Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 03:39 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times

Advertisements

So I ordered a wisteria plant by mail. It arrived looking like a dead stick about a foot long with a few roots on the end. I planted it maybe two weeks ago and it still looks like a dead stick.

I received a climbing rose the same day and it's going gangbusters. So how long will it take this wisteria to grow? Or will it? Is it really dead?

I'm in Washington state and we've just finished up with 5 months of non-stop rain. Tomorrow and Monday it's supposed to be in the 90s. On Tuesday the temp drops to into the 60s. Again.

I also planted some bulbs a couple weeks ago. I finally dug a few of them up and they seem to be putting roots out, so I replanted them. Do bulbs usually take this long to grow?

Yeah, I'm not the brightest light in the shed when it comes to gardening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 04:42 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
"Will my wisteria plant ever grow?"...Trust me, you do not want it to grow. Trash it before it takes over.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:07 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,103 times
I read that wisteria don't like growing in wet soil, maybe all that rain rotted the few roots yours had. If it were me, I'd carefully dig up the plant and take a look for new root growth.
I can't help you about the bulbs. When I planted them at my last house, as soon as they started growing my husband pulled them out thinking they were weeds. I planted 100 daffodil bulbs at my present house. The next spring about half came up, the year after that about 10 came up. After 20 years the only ones that ever grow are in the woods behind my garden shed. How they got there I'll never know. They are the only 2 survivors.
The rest of my garden is doing great, though.

BTW, I know you from Greenleaf.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:26 AM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
If it came looking like a dead stick and stayed that way, it could be they sent you a dead stick. I see lots of sticks on sale where they sell plants, marked down, but they'll usually replace it if it stays dead. Wisteria has a reputation for growth, so I'd say ask for a new one.

Bulbs are weird little things. First, you should pay attention to how deep it says to plant them. Second, they can lurk under there and reappear and surprise you. I've been digging up and giving away bulbs by the hundreds since I moved in here and the more I dig up and give away, the more different varieties pop up. But usually you plant bulbs in the fall and they come up in spring or if you have spring bulbs, they could be done flowering for the season. If you find them a spot they like, they divide and multiply like rabbits (ask me how many hundreds of daffodils were here, and some still are). They're a plague here. Then the lilies came up, now I'm seeing the most horrible gladiolus colors. When they were out, the loveliest little rain lilies popped up.

I moved some of the smaller things in colors I liked and they're doing well. I just dread to think what might be next.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:35 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So I ordered a wisteria plant by mail. It arrived looking like a dead stick about a foot long with a few roots on the end. I planted it maybe two weeks ago and it still looks like a dead stick.

I received a climbing rose the same day and it's going gangbusters. So how long will it take this wisteria to grow? Or will it? Is it really dead?

I'm in Washington state and we've just finished up with 5 months of non-stop rain. Tomorrow and Monday it's supposed to be in the 90s. On Tuesday the temp drops to into the 60s. Again.

I also planted some bulbs a couple weeks ago. I finally dug a few of them up and they seem to be putting roots out, so I replanted them. Do bulbs usually take this long to grow?

Yeah, I'm not the brightest light in the shed when it comes to gardening.
LOL! For your sake, I hope it died! I say this as someone that foolishly planted one a few years ago. It’s gone now, but I spent many many days the past two years digging up 20 foot long roots that had spread across my yard. I am thrilled that my yard is finally cleared of this awful pest.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I read that wisteria don't like growing in wet soil, maybe all that rain rotted the few roots yours had. If it were me, I'd carefully dig up the plant and take a look for new root growth.
I can't help you about the bulbs. When I planted them at my last house, as soon as they started growing my husband pulled them out thinking they were weeds. I planted 100 daffodil bulbs at my present house. The next spring about half came up, the year after that about 10 came up. After 20 years the only ones that ever grow are in the woods behind my garden shed. How they got there I'll never know. They are the only 2 survivors.
The rest of my garden is doing great, though.

BTW, I know you from Greenleaf.
WOOHOOHOO! Who are you? I have to get back on GL. I just haven't done any projects in forever so I have nothing to really talk about there.

I just planted the wisteria so the roots couldn't be rotted in this short of time. I think. I'll leave it for a while and see what happens.

--------------------

I know you all are saying to pull it out, but it's in its own half barrel and only about 6" tall, so I can't bring myself to trash it.

My bulbs though. I know I didn't plant them deep enough and I'm sure I planted them upside down. I also know they sure didn't get the spacing they should have and most of them have been planted at the wrong time of year. I will say though, we are finally experiencing spring. Just four months late. I have heard that bulbs can take up to 60 days to get going so I'm also going to just see what happens. I didn't pay that much for them.

And as far as I know, the squirrels haven't dug them up, although this morning I caught the deer chewing the one leaf the climbing rose put out.

Old 06-29-2022, 09:12 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
-
I know you all are saying to pull it out, but it's in its own half barrel and only about 6" tall, so I can't bring myself to trash it.
Ah, in a barrel is fine, at least for a while. Just never EVER plant one in the ground.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:53 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:

..... I just planted the wisteria so the roots couldn't be rotted in this short of time. I think. I'll leave it for a while and see what happens.

--------------------

My bulbs though. I know I didn't plant them deep enough and I'm sure I planted them upside down. I also know they sure didn't get the spacing they should have and most of them have been planted at the wrong time of year. I will say though, we are finally experiencing spring. Just four months late. I have heard that bulbs can take up to 60 days to get going so I'm also going to just see what happens. I didn't pay that much for them.
Just leave the wisteria in the container and let it do it's thing to see if it comes back to life. Keep the soil evenly damp so it stays hydrated. It might be delayed in reviving but at least give it until next spring to see how it does and if new green growth becomes evident. It's good that it's in a container instead of in the ground, if the wisteria is confined within it's own half barrel and the roots aren't allowed to grow out of drainage holes to spread into the ground it would help to decrease some risk of it becoming invasive. Just make sure to not let any creeping roots or growing vines reach out and touch the ground.

When it flowers (probably not before 3 years) do NOT let the wisteria bean pods mature and explode their beans out of the pods. Yes, they explode and shoot their beans long distances in all directions and that could result in an invasive disaster. As it finishes blooming it would be better to cut off the green bean pods as they appear on the plant before they get a chance to mature.

If it survives and grows well it will need support of a trellis and if the half barrel is made from wood you might eventually have to transfer the plant to a non-wooden barrel that the roots can't split and break up into pieces.

Do lots of research about it. Remember all parts of the plant are toxic, in the event you have curious pets or children playing in the garden. Good luck with your wisteria.

What kinds of bulbs did you plant?

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-30-2022 at 01:02 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 04:10 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Will my wisteria plant ever grow?"...Trust me, you do not want it to grow. Trash it before it takes over.
LOL this is exactly what I was thinking. We planted one of these monsters in a trellis. After about 4 years, it was starting to pull the trellis out of the ground and was spreading roots everywhere.

Last fall we spent a day chopping this beast out, but this spring, lots of re-emergence form the roots we did not extract.

We took care to dispose of the wisteria cuttings so that there was no way this invasive plant could ever spread. I would never recommend growing one of these.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Just leave the wisteria in the container and let it do it's thing to see if it comes back to life. Keep the soil evenly damp so it stays hydrated. It might be delayed in reviving but at least give it until next spring to see how it does and if new green growth becomes evident. It's good that it's in a container instead of in the ground, if the wisteria is confined within it's own half barrel and the roots aren't allowed to grow out of drainage holes to spread into the ground it would help to decrease some risk of it becoming invasive. Just make sure to not let any creeping roots or growing vines reach out and touch the ground.

When it flowers (probably not before 3 years) do NOT let the wisteria bean pods mature and explode their beans out of the pods. Yes, they explode and shoot their beans long distances in all directions and that could result in an invasive disaster. As it finishes blooming it would be better to cut off the green bean pods as they appear on the plant before they get a chance to mature.

If it survives and grows well it will need support of a trellis and if the half barrel is made from wood you might eventually have to transfer the plant to a non-wooden barrel that the roots can't split and break up into pieces.

Do lots of research about it. Remember all parts of the plant are toxic, in the event you have curious pets or children playing in the garden. Good luck with your wisteria.

What kinds of bulbs did you plant?

I have birds, squirrels, and chipmunks.

I really don't know what bulbs I planted. I have 3 calla lilies. Those are the only things growing right now. Two of them are coming up. I also planted a bunch of gladiolas. Usually I just looked at the pictures, decided I liked what I saw, and ordered it. Some of the bulbs are a year old and I don't think they're going to grow. I dug a few of them up and they don't even have any roots on them and they've been planted for a month now. They were kept in a cool place, but still...

My wildflower seeds aren't really growing either. Now the birdseed and sunflower seeds I throw out for the birds grows like wildfire. Maybe I'm trying to grow the wrong thing.

One thing I did have good luck on last year was laying out one of those "wildflower carpets". Some of those flowers are really doing well this year. But a lot of them were dug up when the squirrel kept burying the sunflower seeds (which is how I know those grow well) and I found out you really need to throw dirt on the carpet for anything to grow at all. The carpet was also too wide for my flower bed, so I've widened the bed this year.

Now I've got quail scratching in the bed and I don't know if they're eating the birdseed that ends up in there or the wildflower seed.

The best garden I ever had was when my (lazy) contractor threw sand out over my new yard instead of loam and I had a bucket of wildflower seeds. I threw those seeds out like chicken feed and they really took off, especially the second year. I can't seem to find buckets of wildflower seed again now, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden