Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 10:54 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
How do you like your electric edger? I have an electric (black & decker) string trimmer that I basically got for free through a rewards program at work. It used the same battery as my drill (much smaller battery than my Ego) so I thought it was a good option. Last year when I used it, it did a decent job but the lines weren’t as sharp as some of my neighbors who use gas powered trimmers. This year I feel like it barely cuts, so I’m looking to upgrade so just curious about your experience with yours
String edgers don't do as good a job as edgers with a blade. Which is why I am planning to buy the 80 volt edger that goes with my mower and string trimmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 11:09 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
How do you like your electric edger? I have an electric (black & decker) string trimmer that I basically got for free through a rewards program at work. It used the same battery as my drill (much smaller battery than my Ego) so I thought it was a good option. Last year when I used it, it did a decent job but the lines weren’t as sharp as some of my neighbors who use gas powered trimmers. This year I feel like it barely cuts, so I’m looking to upgrade so just curious about your experience with yours
I have a BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger that I only paid $75 for four years ago. It has been great. I couldn't be happier with it. I only use it as an edger. I always hated weed wackers, but this one has a wheel and does a great job of edging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
String edgers don't do as good a job as edgers with a blade. Which is why I am planning to buy the 80 volt edger that goes with my mower and string trimmer.
I had an old gas powered edger with a blade. The string edger I have gives a closer line along sidewalks and my cement driveway. This one is great around mulch beds, which was impossible with my heavy gas powered one on wheels.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:14 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I have an old Black & Decker blade edger, but it’s always been a PITA use. Way more work than my string trimmer (which is gas). And now that I know enough to start up the trimmer at least every couple of weeks… I haven’t had a single problem getting it started this year. (And yes of course I always use non-ethanol gas in it). Maybe the new blade edgers are better, But mine sucks. It just really takes up space in the shed… I probably should get rid of it.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:56 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Well, as we move from blowers to edgers, my experience has been that the true blade edger is a pain to get going and it's really only good for one thing - edging along concrete sidewalks and driveways with good clearly defined edges. The guy who does my lawn, for example, he uses one because he's doing hundreds of feet of edging every day. Then he uses the weedeater for other trimming. For me as a homeowner doing the yard every week or every two weeks, using the weedeater for all of it makes better sense. Only one small gas engine instead of two (though, wherever possible, I'm transitioning to electric), one appliance to store and take care of. With practice I can make just as good an edge on a concrete sidewalk with a weedeater as with a true edger; and the weedeater works where an asphalt driveway is breaking down at the edges, it works to cut off the grass that grows in cracks, it works around flower beds, etc., etc.

I will say that where I can go from gas to electric (for my small yard) I am. I'm not tossing gas equipment that's in good condition but when it wears out I'm replacing it with electric (rechargeable battery or corded, depending). I've had almost 60 years of farting around with small IC engines and I'm well and truly sick of it. It's not lack of skills; I can tear down and rebuild any engine that exists; it's just the hassle of it. With electric you push the button or flip the switch and it's going.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:24 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, as we move from blowers to edgers, my experience has been that the true blade edger is a pain to get going and it's really only good for one thing - edging along concrete sidewalks and driveways with good clearly defined edges. The guy who does my lawn, for example, he uses one because he's doing hundreds of feet of edging every day. Then he uses the weedeater for other trimming. For me as a homeowner doing the yard every week or every two weeks, using the weedeater for all of it makes better sense. Only one small gas engine instead of two (though, wherever possible, I'm transitioning to electric), one appliance to store and take care of. With practice I can make just as good an edge on a concrete sidewalk with a weedeater as with a true edger; and the weedeater works where an asphalt driveway is breaking down at the edges, it works to cut off the grass that grows in cracks, it works around flower beds, etc., etc.

I will say that where I can go from gas to electric (for my small yard) I am. I'm not tossing gas equipment that's in good condition but when it wears out I'm replacing it with electric (rechargeable battery or corded, depending). I've had almost 60 years of farting around with small IC engines and I'm well and truly sick of it. It's not lack of skills; I can tear down and rebuild any engine that exists; it's just the hassle of it. With electric you push the button or flip the switch and it's going.
I agree with all of that. As a single homeowner, I have had to learn how to do a lot of things on my own.
I have rebuilt two carburetors (a gas blower and a gas trimmer) but man, I am tired of dealing with that kind of thing. My current gas trimmer is a Stihl, and I *think* I have the hang of keeping it in "start up condition" now, so I will stick with it for now. I've gotten fairly good at edging with it too. But I have gone to a corded blower for my garage (really the only place I use it) and a battery hedge trimmer (which has made a massive difference in my whole yard maintenance - so much better!). I'm pretty much done with the gas tools as far as anything new. I do have a gas mower, a Honda, that is great. No issues whatsoever with it.

Old 05-14-2022, 01:40 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I just bought a battery operated blower. I have 15+ years of leaves to move to the curb so our city can vacuum it all up. I raked the front of the ditch I'm working to clear but will use the blower to move the leaves faster and easier than it would take with a rake. Yes, I said 15+ years of leaves!

Old 05-18-2022, 09:18 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
you do really need the power of gas during fall cleanup, especially when the leaves are wet, but even the least powerful electric blower works fine for grass clippings. I have a little 18v electric blower …but would not be powerful enough for fall cleanup.
Have you tried a Stihl 38 volt blower?

Old 05-19-2022, 12:30 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I wish people would just switch to electric because of the noise! I suppose you could say that noise is a health issue too, as well as the environmental issue.

For the Climate, Make the Switch to Electric Leaf Blowers
The fix is so easy. Electric leaf blowers are effective, available and affordable. They emit no fossil fuel pollution. Their decibel output is safe. The best part? To make the switch requires only the simplicity and speed of personal decision. Yours. Today.
https://patabook.com/news/2022/04/15...db13fae3ed4367
The leaf blowers should be replaced with the rakes if you ask me.
It is better for health and the quality of life - don’t need even to discuss the climate.

Blowers seem to be the worst product in landscaping ever developed - just watch the city workers blowing the leaves around.
‘We pretend we are working” - the boys with toys.

Rake would get you the end results faster, quieter, cleaner, less air pollution and asthma- from all the stirred up dust and contaminants

Old 05-19-2022, 01:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
It is better for health and the quality of life - don’t need even to discuss the climate.

Blowers seem to be the worst product in landscaping ever developed - just watch the city workers blowing the leaves around.

Rake would get you the end results faster, quieter, cleaner, less air pollution and asthma- from all the stirred up dust and contaminants
Until you have a health condition that makes raking near impossible!

Old 05-19-2022, 02:03 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

Yeah, I think the issue with them is that they emit so much pollution. You can drive around all day and still not produce the same amount of pollution as a 30-minute foray with a leaf blower will produce. It seems like a really easy way to reduce pollution that is not really being explored seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden