Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 03:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times

Advertisements

Y'all have convinced me to stop pulling out the clover. I don't know why I started in the first place, being a bee lover. I'm actually going to go buy some clover seeds to fill in those empty patches. It's a mediocre lawn anyway. Might as well attract the bees. We have a couple wild bunnies in the back yard. They're around in the early morning. Maybe they'll venture out to the front yard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 04:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
That kept me out of one 55+ place we visited. If you didn't weed your flower bed (or pay someone to do it) they fined you $25.
For real? Who determines what's a weed?

Old 06-01-2022, 06:57 PM

I believe bobspez is in AZ, right? You have no idea how HOA people are out there! It can be brutal! And that, from HOA's that hire "landscapers" who butcher every single flowering shrub and tree on the property as soon as they get flowers, in order to prove that they are working while on the clock. It boggles the mind. When I lived in an HOA in AZ I was fined $50 for leaving a bicycle on my patio while I was in the process of moving in. Successfully fought that one.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:58 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If it's green, it stays.
Ditto!

Old 06-01-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If it's green, it stays.
A very good policy, esp. if it helps the bees!

Old 06-01-2022, 07:21 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
...)
It is rare in any civilization to have untouched, unmanipulated nature that runs right up to dwellings.
It doesn't have to be a wild field of weeds, but planned landscape with native plants and ground cover other than grass.

That micro clover looks pretty good to me
https://www.americanmeadows.com/gras...-seed-pelleted

Or this Pink Chintz Thyme. Fragrant too.
https://www.highcountrygardens.com/p...pink-chintz-nm

Or this beautiful, velvety Irish moss
https://styleblueprint.com/everyday/moss-lawn/

Last edited by elnina; 06-01-2022 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-01-2022, 08:26 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times
Go for it -some fond memories of my youth involve clover.

Recall many lazy afternoon of playing some pick up games and then cooling off with lemonade or ice tea and sitting in the yard and trying to find a four leaf clover amidst the clover interspersed with friends and siblings.

Another was drives out to rural areas to visit friends of family and passing a field that had a large amount of clover, especially after an afternoon rainstorm and the wind wafting the essence of fresh clover.

Stepping on a bee and being stung while barefoot in the grass/ clover is the downside.

Searching for weeds as part of doing yard work is another but we left the clover! Oh, and Frosted Lucky Charms commercials

An errant thought on a parallel theme.... do those poppy fields in Afghanistan make the locals fall asleep like the characters in Wizard of Oz?

Old 06-01-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Go for it -some fond memories of my youth involve clover.

Recall many lazy afternoon of playing some pick up games and then cooling off with lemonade or ice tea and sitting in the yard and trying to find a four leaf clover amidst the clover interspersed with friends and siblings.

Another was drives out to rural areas to visit friends of family and passing a field that had a large amount of clover, especially after an afternoon rainstorm and the wind wafting the essence of fresh clover.

Stepping on a bee and being stung while barefoot in the grass/ clover is the downside.

Searching for weeds as part of doing yard work is another but we left the clover!

An errant thought on a parallel theme.... do those poppy fields in Afghanistan make the locals fall asleep like the characters in Wizard of Oz?
Ah, you just reminded me that my dad found a four leaf clover on the huge lawn at Monticello when we visited Washington, D.C. in the summer of 1965. It was a big deal He kept it for a long time, but eventually lost track of it.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:52 PM

1,212 posts, read 732,197 times
Clover pokes up white flowers and looks like un-kept weeds.

Wild Strawberry stays lower to the ground but is not a tight ground cover.

Fine Fescue grass works well when the climate is not too hot. The Fine Fescue just flops over when it gets too tall.

This is a viewpoint of a low maintenance lawn.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:01 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It doesn't have to be a wild field of weeds, but planned landscape with native plants and ground cover other than grass.

That micro clover looks pretty good to me
https://www.americanmeadows.com/gras...-seed-pelleted

Or this Pink Chintz Thyme. Fragrant too.
https://www.highcountrygardens.com/p...pink-chintz-nm

Or this beautiful, velvety Irish moss
https://styleblueprint.com/everyday/moss-lawn/
Never seen a whole lawn of moss. I like it, but probably would get fed up with the weeding.

Clover is fine, I have clover all over my yard as it is.

The real question is how does it stand up to moderate traffic of dogs, people, etc. That would by my concern about the pink chintz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden