Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 07:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times

Advertisements

For some of us who pay someone else to mown,when was the last time you give him a raise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 07:32 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
I raise the back wheels (about a half inch on my finish mower) that I mow the front yard with. Mid morning or early evening when it is hot is best. One third rule for blade height, though that may mean cuts every four to five days.

I have a supplemental well that I use for an in-lawn irrigation system. I set alternating zones every other day for 30 minutes on 180* heads, and a full hour on 360* heads. The controller will check the weather and turn off depending on various factors, including temperature or rain.

My main adversary is fungus diseases.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:05 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
For some of us who pay someone else to mown,when was the last time you give him a raise?
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm given an estimate every mowing season. If it's gone up from last season, that's the lawnmowing guy giving himself a raise or at least a cost-of-living increase.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:53 AM

463 posts, read 285,892 times
I can see it going up a lot this year with gas doubling in price.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:11 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I cut my lawn on a regular basis, but I cut it long. Long grass blades look nicely mowed and maintained when all blades are the same length. Long grass doesn't have to look shaggy. I leave mine long but keep it neat.

The longer grass shades the ground and conserves water. I also water less frequently, but water deeper. The roots will follow the water down and the deeper the water is the slower it will evaporate.

If weather is hot, mow early in the morning.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:34 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I cut my lawn on a regular basis, but I cut it long. Long grass blades look nicely mowed and maintained when all blades are the same length. Long grass doesn't have to look shaggy. I leave mine long but keep it neat.

The longer grass shades the ground and conserves water. I also water less frequently, but water deeper. The roots will follow the water down and the deeper the water is the slower it will evaporate.

If weather is hot, mow early in the morning.
Yup I keep my grass longer at 4". Cuts the watering needs down by a lot.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:33 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I'm sorry, but spending time and money watering the lawn so it won't die so you can spend more time and money mowing the lawn just seems like insanity to me (I'm anti-lawn). Rockscape or ground cover would be preferable, but what would be so terrible about cutting it short and letting it die if that's what nature dictates? My next "lawn" is going to be either sand at the beach or maintained by the helpful condo association...

Old 06-20-2022, 01:50 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm sorry, but spending time and money watering the lawn so it won't die so you can spend more time and money mowing the lawn just seems like insanity to me (I'm anti-lawn). Rockscape or ground cover would be preferable, but what would be so terrible about cutting it short and letting it die if that's what nature dictates? My next "lawn" is going to be either sand at the beach or maintained by the helpful condo association...
I don’t disagree with you but for us a small circumference of thick green around the house, irrigated, does help with wildfire mitigation. The rest of my acreage is exactly as Mother Nature intends and I don’t do squat to it other than cut it down when the grass seasons.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:07 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,098,227 times
I prefer short, neighbor prefers an inch or so longer. Both look fine. What amuses me is the folks on my street who are out with sprinklers and hoses as soon as the temperature goes above 80f, as if their lawn is about to shrivel up and die. They do that a day after a rainstorm, and it usually rains the next day. I don’t think people in my neighborhood ever grew up in an arid climate

Old 06-21-2022, 08:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
tomorrow saturday so the mowers will start about 5:30 when the sun comes up. it not a bother, I can sleep through anything, but here 95 degrees is not that bad
I want to know where you live that 95 degrees is "not that bad"!

Anyway, in the Pacific NW, I always let my lawn go dormant in the summer...always came back with the rains in the fall. Here in Ohio, I have not watered lawns in the three years I've lived here and they seem to do fine. Hoping this year will be the same, but it seems like less rainfall so far.....hoping it will go dormant and I can cut out the mowing....although I got a Robomow for the large back yard and so far it is doing a great job and getting SO to do the smaller front yard with the electric mower, so I guess I'm pretty much chill in any case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden