any fast growing shrubs/plants anyone knows about that can handle Colorado's vastly changing climates? Thanks!!

Re: Growth. I always see, "grows to 4 feet once established." But I can't ever figure out establishment rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 03:38 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,915 times
Well, as far as established - I have a saying:
First year sleep, second year, creep, third year leap.
Generally has held true for me.

I can tell you what bushes we have in front of our house - 2 low type junipers that have become monsters. I truly hate them, but they were with the house when we bought it. I should have taken them out then. Now they are too big. I'm not sure why I dislike them so much but I do. They definitely stay green year round. One even caught fire from a tiki torch one Halloween and that darn thing seemed to like it - grew bigger.
I do like red twig dogwood because in the winter there is a bit of color.
We also have on the back of our deck chokecherry bushes that have given us great privacy. I love the purple leaves and the robins love the berries. They can get pretty tall though.
I would recommend going to a local nursery because a lot of times the big box stores sell things that don't do well here in Colorado. Keep in mind the intense sun can really do a number on some plants.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:05 PM

thanks. We def. plan on visiting a nursery, this weekend. I'm bummed about the first year sleep. So doesn't it look sparse the first year? Or do you just buy a bigger bush (more mature)? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Well, you can go with a larger bush if you want a bigger look right away. But it still will be a year or two before it gets going.
Oh - another bush I really like is the barberry bush. But....even though it will say full sun, here I have not been able to keep them alive in full sun. It seems to harsh for them. Morning sun does well. Mine has gotten very large and I really love the red color. My son isn't too thrilled with the thorns though when mowing near it.
I also have some skyrocket junipers in the back yard and I will have to say I do really like those. I also have another variety that grows tall that has a bluer hue to it.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:11 PM

269 posts, read 1,267,205 times
I'm not sure if you're looking for low water shrubs, but I use this site to try and pick some plants for my yard-
Xeriscaping: Trees and Shrubs
These are suggestions from CSU's Horticulture group for Trees & Shrubs in the Denver Metro region. I would suggest that you keep this list with you while you look at shrubs at a nursery.

Also, these are notes from the CSU Master Gardener series on home gardening-
Colorado State University Master Gardener - Woody Plants -- Trees, Shrubs, and Vines (http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/files/gardennotes/Shrubs.html - broken link)
Some Master Gardeners are available for free consults in local Home Depots all through this month. I have been able to use this help quite extensively in planning a new veggie garden, and in re-hauling my existing lawn areas.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 PM

oh hey those are great links!! thanks!!

And I saw a barberry bush yesterday that looked like it might be really cool. We have all morning sun (we face the east), then it gets hot behind the house with afternoon sun. So maybe it'd be alright?

We are going to Paulino's this weekend, I've always liked them.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:51 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
If you're looking for something that stays green all winter, there are spruce/pine bushes, but I think over the long term they get quite big and take over. I've seen a nice low growing (more ground cover) juniper that's sort of blue in color that I really like and wouldn't grow upright. And then for broadleaf evergreens, I have two varieties of Boxwood that are doing great. You can make a hedge out of them. I also have a couple varieties of Holly that do well and stay green in winter as well as several varieties of Eunoamous (both ground cover and bush). With the broadleaf evergreens, you need to use an acidic fertilizer twice per year to keep them healthy and green.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 AM

thanks for that info! We've made a list of all the helpful suggestions I've received and will scope them out in the greenery. I hope this doesn't cost too much!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
thanks for that info! We've made a list of all the helpful suggestions I've received and will scope them out in the greenery. I hope this doesn't cost too much!
Well now, that, unfortunately we can't help you with .

Just be sure to keep all of your receipts. If you have a problem with a plant you can return it. Policies are different at different places - our local nursery will give a credit or exchange, while Home Depot returns your money, no questions asked for up to a year. I've taken what practically looked like a twig back and have gotten my money. I just keep the pots and receipt. If I'm wanting a common something that they carry, I will get it there because of the return policy.
If I want something very specialized, then I go to the local nursery.
Also, if you will be getting trees (and they even have bushes, perennials, just about everything), you may want to check out The Tree Farm here out of Longmont. In the fall they have great deals, and we've never had issues with anything we've gotten there.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:14 PM

thanks for the info on returns. We really like Lowes. I thought about buying there, but they are a little short on expert gardeners. More like zitty teens or hulky construction guys, but nope, no gardeners. I'll keep what you said in mind when we buy. Looking forward to the weekend, hope the tornado stays away!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden