U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 05:52 AM

8,970 posts, read 4,950,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"a formal, elaborate boxwood garden" cardboard boxes painted green will give the same visual appeal as a boxwood, and are far easier to maintain. I must be the only gardener in VA that doesn't think the boxwood is some kind of national treasure.....
Actually, I don't really like boxwood all that much either but the formal garden is already there, and the potential for a really amazing native garden on the rest of the lot is a huge draw. TBH, if I could swing the roof replacement, I'd make an offer on the house and all. The main problem for me isn't the house, it's the locations. There is absolutely nothing in the town. I lived farther out before, but at least we had a grocery store and a small medical clinic. Port Royal has the river and traffic on Rte. 301. I have a feeling that the offer that was made yesterday will be accepted and the whole dream will be moot. There is an out of state executor and the property has been on the market for 6 months. They'll probably be thrilled with any reasonable number.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 06:25 AM

12,244 posts, read 15,657,070 times
I must say I love it all. That said, my gut is that there are many "surprises" lying behind, under, above and inside those walls that it would cost a fortune to restore. But, I too could see your vision for those gardens and after a while it could be a gorgeous improvement.
Maybe you could approach the new owners and work on it for them in exchange for credit and perhaps some rights to photograph etc. Them paying of course.

I watched the video and love it even more. But, oh the surprises. Reminds me of the movie the Money Pit.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 07-19-2022 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-19-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I must say I love it all. That said, my gut is that there are many "surprises" lying behind, under, above and inside those walls that it would cost a fortune to restore. But, I too could see your vision for those gardens and after a while it could be a gorgeous improvement.
Maybe you could approach the new owners and work on it for them in exchange for credit and perhaps some rights to photograph etc. Them paying of course.

I watched the video and love it even more. But, oh the surprises. Reminds me of the movie the Money Pit.
Haha, no. I only work on land I own, unless I'm doing it as a Master Gardener. At least I receive volunteer hours for that labor, not like that "gets" me anything except an award at certain milestones.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:29 AM

Well, just got an email from the realtor that the house went under contract. I did ask her to pass along to the buyer that I'd like to buy the garden lot if they're interested in splitting it off, since it's already on a separate deed. They might need the $$$ for all the restoration work the house requires, so, as my late MIL used to say (endlessly) "You never know".

Old 07-19-2022, 11:05 AM

3,734 posts, read 1,812,006 times
Egads, those listing photos are horrid. That historic property deserved better than poor cellphone images.

That being said, that's a house that needs a lot of work (retro-renovating were it makes sense starting with those can lights and the bathrooms--bad things happened to that house in the last twenty-thirty years), but the bones are excellent for both house and garden. There's a lot to like about the property. It would be interesting to see what the new owners do with the place.

Old 07-19-2022, 12:11 PM

3,899 posts, read 2,900,393 times
Love the house and property, despise the modernized kitchen and baths.

Old 07-19-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Egads, those listing photos are horrid. That historic property deserved better than poor cellphone images.

That being said, that's a house that needs a lot of work (retro-renovating were it makes sense starting with those can lights and the bathrooms--bad things happened to that house in the last twenty-thirty years), but the bones are excellent for both house and garden. There's a lot to like about the property. It would be interesting to see what the new owners do with the place.
The listing photos aren't horrid enough when it comes to the roof, which is in dire shape (although not as dire as the house across the street. I don't know how they actually keep water out of their house, if they even do). The exterior siding is also in sad shape and needs painting ASAP, as it is peeling and cracking big time. Both projects will be expensive, large projects . The boxwood garden actually doesn't look as bad up close as the pictures depicted; most of the weeds could be easily removed and the paths re-mulched quite easily. The beds inside could be planted this fall with bulbs and perennials. The real work lies with the trees, which require an arborist's attention. Some are massive and will need pruning and possible removal (some dead pines in the back against the fence). I stopped by the property after a trip to the neighboring county to see one of my garden helpers (he still had my credit card from buying mulch last Sunday). That worked out well, since it isn't much farther to drive over the river where the property is.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:37 AM

44,620 posts, read 27,467,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That’s very cool but in my experience- I run FAST from anything on the hysterical registry. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.
i tend to agree. the red tape and oversight involved would be more than i could take.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i tend to agree. the red tape and oversight involved would be more than i could take.
The garden by itself isn't covered by any regulations since it is on a separate lot. However, an owner would be remiss in doing anything to it that would detract from the historic home given its proximity.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:23 AM

45,598 posts, read 56,911,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The garden by itself isn't covered by any regulations since it is on a separate lot. However, an owner would be remiss in doing anything to it that would detract from the historic home given its proximity.
I don’t know how old you are, bungalove, but I think you dodged a bullet with the house. That house looks like a labor of love for a young couple, with lots of enthusiasm and money.

I’m a master gardener too, and I can almost hear the boxwoods crying, “help me” from here. I get that transforming that garden would be a lot of fun. I hope you get to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden