Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 04:36 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,894,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, but they’re a one shot deal. Early spring, then nothing.
Encore means they bloom twice. I've got some; some are good about blooming again in Fall, another refuses to do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 05:32 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,187,428 times
Hellebores will do well in the shade - they are evergreen - different ones bloom for Christmas and Easter
I would still plant a dwarf Alberta spruce for interest year round and especially in winter - deer wouldn’t touch it.
Skimmia japonica is a low growingevergreen shrub - male has a pleasant fragrance and the female bright red berries (toxic), they are elegant looking, practically maintenance free
https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/s...ponica/#poison

All those would look lovely with some ferns? The deer usually leaves them alone

https://bbbarns.com/garden-blog/2018...een-beautiful/

Old 03-17-2022, 08:04 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Interestingly, my daughter just asked the same question. She lives in St Charles, MO.

I suggest Encore azaleas. Make sure you plant them at least 3’ away from the house.

You can get them 18” high or 4-5’ high.
Yes, there's a really wide array of sizes and colors in Encore azaleas. I have a row of the dwarf variety lining my brick front walkway in full sun and they do quite well. They're a deep fuschia and rebloom nicely.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:47 AM

7,504 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Spreading Yews, Camelia's and Euonymus work in shade too.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:53 PM

63 posts, read 46,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I think my wife has changed her mind and she would want perennials instead of shrubs.
That was suggested in my post…Perennials nice. I would also suggest to also include some evergreen small shrubs for your growing zone. Otherwise winters in that area will have no color …blah … nothing growing area. Add a few deer resistant early spring bulbs , daffs..crocus…lily of the valley….and summer bloomers like dwarf cannas…cluster areas here and there. Just be glad you don’t have gophers and moles…nothings safe..
spring will be here soon warmer temps . When the soil temps are 55-60’ or above and last frost has past then you can add top soil to build up beds and plant. Always start with a good raised bed of good top soil. 4-6”.
I prefer mushroom compost gives new plants a good start.
Shade perennials and google shade blooming perennials and evergreen dwarf shrubs for your zone.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Red Pygmy dogwood (Cornus florida 'Red Pygmy')

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Red+P...ih=560&dpr=1.5

Old 03-17-2022, 08:07 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Having something that will attract hummers and butterflies would be a plus. My wife love Bottlebrush, they will not survive the winter here.
We have Bottle brush all over, around here. Those darn things are the messiest trees! Well, those and pepper trees. Melaleuca get an honorable mention, too.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:55 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,209,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Red Pygmy dogwood (Cornus florida 'Red Pygmy')

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Red+P...ih=560&dpr=1.5

On my adjoining lot I have nine dogwood trees. I had one dogwood tree (lot with house) that was shaped very good and pretty, but it died due to getting to much sun. I am waiting to make sure it is dead and I will cut it down and put a small circled flower bed there where the stump is. The birdbath that my parents had would be put there also.

I am still looking for something on the shady side. I backed off doing something raised due to the cost of dirt being delivered. The dirt at this side of the house is fill dirt, so it should be easy to dig for planting. What goes there also needs to be deer resistant being I have seen eleven deer at a time on that side of the house in our adjoining lot.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:57 AM
JRR

8,163 posts, read 5,654,439 times
The area by my front steps gets no sun and I wanted something that would give me a bit of color during the year. After a ton of research, I wound up planting two Love Child Itea (Sweetspire) there. So far they are doing great; nice white flowers in the late spring with a bit of fragrance, healthy green leaves during the summer that turned burgundy in the autumn and some of them stayed on for most of the winter. It now is starting to leaf out so I am hoping for an even better year.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:20 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,209,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
The area by my front steps gets no sun and I wanted something that would give me a bit of color during the year. After a ton of research, I wound up planting two Love Child Itea (Sweetspire) there. So far they are doing great; nice white flowers in the late spring with a bit of fragrance, healthy green leaves during the summer that turned burgundy in the autumn and some of them stayed on for most of the winter. It now is starting to leaf out so I am hoping for an even better year.
This may work - I will check Lowes and the local nurseries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden