Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:32 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Advertisements

After I read about people successfully growing palm trees as far north as zone 5a.(although if it gets below -10 none will ever survive) I live in zone 10a but the lowest temp ive ever experienced in my life was 34 degrees. I guess the temperatures are more of a "worst case scinerio" they are not remotely close to "average" minimum. Oil city appears to border zone 5a-5b and get up to -20 but this makes me laugh as its 50 right now and the lows are between 25 and high 30s in Oil city. That is not even close to zone 5 temps, its more like zone 9! Many palm trees do fine in zone 9. I could grow citrus trees as long as temps dont dip below 10f.
My best chances may be in south(east) OH and much of WV with 6a zone(up to -10) but almost never dips below 10. Oil city is almost a full zone(10f) colder, this could be problamatic for growing plants that prefer the tropics and subtropics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Talk about cold tolerance!

Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
You are leaving Florida....leave the trees !
We also relocated from Florida and brought our many plants and trees (over 60).
With exception to my houseplants, I found that the natural trees and plants in my new area are just as beautiful and REFRESHING! In my opinion.. a palm tree does not compare to the beautiful Oaks with the moss hanging form them at all!
I am guilty of having 2 coconut palm, several bamboos and 2 rainbow eucalyptus(sp) ( my babies), also a bunch a staghorns. I faught to bring them, but now realize they would of been better left with family in Florida.
Experience the "new".

Old 01-04-2007, 07:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
In my opinion.. a palm tree does not compare to the beautiful Oaks with the moss hanging form them at all!
I agree. Love the oaks, love the roads canopied with overhanging foliage.
And you don't have to leave Florida to experience them, plenty of oaks dripping with Spanish moss up north.
I am starting over here, left all my plants back in Colorado.
I am still getting accustomed to seeing the plants I used to grow either inside my house, or as annuals, growing *outside* here in northern Florida.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
There are a couple potted palm trees outside a restaurant in Morristown, NJ. They look miserable. I wouldn't move palm trees north of the Carolinas.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Angry No I don't think they will survive

Those type trees will not survive in the northern climates.

They will see periods way below freezing, like even down to zero. If it was possible people would do it.

I saw tropical type plants in Italy but not very far north, like out on the Isle of Capri and around Naples. They had citrus and some type of small banana but they also planted them in a stone wind break.

In London, UK they do grow tropical plants but that is in a enclosed glass greenhouse like deal.

You probably can rig up some sheltered type deal and get them to survive but I doubt it will be like Florida, plus the soils might not be right. They do grow a type palm tree indoors. I've never seen the Florida type trees in the north just growing wild. Think the cold peak dips will kill them.

If they will survive, I am digging up some grapefruit in the backyard and taking them to Ohio.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:45 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
I dont remember the name, but there is a minor league baseball park in Peoria, IL that has palm trees outside the outfield fence. I couldnt tell you what kind of palm they are, or the park, but Ive seen pictures. I dont know if theyre just seasonal (summer only) or what, but theyre there!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:48 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Ok, this post is just too funny to ignore!

The larger question is "why"? Why would anyone want to transport tropical (outdoors) plants to a northern climate???

The point of travel, and of relocation, is to enjoy new and different surroundings.

If one wants palm trees and orange groves, one should stay in FL (or CA).

And no, sorry you can't bring any manatees to PA either. They just don't do well in the rivers up north.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I saw some amazing subtropical plants in, of all places, northwestern Scotland.
Turns out the North Atlantic Drift keeps temps fairly mild there along the coast.
Palm trees, exotic ferns, eucalyptus, they were all there in a place called Inverewe Gardens.
No manatees though.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:17 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Ok, this post is just too funny to ignore!

The larger question is "why"? Why would anyone want to transport tropical (outdoors) plants to a northern climate???

The point of travel, and of relocation, is to enjoy new and different surroundings.

If one wants palm trees and orange groves, one should stay in FL (or CA).

And no, sorry you can't bring any manatees to PA either. They just don't do well in the rivers up north.
I agree. But did not realize the fact until after we relocated. For me, I have a great attatchment to my plants. I tend to have a green thumb. The frustration it created to bring them was not worth it, as they are not striving like they did in Florida, merely exsisting . In Florida, my back yard was like my private jungle. I did foster out a large number of plants and trees to family.
All or most of my plants and trees were clippings from a friends house. So all of them had some kind of memory attatched to them. They even carried my friends names. For instance, I had a neighbor (Ernie) who gave me a huge staghorn, which I flat out refused to leave behind. We call that stag "Big Ernie".
Anywho... you are relocating to move on... and move on you should. Experience the new.
"Hind sight is 20/20"

Last edited by theqbaby; 01-04-2007 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: fingers moving faster than brain !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden