Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 09:14 AM

142 posts, read 200,082 times

Advertisements

My Primroses are in pots on my screened porch and they did very well this winter and spring. But now that the temps are in the high eighties, of course they are not happy.

Bearing in mind that they are in pots, what should be my next step to save them for next year? Or is it possible at all? Here is a collage I made of them.
Attached Thumbnails
My Primroses-primroses-collage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 11:45 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslane View Post

My Primroses are in pots on my screened porch and they did very well this winter and spring. But now that the temps are in the high eighties, of course they are not happy.

Bearing in mind that they are in pots, what should be my next step to save them for next year? Or is it possible at all? Here is a collage I made of them.
If you want to keep them in pots permanently for the porch it would be advisable to repot them into bigger pots so the roots can spread more. Otherwise I'd suggest taking them out of their pots and plant them permanently into the ground in a location that gets mostly dappled sun all day. They don't like heat nor full sun all day. That way they'll benefit from any morning dew on the ground and it will be easier for them to grow bigger roots and to divide themselves. They might even bloom again in early autumn.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:38 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,370 times
No advice; just want to say that's a great splash of color. So pretty!

Old 05-25-2022, 05:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Where do you live? Here, it gets too hot for them in summer and of course, they would freeze to death in the winter. But in England they were everywhere due to the mild climate. I don't know if they could take the summer heat. Once I tried bringing them inside when it got too hot but that didn't work. I hope there's an answer for those of us who have to deal with the hot American summers because they are such beautiful little flowers.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:56 PM

142 posts, read 200,082 times
Thank you for all your good replies! As I watched them looking so happy, I decided they might come back again in the spring if I put them outside. Like Zoisite said, I chose a part shady spot that I think they like. They gave me so much pleasure while they were blooming.

in_newengland, when we had really cold weather here in South Carolina, I covered them up at night and they survived some pretty cold nights like that.

Thank you, cjs123. Since I started them from seed, I was really surprised to get such a variety of colors!

Old 06-09-2022, 05:45 AM

30,498 posts, read 16,206,257 times
I'm impressed you got them to grow from seed.

Just planted a couple this spring. They'll get quite a bit of sun and I gave them lots of mulch. I also mulch some things in the fall so will add them to the fall mulching list.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:18 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Primroses are annuals in SC. They prefer cooler temps.

Old 06-12-2022, 04:00 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,703 times
Hi pslane, I’ve also enjoyed growing primroses this year for the first time. Since they’re perennials, after they stopped blooming, I put several in a large pot on the cool shady side of the barn. So far, they’ve gotten much larger and if they hold out when the heat hits, they’ll be set out next year.

The second picture is the last primrose in bloom, it’s peeking out from behind the foxgloves. Primroses can be a little fussy about water, but they’re nice spring flowering plants.
Attached Thumbnails
My Primroses-50320166-1d70-4a2e-9a0f-487871225723.jpeg   My Primroses-0c2a6e4e-6b7e-425a-9256-46d50287bbf8.jpeg  

Old 06-12-2022, 05:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Primroses are annuals in SC. They prefer cooler temps.
They aren't perennials here in New England. Once it gets too hot, they die off. I can't imagine them making it through our winters either when the temperature is 5 or 10 degrees F during the day and they'd be buried under piles of snow for months.

Sadly, the only time they seem to thrive is in the spring. Same as pansies, another flower that would be enjoyable if it could survive the extremes in weather.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:44 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They aren't perennials here in New England. Once it gets too hot, they die off. I can't imagine them making it through our winters either when the temperature is 5 or 10 degrees F during the day and they'd be buried under piles of snow for months.

Sadly, the only time they seem to thrive is in the spring. Same as pansies, another flower that would be enjoyable if it could survive the extremes in weather.
Primroses actually require winter cold to come back the next year. They won't survive in sunny locations in warm summers. I am in zone 8 and they are supposed to behave as perennials here. I planted some a couple of years ago and stupidly placed them in an area where they got several hours of sun. Needless to say, they died. I might try again in a shady protected area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden