U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 12:05 AM

99 posts, read 44,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Will my wisteria plant ever grow?"...Trust me, you do not want it to grow. Trash it before it takes over.
I'd agree. I've lived in several states and volunteered at local state parks. I know at least one of those parks we had a massive effort to eradicate invasive wisteria. We had to lop it off then paint the stem with herbicide.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 04:03 PM

5,972 posts, read 3,873,134 times
Guuuys...the wisteria plant is putting out a leaf...

I actually thought of a place to plant it.

My neighbors and I have 1 acre lots, but they're narrow lots. My neighbors have built a house on their lot and it's the kind of house where the 1st floor is a garage (for cars and a boat) and they'll be living in the upper part - the second story.

We have a think line of trees separating the two properties, but there aren't enough trees to completely have them block their view of my yard. And I enjoy sitting outside in summer watching the critters and being lazy.

I was thinking of planting the wisteria over by my side of the trees. The wisteria could climb the trees and it would make a nice screen between me and my neighbors.

What do you think?

Old 07-10-2022, 12:49 AM

13,138 posts, read 11,661,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

My neighbors and I have 1 acre lots, but they're narrow lots. My neighbors have built a house on their lot and it's the kind of house where the 1st floor is a garage (for cars and a boat) and they'll be living in the upper part - the second story.

We have a think line of trees separating the two properties, but there aren't enough trees to completely have them block their view of my yard. And I enjoy sitting outside in summer watching the critters and being lazy.

I was thinking of planting the wisteria over by my side of the trees. The wisteria could climb the trees and it would make a nice screen between me and my neighbors.

What do you think?
NO!!! That's a really bad idea and a sure fire way to turn your neighbours into your enemies. If you do that the wisteria WILL strangle and kill the trees and any animals that may nibble on parts of the plant will be poisoned. The vines mature into vines as strong as iron and I've seen uncontrolled wisteria that grows like monsters in the PNW climate that have pulled down stone walls and overpasses, pulled apart buildings like log barns and crushed and toppled trees. Don't unleash a potential invasive monster into the PNW. Do you know what species of wisteria yours is?

You don't seem to be understanding what people are telling you about the destructive strength and invasiveness of wisteria. Even native American wisteria can cause problems. Your neighbours won't take kindly to all the damage and expenses that will happen to their property and the resulting reduced property values once your wisteria invades their property. They could take you to court and make you pay for all the damages, replacements and clean up. You should also be taking your own reduced property values into consideration too.

If you insist on growing it then keep it completely contained in a super-solid container and growing on a trellis away from trees and structures.

And keep in mind what you said in the very last sentence you wrote in your original post. Read it again. Don't be that guy.

Here is some additional information you should know about wisteria.
https://todayshomeowner.com/native-a...rted-wisteria/

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-10-2022 at 01:16 AM..

Old 07-11-2022, 10:03 AM

35,597 posts, read 41,716,750 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Dear God NO!!! No no no no. NO. Have you not read the earlier posts???

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/wi...%20grow%20back.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:16 PM

3,886 posts, read 2,886,525 times
Quote:
"Will my wisteria plant ever grow?"...Trust me, you do not want it to grow. Trash it before it takes over.
Amen. OP is lucky it IS a dead stick.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:59 PM

Actually, I wish the deer would nibble on it. I'm tired of them eating my roses.

In one way, I think you guys gave me a feeling of revenge - from years ago. Back in 2001, I was renting a trailer in San Jose and I planted a wisteria vine. I think it was two years old when the landlord told me he was boosting my rent from $450 to $800 a month, causing me to have to leave an area I'd live in for 26 years. I was not happy.

But now I'm thinking he had to deal with that wisteria...

Anyway, I have no idea what species it is. It certainly is going gangbusters though. The leaves are now 1" long. I guess it can stay in the barrel for now and I'll keep an eye on it. Once it blooms, I'll see what kind of wisteria blooms it has and try to tell the species.

We have someone close to town who has a wisteria tree. I swear, the trunk is 3ft thick and it looks like it's been chopped off at the top. But there are a tangle of vines sprouting from it and every year it blooms and looks gorgeous. I guess that's what made me want to have a wisteria.

Anyway, thank you all for your replies and help. I have one of those metal wash tubs and I think I may put a layer of rocks in the bottom and transplant the wisteria to that. I'll see how things go.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:43 PM

35,597 posts, read 41,716,750 times
Quote:

We have someone close to town who has a wisteria tree. I swear, the trunk is 3ft thick and it looks like it's been chopped off at the top. But there are a tangle of vines sprouting from it and every year it blooms and looks gorgeous. I guess that's what made me want to have a wisteria.
Yeah someone in my neighborhood had one like that and it really was beautiful, and that was exactly why I wanted one. 15 years later, and they long ago tired of the trimming, and it has taken over all the nearby trees and is now covering the house. I feel bad for them - they should have never planted it. Such a mess they have on their hands now.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:15 PM
bu2

20,829 posts, read 11,373,440 times
Quote:
Mine was so thick when I moved in it took me 10 minutes to walk 100 ft. across the back of my lot! I'm still fighting it about a dozen years later.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:47 AM

5,524 posts, read 3,282,531 times
Quote:

What do you think?

Plant it away from any buildings with foundations or any trees that you want to live. Get it a pergola or something to swarm over and keep it contained. Depending on your climate the kind of wisteria it is, containment might be an impossible dream.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Plant it away from any buildings with foundations or any trees that you want to live. Get it a pergola or something to swarm over and keep it contained. Depending on your climate the kind of wisteria it is, containment might be an impossible dream.
I found out the wisteria I have is called Blue Moon wisteria and it's a cultivar of a wisteria originally from Kentucky. So it's probably not as invasive as one from from overseas. I also live in the PNW and this wisteria has to be able to handle below freezing temps occasionally in the winter and also snow. It's rated for up to Zone 9 and I think I'm in Zone 8, so we'll see what happens. It is growing like a weed, though. From dead to full speed ahead in less than a week.

But I like your idea. I'm living in a 5th wheeler right now and the awning only lasted a year. It blew down last month and although I've ordered a canopy, I only expect that to only last a year, too.

So next spring I'll have someone build an arbor and I think at that point, I'll let the wisteria climb over it. I may not even take it out of the half barrel to plant it. I'll be living in the trailer for maybe another 5 years (which is all that will probably last anyway), so if the wisteria gets out of control, it can be cut way back when I get rid of the trailer.

Meantime, the trailer is pretty much at one end of an acre lot with no other buildings, trees, or houses nearby. Right now I'm far more concerned with keeping the Scotch Broom out of my lot. Now that's invasive and once it gets over 8" high, it's almost impossible to pull out by hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden