Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 07:20 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,368,495 times

Advertisements

Over the past two years, white clover has invaded my front lawn. Popular Media tells me that clover is a nasty invasive weed. I researched "What To Do About Clover" and found that local lawn services advise I am required to spend a lot of money to rip out my lawn, resod, and pay even more money to professionally and regularly apply various herbicides and fertilizers and, oh yeah, install a sprinkler system.

But, I noticed that bees and butterflies love that clover. I regularly mow so the clover stays less than 2 inches tall. It stays green even when the rest of the lawn starts dying off due to lack of regular irrigation. I further researched pros and cons and found this article: https://dengarden.com/gardening/Clover-Lawns.

I don't see the listed negatives as negatives
  • I am not allergic to bees.
  • I have not designated my front lawn as a practice field for local sports teams.
  • I do not make a habit of ecstatically writhing around in my front yard in dry-clean-only clothing. (I have my moments, never mind about them)

So, I think I am just going to give up on turf and just let that clover grow as much as it pleases. Any reasons why I shouldn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 10:06 PM

6,034 posts, read 4,388,918 times
I started overplanting clover the minute I bought this house. I can't say I have a full clover lawn but I have a lot of it and in some areas that were problematic before. I have bees and am happy to see them; I plant fruits and veg and have them pollinated (flowers, too), and the clover is a lush deep green. It's a work in progress as I wasn't able to take up the entire thing and start from dirt. But each year I seed small spots where water gathers when it rains and sparse spots and it reliably returns and flowers. I'd like to get to a point where it pushes out other weeds, but if not, I can still live with it. It also cuts much easier than everything else and I know this because I started out with a push mower.

My next door neighbor used a lawn service for years and laments her patches of dirt every spring. I said oh, I have those, but they're full of weeds. As long as they're all green, I just mow them and from across the street it looks fine.

When the clover is in bloom it's all you see. I keep a bag and seed where I think I need more. I love it.

Old 05-30-2022, 10:09 PM

14,314 posts, read 11,797,987 times
My dad had a decade of peace after he made the same decision about moss.

There's no rule that says you have to have a perfect grass lawn.

Old 05-30-2022, 10:25 PM

3,010 posts, read 2,321,679 times
Another benefit is that if the grass dies for some reason (e.g., grubs), it won't take out the whole lawn.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:15 AM

4,235 posts, read 2,430,473 times
I have applied a heavy course of benign neglect to my yard and it looks a lot better than those of my neighbors who are constantly having lawn services apply noxious chemicals.

About four times a year I spend a couple hours light work, pulling weeds (mostly using a hoe). Other than that I mow it and water it when it needs water.

I have a couple small areas that are mostly clover. Why should I work to eradicate it there? It's clearly more successful than turf grass in those spots.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:49 AM

1,045 posts, read 566,827 times
Lol, this post is great because my parent's tiny grass patch up front is getting more and more clover'ed every year. Luckily my dad doesn't care (he is cheap). I mow their tiny lawn every time I visit and kinda thought the exact same thing... maybe just all clovers would be better. I mean they don't picnic on that lawn or play mini soccer.

I think traditional lawns look amazing when kept right, but I know it can be taxing on the upkeep and let's not even mention all the chemicals and waste of water.

I say let's normalize clovers!

Old 05-31-2022, 07:53 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,119,767 times
UGH...I have tried and tried to get micro-clover established in my yard to no avail. But I will keep trying!

It is supposed to be good for the environment as it produces nitrogen. Micro versions can be trained to grow no taller than 4-6 inches, which means you may never have to mow again! It stays green and lush and is drought and traffic resistant.

I envy those of you who have this and for whom it is growing. Someday for me...

Old 05-31-2022, 08:20 AM

4,168 posts, read 3,360,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Over the past two years, white clover has invaded my front lawn. Popular Media tells me that clover is a nasty invasive weed. I researched "What To Do About Clover" and found that local lawn services advise I am required to spend a lot of money to rip out my lawn, resod, and pay even more money to professionally and regularly apply various herbicides and fertilizers and, oh yeah, install a sprinkler system.

But, I noticed that bees and butterflies love that clover. I regularly mow so the clover stays less than 2 inches tall. It stays green even when the rest of the lawn starts dying off due to lack of regular irrigation. I further researched pros and cons and found this article: https://dengarden.com/gardening/Clover-Lawns.

I don't see the listed negatives as negatives
  • I am not allergic to bees.
  • I have not designated my front lawn as a practice field for local sports teams.
  • I do not make a habit of ecstatically writhing around in my front yard in dry-clean-only clothing. (I have my moments, never mind about them)

So, I think I am just going to give up on turf and just let that clover grow as much as it pleases. Any reasons why I shouldn't?
None whatever. We actually bought clover seed and spread it.

It's green. It keeps things in place. It mows well.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:49 AM

1,300 posts, read 841,812 times
I LOVE clover and can't imagine anyone wanting to get rid of it! I also have lots of little flowers/pansies coming up in the lawn and think they are totally charming! I did hire an organic service this year to fertilize/treat the lawn and sure hope they aren't using anything to harm them....I'm not one who wants a golf course looking yard, but do want a healthy one.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:38 AM

409 posts, read 869,311 times
I live in the south and have hot summers. The strip of land between the sidewalk and road is in full hot sun. A couple of years ago that grass was dying along with some of my front yard. I tried reseeding grass but didn't work. Then I tried white clover seeds. They spouted and grew in the hottest weather. And they came back year after year.

I love clover. They are very easy to grow. Great for bare spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden