Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2022, 07:19 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times

Advertisements

Shasta daisies -- I'm thinking yes, they should be deadheaded, but will bow to others' experience.

Gloriosa daisies -- Not sure?

Black-eyed Susan/Rudbeckia daisies -- Not sure? I do want at least some of them to set seed, but should I deadhead the rest and if so, will they bloom again this summer?

I'm chuckling as I write this, as Black-Eyed Susans have long been on my "something I regretted planting" list because they seem to pop up everywhere in subsequent years. But where I have planted their seeds (last year, so they are blooming this year), they are the perfect plant. And I think I can control their spread. I know! I'm probably delusional. They certainly are gorgeous and cheerful this year, along with the Gloriosa flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 12:23 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
I used to have white daisies and they were OK but then the black eyed Susans showed up and I preferred the color, so I let them stay. Now, like you, I'm wondering how much I can control them as they are - can you guess? - popping up everywhere. But I have reasonable control over the wild blackberries and the baptisia (working on a native garden) and it never occurred to me to deadhead the Susans, so I vote yes, do it, and let me know if it helps. I'm going to do it, too, and see if they pop up in fewer places next year.

Old 06-18-2022, 12:20 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,964 times
Bird lovers might tell you not to deadhead perennials like coneflowers, black-eye susans, and sunflowers, as the birds will come get the tiny seeds out of the spent heads. But maybe if you left the heads on the ground nearby they could figure it out.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:56 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
Bird lovers might tell you not to deadhead perennials like coneflowers, black-eye susans, and sunflowers, as the birds will come get the tiny seeds out of the spent heads. But maybe if you left the heads on the ground nearby they could figure it out.

I am hoping deadheading will encourage a second bloom. And then I will leave those blooms to go to seed and the birds will be happy. Of course, I will probably be cursing next year when I am trying to rip out all the black-eyed Susan "volunteers".

Old 06-25-2022, 05:10 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,790 times
I used to deadhead my black-eyed Susans and would get more blooms, sometimes, if they bloomed early and frost was late I might get 3 sets of bloom time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden