U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 04:00 PM

8,466 posts, read 3,247,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Will my wisteria plant ever grow?"...Trust me, you do not want it to grow. Trash it before it takes over.
Haha, that's exactly what one of my Uncles used to say. "Pull it out by the roots and burn it. I can't understand why anyone wants these awful plants".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 09:48 PM

5,524 posts, read 3,282,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I can't keep the deer from coming right up to my trailer when I'm not there. When I am there, they walk up to within a couple feet. They aren't afraid of anything.

I did finally throw out some apples for the doe. She went round and round trying to find them. I thought I'd have to go out and pick them up and throw them again.

But the real birdbrains are the birds. I just bought a feeder and they ignored it. I put it on the ground and they sit on it or they cling to the side and peck at the seed inside. Or they peck at the ground all around the feeder.

I finally said the heck with it and hung it up again. Today a bird actually found the feeder and was eating seed off of it. And a hummingbird found their feeder too.

I know I'm pretty dense and to see animals dumber than me was getting me worried. But all is well now. At least I know the birds learn faster than I do.

Some birds are ground feeders, so that's where they'll look first. You should know what birds you have before you spend on feeders, but in the end, the higher feeders will eat from the feeders and the ground feeders (and rodents) will eat what they spill. I use the suet blocks because the hogs here will eat an entire one in one day and if I get a fruit/nut one, everyone likes something, so it's not wasted.

Get some chicken wire for around your wisteria.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:34 PM

5,972 posts, read 3,873,134 times
My juncos are definitely ground feeders, but my friend has a feeder and all her juncos use it. Maybe my birds are just slow.

I did spend some time building a ring of wood (out of a dowel) and tied it onto the feeder. I think they may have been ignoring the feeder because they just couldn't hang on to the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden